I hardly ever use the "in-between" positions on my strat

warioblast

• Members

I go "position 2" (between neck and middle) probably 75% of the time when playing my "strat" (Yamaha PAC, which I love). That position (though noisy at times), is so liquidy and silky sounding - I love it for a lot of rhythm stuff. I'd hardly play the strat without that position.

Even if you don't use those 2 positions now, you might really want to later and you'll regret getting the thing neutered. Plus if you're not using em now, it's still not that hard to switch around them for now. I wouln't go 3 switch on a strat - no way.

PEACE love and understanding

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
It's cheesy crap

All it does it put the pickups out of phase with one another so that the midrange frequencies are cancelled out

People like it so much because its basically "scooping" the mids

It does not put them out of phase. They would need to be specifically wired for that.:)

• Members

It's cheesy crap

All it does it put the pickups out of phase with one another so that the midrange frequencies are cancelled out

People like it so much because its basically "scooping" the mids

Nope.

I like to wire strats with the middle pickup out of phase.

The two tone controls are quite effective after that.

What you are describing is parallel wiring, and it lacks midrange because single coils lack midrange.

• Members

I almost always use my bridge humbucker, mostly because it is more consistent for multiple applications. I really like the sound of the neck pickup, rarely use the 2 position and NEVER use the middle pickup alone.

you don't count in this thread... hb'd strats don't count.

• Members

I like my Strat wired with volume, blend, and tone.

The blend blends the neck and bridge pickups, so you can blend one with the other in any position that uses either one, in any amount you like. So you can get neck with some bridge, bridge with some neck, or 50/50 neck/bridge, or all 3 pickups when using the in-between settings (really great tone) as well as middle alone.

• Members

When I first got my strat, all I used was was 2 and 4.

Now that I've had it a while, I find myself using 1,3,5 more and I'm starting to wonder if I'd just be better off with a Tele. Positions 2 and 4 just sound so much like a Strat that I'm just not interested in them at all.

• Members

Strats have always been my favorite guitars (boo, yeah, I know).
Bridge has always been my least favorite position (boo, yeah, I know).

That being said, I use the neck and neck/mid (1&2?) 90% of the time. The tones I get there are just so spanky dark and woody. I love it. Yep, that's right. I said spanky and woody.

I say keep it how it is, or like skreddy mentioned, add a blend control. I'm considering that myself. And/or changing the 2nd tone control from the middle to the bridge.

• Members

I got to the point where I only really like the neck position on my strat. I got a stat pickup for my tele's neck spot and now it's like the best of both worlds. My tele is really my favorite guitar now. While I want to sell my strat, I know that I would regret doing so and they are so cheap (and mine is pimped) it's not worth getting rid of it.

• Members

A blender pot (or the like) is the single best upgrade that you can do to a Strat, without question. Why they're not standard equipment on every Strat made, I have no clue.

You can get into Tele territory with a blender pot. It's not exact, but it's close.

• Members

for years i was a neck pickup only player, only rarely neck + mid

but neck only was my favorite sound

after doing some recording and mixing i realized that my sound clashes a lot with the frequencies of the bass and the mix becomes muddy

then i changed the amp from pv classic 30 to sovtek mig50h which is a darker sounding amp so my neck position clashes even more with bass, noticeable even in rehearsal.

since then i almost stopped using neck position and use all the 4 others

2 and 4 have also the advantage to cancel out 60cycle hum

i guess neck is still my favorite sound, put if you put it up in band context it doesn't work out that well, so its good to have several options

• Members

for years i was a neck pickup only player, only rarely neck + mid

but neck only was my favorite sound

after doing some recording and mixing i realized that my sound clashes a lot with the frequencies of the bass and the mix becomes muddy

then i changed the amp from pv classic 30 to sovtek mig50h which is a darker sounding amp so my neck position clashes even more with bass, noticeable even in rehearsal.

since then i almost stopped using neck position and use all the 4 others

2 and 4 have also the advantage to cancel out 60cycle hum

i guess neck is still my favorite sound, put if you put it up in band context it doesn't work out that well, so its good to have several options

I agree, for the most part. I use the neck mostly for solos or riffs which I tend to boost anyway. They stand out a bit better that way.

• Members
I've tried several mods on my LP; coil-split, parallel / series ...

I quickly put it back to stock specs.
:lol:

Well mine is really an ESP ltd ec-400, so not a real LP (but better :) ).

It only has two pickups- bridge and neck, and they're both humbuckers.
But I can set it to the middle position so both the neck and bridge are on, then split the coils. I LOVE that tone, particularly for cleans. I can get more of the 4th position by playing closer to the bridge, and more of the 2nd position playing closer to the neck. Sweet! :love:

Archived