Favorite Authors/Books

JaredVR

• Members

my all-time favorite novel, or novel series is The Dark Tower. and I'm not even that much a fan of SK's strictly horror stuff.
it's just so sprawling! the audiobook version is fantastic, as well. the acting is perfect!

otherwise been reading a lot of Arthur C Clarke and Neil Gaiman these days, soem Noam Chomsky, Frederik Pohl

• Members

my all-time favorite novel, or novel series is The Dark Tower. and I'm not even that much a fan of SK's strictly horror stuff.

it's just so sprawling! the audiobook version is fantastic, as well. the acting is perfect!

This is one of my favorites too. But I don't normally list stephen king because most people don't even realize what the dark tower is and think you are reading the generic SK horror. The Stand is also fantastic.

• Members

This is one of my favorites too. But I don't normally list stephen king because most people don't even realize what the dark tower is and think you are reading the generic SK horror. The Stand is also fantastic.

exactly! it's several notches above the regular stuff he does (out of those I've read, I've not checkedo ut the Stand yet)

there are parts in it that bother me, but the good stuff more than compensated for it

• Members
David Gemmel..Morningstar

Harry Turtledove..Wisdom of the Fox series

J.R Tolkien Lord of the Rings

Ayn Ryand Atlas Shrugged

Hemingway Farewell to Arms

Harper Lee To kill a Mockingbird

Edgar Alan Poe

Reading it now, great book, Rand is an outstanding author. :thu:

I like turn-of-the-century modernist stuff a lot; Beckett, Joyce, Kafka, Mann, Maugham, that sort of thing.

And The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

• Members

if you liked the dark tower, the stand is a must. it's his best standalone book (though dark tower IV comes close)

I didn't really like the last couple books in the series, but the first 5.5 made it worth it.

yeah same. II, III and IV were especially mindblowing and heart-wrenching

cool, I'll shift the Stand up on my list

• Members

I love reading but this thread is a bit useless.

We need to list books by certain authors and what the style is.

George Orwell: 1984 (sci-fi/dystopian) Down and Out in Paris And London (1st hand account of living like a tramp in early 20th century)

Sebastian Faulks: Birdsong (1st world war story focussing on the mental state of one maion character)

John Whyndam: Chocky, The Chrysalids, The Midwich Cuckoos (excellent sci-fi, thought provoking. More human based than aliens and laser guns)

• Members

some of my fave crime/detective/thriller writers...

Elmore Leonard, George Pelecanos, Dennis Lehane, Richard Stark!!! (and his wimpy other half Donald Westlake), and the masters Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammet.

• Members

Who are everyone's favorite authors/books? I think mine are between kerouac, Borges, Vonnegut, and Bradbury.

Disclaimer: If this was already a thread do not blame me, I searched and found nothing, but as we all know the search function leaves much to be desired.

{censored} yes, a Borges fan! I never meet anyone who reads him, and I have a devil of a time convincing my friends to read his stories, but he's so {censored}ing amazing.

favorite authors:

Dostoevsky

Borges

JG Ballard

favorite books:

City of Glass, Paul Auster

The Idiot, Dostoevsky

currently reading:

Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole

If on a winter's night a traveler, Italo Calvino

• Members

I love reading but this thread is a bit useless.

We need to list books by certain authors and what the style is.

George Orwell: 1984 (sci-fi/dystopian) Down and Out in Paris And London (1st hand account of living like a tramp in early 20th century)

If you like those and haven't read "Homage to Catalonia" and "Keep the Aspidistra Flying", you really need to read them.

• Members

I second the recommendation for The Stand if you liked the Dark Tower series.

I also recommend 'Salem's Lot. It's not on par with The Dark Tower series or The Stand, but it's well worth reading.

yeah same. II, III and IV were especially mindblowing and heart-wrenching

cool, I'll shift the Stand up on my list

Archived