Favorite Authors/Books

JaredVR

• Members

Who are everyone's favorite authors/books? I think mine are between kerouac, Borges, Vonnegut, and Bradbury.

Disclaimer: If this was already a thread do not blame me, I searched and found nothing, but as we all know the search function leaves much to be desired.

• Members

I really need to broaden my horizens, because as of now all my favorite writers are American from the past 200 years.

Salinger, Twain, Vonnegut, Bukowski right now.

I have a couple books on the shelf I should start, "Midnight's Children", "the Fountainhead", "American God's", "Siddartha", and "Gravity's Rainbow". Damn my laziness.

• Members

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is one of my favorite books ever.

For some reason, The Count of Monte Cristo is still one of my favorites. I think it must be my inner 14 year old crying for adventure. My outer 32 year old doesn't give a {censored} anymore.

I also love me some Vonnegut.

I really dig Elmore Leonard. It might not be the most cerebral {censored} in the world, but I'm not sure he's not the best dialog writer that ever lived. He's a {censored}ing blast to read.

Lately I've been reading a lot of old science fiction and crime fiction short stories. Short stories are a lost art and I wish someone would bring them back.

Also, I really like Richard Russo. Every one of his books is like a Springsteen album. Loser in a loser town type stuff. I like it a lot.

• Members

I'm assuming that should be my next read? (Read above post, haha) Doesn't look like it'll be to long of one, as well.

Haha yea do it. It's short and super enlightening (no pun intended). Just a great book, period.

• Members

Bukowski-Factotum, Women, most of his books of poetry

Dostoyevsky-Notes from Underground

Douglas Adams-Whole Hitchhiker and Dirk Gently series (even funnier on audiobook)

Burroughs-Naked Lunch (It's cliche, but the whole bit about the Guy Who Taught his Asshole to Talk is really really good). Side note: Watch A Thanksgiving Prayer on Thanksgiving every year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31hQ8TrT5M

• Members

I'm not a high brow lit kind of guy. Something I'd like to move into.

My favorite writers, being the guys that i set out to read everything they wrote.

Dan Brown
Bill Bryson
Henry Rollins
Neil Peart
Craig Thompson (wrote a graphic novel, still one of the best narratives ever)

• Members

Oh, I also really liked The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night Time...

This was such a fantastic book, having taken a few education classes and worked with children with Autism it's amazing how accurate it seems, as one can only imagine how the Autistic mind works. Read it in one sitting.

Archived