headphones for effect

bonaventura

• Members

hi guys, im new here and i got a question to ask re: headphones.

so obviously my noodling does not impress the wife (and in laws to say the least) so im thinking abt getting a pair of decent headphones for practice (sub USD100's will be great :thu: ).

my quick research so far has lead me to sony V600, sennheiser HD 205 (or 215) and akg.

so anyone can give some advice on what model and most importantly, features, should i aim for?

thanks...

btw im using Zoom G7

• Members

I have some Sennheiser HD201s that I bought to use with my electric drum kit. They sound good. I have no complaints. I haven't tried them with my Zoom G2 yet, but maybe I should...

I have HD202's and they seem good to me....nice fit, decent sound. I use them for all manner of stuff from recording to listening to my MP3 player at home .... excellent 'budget' headphones.

• Members
I've got a pair of these

dt770pro80ohm.jpg

Really comfy and sound great. Though if you want to use them with your ipod you'll find you have to set the volume louder than normal to get the same result.

yes. i used to work for BD before i moved. Great products, some of the best headphones i've graced my ears with. The tone and comfort means little ear fatigue, which is great when mixing/critical listening... also, the isolation on the 770s is {censored}ing superb, which seems to be the big issue for the OP. For mixing i actually use 990s, because the stereo spread is much better with open air headphones.

For the OP, the 770's are highly recommended - If you're using amp sims, the quality of your headphone drivers (ear-speakers in laymans terms) really matters. Simply put, changing the speakers out of a cab has the same effect. The even/flat and accurate response of the 770s really makes the heaphone outs on many products 'make sense'. Try the headphone out with any other consumer-line pair and listen to the {censored}. Even practicing technical drills on my Boss Dr. Beat thru the 770's sounds good; and i doubt the headphone out on a metronome is really something that one would go to for 'good tone'

• Members
yes
. i used to work for BD before i moved. Great products, some of the best headphones i've graced my ears with. The tone and comfort means little ear fatigue, which is great when mixing/critical listening... also, the isolation on the 770s is {censored}ing superb, which seems to be the big issue for the OP. For mixing i actually use 990s, because the stereo spread is much better with open air headphones.

For the OP, the 770's are highly recommended - If you're using amp sims, the quality of your headphone drivers (ear-speakers in laymans terms) really matters. Simply put, changing the speakers out of a cab has the same effect. The even/flat and accurate response of the 770s really makes the heaphone outs on many products 'make sense'. Try the headphone out with any other consumer-line pair and listen to the {censored}. Even practicing technical drills on my Boss Dr. Beat thru the 770's sounds good; and i doubt the headphone out on a metronome is really something that one would go to for 'good tone'

yeah, but those are over $200 .... a bit overkill to plug into a Zoom G7 imo... especially as the OP was looking for 'sub $100' :facepalm:

• Members

yeah, but those are over $200 .... a bit overkill to plug into a Zoom G7 imo... especially as the OP was looking for 'sub $100'
:facepalm:

oh im sorry, didnt fully read the OP. & no, they're NOT overkill. what the hell is overkill anyway. you get what you pay for.

i did have a few for sale @ $100 back when i had a # of refurbed ones at my disposal. do a search, i guarantee you can find some for under $200.

even better, get in touch with their service center, i know that they have refurbed units for much cheaper. 631.864.2450. ask for Dan or Pete & inquire about Dt770s in stock (which they have). Refurb'd essentially means new headphones - you get a fully tested pair with a new cable and earpads.

i know GC employees get them for cost @ $80 a pair.

is that a proper facepalm rebuttal?:wave:

• Members

so mid-lower end sennheiser/BD (how come i didnt think of it before)/Sony/Phillips should do the trick.

like i said before i was researching in various hifi forums but the level complexity of the discussion in the those forums threw me off. :freak:

well at least i got my starting point. now on to product testing!!

thanks guys....

:thu:

Sony 7506's aren't too bad. They have decent isolation, and they sound pretty decent, but they're pretty bright. Not the best match for use with an amp sim IMO.

For ultimate isolation, I like the Extreme Isolation headphones. When all else fails to kill headphone bleed, these are the cans to reach for. Some people find them a bit "tight" to wear, but they're not too horribly uncomfortable.

Grados are great sounding headphones, but they're not the most comfortable cans either. Also, because they use an open backed design, they do leak more than sealed headphones.

Sennheiser HD280 are within your budget and have great isolation, and they're much less harsh sounding than the Sonys IMHO.

Even better IMO, especially if a bit of bleed (not as bad as fully open cans like the Grados, but more than fully sealed cans like the HD280) isn't going to be an issue, are the Fostex T-20's. Those are my primary "listening" headphones. Well under $100 - more like $60 IIRC.

It's all a trade off. You can have great isolation, but the stereo imaging and bass accuracy are going to suffer at least a bit compared to open backed cans. You can have rugged construction and killer sound, but it's going to cost you more for that. But really, for what the OP wants to do with them, practically anything could work. ANY cans - even a leaky pair of open backed headphones - are going to be considerably quieter than hearing an amp, and in order for the sound of the leakage to be annoying, you're going to have to be fairly close to them and / or playing at volume levels that are unsafe for the person wearing the cans.

Archived