Ebow users I have a question

mikeoxlong

• Members

Just got an e bow, i love it, I've used them before, but I don't see how responsive some people can get them. Is a compressor required for this? Special pickups? When I talk responsive I mean when you hover it over the string it instantly produces a tone, causing very cool violin effects...

any tips?

• Members

The signal will get stronger the closer to a pickup you get. And not just the one that's on - like L_Z_nut said, it can get too dirty if you come too close to the active pickup, but you can also try moving closer to another pickup to increase the intensity. For this reason, I find the e-bow to be easier to control on two-pickup guitars, where there's more room in between.

It takes lots of practice (I'm no expert by any standard), and you'll also have to adjust the volume quite a bit. If you want a quicker attack, you'll need to hover over one of the pickups and then move the e-bow quickly into position (down towards the strings). This will get quite loud, compared to playing in between the pickups, so you need to lower the guitar volume accordingly.

/Andreas

• Members

Practice...Yup

You'll need to find the sweet spot. One place over the pickup will be much louder than everywhere else. It just takes practice to hit that.

It also helps if the string is already vibrating.

My favorite thing for string sounds is roll back the tone knob (no treble) and tame it with a volume pedal.

P.S. I have covered pickups. They have no problem with the ebow.

• Members

A volume pedal is a must IMO.

Absolutely.

And yes, position is VERY important.

I think they used to make a much more powerful version, which would allow you to do things like arpeggios. But position over the pickups is the most important thing to master.

Experiment and get a feel for when it "kicks in" and when it looses power.

• Members

Yeah it just takes some practice and hammer ons are definitely your friend. I usually hammer on and grind the string a bit for lack of a better description just to get it vibrating a little.

• Members

Yeah, the EBow definitely takes a bit of practice, but it is loads of fun once you get it down.

And I agree that a Volume pedal is an absolute MUST when using the Ebow; the Ebow produces a TON of gain and volume boost, so you'll want the volume pedal to help control that a little.

• Members

Just got an e bow, i love it, I've used them before, but I don't see how responsive some people can get them. Is a compressor required for this? Special pickups? When I talk responsive I mean when you hover it over the string it instantly produces a tone, causing very cool violin effects...

any tips?

like everyone else is saying: practice is all you need.

i've used my ebow with various different electric guitars and even my acoustic.

• Members

the technique i use (and probably explained by the mfg) is to use your neck pickup, and start with the ebow near your bridge. Learn your pickup's sensitivity as you slide the ebow toward the neck pickup.

That's the part to master first. Controls the intensity and attack.

Next part to master is to fret a chord and move the ebow perpendicular to the strings in a consistent manner, like how a violinist arpeggiates across the 4 strings with a bow... very difficult to do, but sounds amazing when you nail it. )

• Members

yeah i think i got her down pretty good, just to let you know a compressor helps a lot in controlling it , it makes it more responsive while making it less gainy... anyone wanting one get it, if u like string sounds, hope it works on a bass too

• Members

I think they used to make a much more powerful version, which would allow you to do things like arpeggios.

As far as I know they never made a more powerful version. I got my first Ebow back in the late 70's when they came out - the original chrome model. Then got the second model (the black one w/ red led). This was followed by the current version - the Plus, which is grey with blue led. I like this one the best because it's got a two way switch to bring in higher harmonics.

I've been a big fan of the Ebow and have used it a lot for live playing and recording - however not quite as much lately since getting a Sustainiac. Although they do have a unique sound and and ability to do things that the Sustainiac can't.

I would reinforce what was said above about rolling your guitar's tone knob way down. It gives a smoother less edgy sound. I've also enjoyed experimenting with using it with a Roland guitar synth and also with a lap steel guitar.

• Members

yep, gotta learn to roll back volume, but its also a combination of your position to the pickup, takes practice to find your sweet spots.

Arpeggiation takes a lot of practice to make it sound fluid.. here however, you may want more volume on the pickups because the ebow spends less time over each string to generate the volume. Start with alternating between 2 strings, then 3.. etc. Most of the time, I would arpeggiate just the middle 4 strings, because its really hard to balance the ebow on one rail for both the bottom and top strings. Not that it can't be done, but its difficult.

All these suggestions people have made not exclusive with this thing. Its a combination of all those factors (volume, position, etc.)

Archived