Fuzz Factory or Mastotron?

Sad Darwin

• Members

I would go for the Aenima you were telling me about, get the Mangler, then stick the Aenima and the Fuzzgun into the manglers feedback loop. idea.gif

But out of those two I would go with the Fuzz Factory in a heartbeat. Though if you really need a bass fuzz go for the mastotron. I guess just decide on what you think you really need right now.

I feel like I'm trying to compare apples, oranges, and a pear though.wink.gif

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Fuzz Factory specializes in more blown out, weirder sounds, whereas the Mastotron is a better fuzz across the board (tone control, etc). The Mastotron behaves better in a way that the Fuzz Factory doesn't (even when I tried to install a tone control on the FF, it changed the functions of the other knobs....), but I like the germanium craziness/ graininess of the FF, so i've never been compelled to buy the Mastotron--though I like it generally moreso overall.

• Members

The Fuzz Factory specializes in more blown out, weirder sounds, whereas the Mastotron is a better fuzz across the board (tone control, etc). The Mastotron behaves better in a way that the Fuzz Factory doesn't (even when I tried to install a tone control on the FF, it changed the functions of the other knobs....), but I like the germanium craziness/ graininess of the FF, so i've never been compelled to buy the Mastotron--though I like it generally moreso overall.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Let It Burn...

View Post

If the Fuzz Factory had more low-end, I would have kept mine

If you roll the stab all the way counterclockwise and then tweak the other knobs (none can be that high or that far clockwise though), it reduces the amount of treble drastically. I was about to sell mine until I finally dialed in the right settings--I realized that the drive knob is neither really mild, nor really insane at any setting--it just sort of gets a bit gainier and a bit treblier as the gain goes up, and same with the comp knob....except in that case, it just gets more squished and more treblier as it moves clockwise, and then I squelch the oscillation noises with the gate. I think that the main issue with the FF is not necessarily that there's not enough bass (the flipside of the argument is that a Muff is too bassy); rather, that there's too much treble. Someone here had mentioned the trick to the FF being in the stab knob.....and I agree. It just appears that when you move it anywhere from completely clockwise that it freaks out, but that's untrue--you just have everything else dialed up way too high, and with the sacrifice of a bit of gain, you get alot less treble and alot more useability out of it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Let It Burn...

View Post

If the Fuzz Factory had more low-end, I would have kept mine

If you roll the stab all the way counterclockwise and then tweak the other knobs (none can be that high or that far clockwise though), it reduces the amount of treble drastically. I was about to sell mine until I finally dialed in the right settings--I realized that the drive knob is neither really mild, nor really insane at any setting--it just sort of gets a bit gainier and a bit treblier as the gain goes up, and same with the comp knob....except in that case, it just gets more squished and more treblier as it moves clockwise, and then I squelch the oscillation noises with the gate. I think that the main issue with the FF is not necessarily that there's not enough bass (the flipside of the argument is that a Muff is too bassy); rather, that there's too much treble. Someone here had mentioned the trick to the FF being in the stab knob.....and I agree. It just appears that when you move it anywhere from completely clockwise that it freaks out, but that's untrue--you just have everything else dialed up way too high, and with the sacrifice of a bit of gain, you get alot less treble and alot more useability out of it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sausagefoot

View Post

I guess the distinction I should add would be that I play several different instruments, synths and bass in particular. Playing out I play guitar and synths, but most pedals are devoted to the guitar end.

It seems to me that you should go for the Mastotron. With the Relax/push knob, I think it would be lovely with a synth.

DSCF0050.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sausagefoot

View Post

I guess the distinction I should add would be that I play several different instruments, synths and bass in particular. Playing out I play guitar and synths, but most pedals are devoted to the guitar end.

It seems to me that you should go for the Mastotron. With the Relax/push knob, I think it would be lovely with a synth.

DSCF0050.jpg

• Members

The mastotron is just a woolly mammoth with subs switch and impedance pot (push-relax). other than that its 99.9% identical,yet its about 80% more useful. the pulse width is just the pinch knob renamed BTW. I've built a {censored} load of WM's and variations of it and its a fun little circuit, especially with other tone stacks/higher gain transistors/different value parts etc.

I'm getting a mastotron though, i have a zvex woolly mammoth and like both. I sold my fuzz factory,I don't like the fuzz factory much, its pretty lame.

The mastotron can sound exactly like the WM plus sound way different, its cheaper too and is priced pretty good.

• Members

The mastotron is just a woolly mammoth with subs switch and impedance pot (push-relax). other than that its 99.9% identical,yet its about 80% more useful. the pulse width is just the pinch knob renamed BTW. I've built a {censored} load of WM's and variations of it and its a fun little circuit, especially with other tone stacks/higher gain transistors/different value parts etc.

I'm getting a mastotron though, i have a zvex woolly mammoth and like both. I sold my fuzz factory,I don't like the fuzz factory much, its pretty lame.

The mastotron can sound exactly like the WM plus sound way different, its cheaper too and is priced pretty good.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Belle

View Post

Interesting, and honestly that was my impression overall; it does everything I'd want a Woolly Mammoth to do, but more. The WM is a great pedal, but for the price tag it just wasn't versatile enough, and this is coming from a guy who has spent 650 bucks on a custom filter.

The Fuzz Factory GAS clearly will not dissipate, so if I go Mastotron I'll just have to know that.

I'm still batting around getting a Devi Bit and a Mangler, simply for the WTF factor of it all. I feel like that would definitely be the most "experimental" route of the three, but from a sheer usability perspective the Mastotron is the winner...... or the fuzz factory........ mad.gif

Quote Originally Posted by mikeoxlong

View Post

Lol at the poll results... guess your still undecided

{censored}ing for real, you guys are just not any help mad.gif

At least my shift from hell is over. I worked from 11pm New Years Eve till 3pm New Years day, and stayed up till 8 last night to adjust my schedule back. Now I feel fine and I have 600 bucks (plus 250 Christmas bonus) for the trouble smile.gif

I already got a HOG, and presents for my peeps (which I had accounted for before all this extra dough), and I'm buying my wife and I snazzy phones of the droid variety, so that leaves me with a 200 buck pedal fund......... now I just have to decide mad.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Belle

View Post

Interesting, and honestly that was my impression overall; it does everything I'd want a Woolly Mammoth to do, but more. The WM is a great pedal, but for the price tag it just wasn't versatile enough, and this is coming from a guy who has spent 650 bucks on a custom filter.

The Fuzz Factory GAS clearly will not dissipate, so if I go Mastotron I'll just have to know that.

I'm still batting around getting a Devi Bit and a Mangler, simply for the WTF factor of it all. I feel like that would definitely be the most "experimental" route of the three, but from a sheer usability perspective the Mastotron is the winner...... or the fuzz factory........ mad.gif

Quote Originally Posted by mikeoxlong

View Post

Lol at the poll results... guess your still undecided

{censored}ing for real, you guys are just not any help mad.gif

At least my shift from hell is over. I worked from 11pm New Years Eve till 3pm New Years day, and stayed up till 8 last night to adjust my schedule back. Now I feel fine and I have 600 bucks (plus 250 Christmas bonus) for the trouble smile.gif

I already got a HOG, and presents for my peeps (which I had accounted for before all this extra dough), and I'm buying my wife and I snazzy phones of the droid variety, so that leaves me with a 200 buck pedal fund......... now I just have to decide mad.gif

• Members

Bit Mangler! I was wrestling with a big fuzz decision recently myself and am really glad I went with it. It's extremely versatile, as it gives you straight up Bit or VFM, and {censored}ed up chaos/noise versions of either or both. Plenty of WTF to go around, and plenty of variety in the more conventional ranges. Also if you can find one, you'd better just jump on it quickly without thinking too much about it, since they are OOP and not getting any easier to track down. Sure there will be the Dwarfcraft versions, and the graphics for them are pretty cool, but they aren't half as nice looking as the original BM, which to my eyes is just the best looking pedal ever made.

• Members

Bit Mangler! I was wrestling with a big fuzz decision recently myself and am really glad I went with it. It's extremely versatile, as it gives you straight up Bit or VFM, and {censored}ed up chaos/noise versions of either or both. Plenty of WTF to go around, and plenty of variety in the more conventional ranges. Also if you can find one, you'd better just jump on it quickly without thinking too much about it, since they are OOP and not getting any easier to track down. Sure there will be the Dwarfcraft versions, and the graphics for them are pretty cool, but they aren't half as nice looking as the original BM, which to my eyes is just the best looking pedal ever made.

Archived