Fuzz Factory or Mastotron?

Sad Darwin

• Members

Hooray for polls love.gif

Ok, I have an extra couple hundred bucks and I can't get both. Pros and Cons:

Zvex Fuzz Factory: Perpetual GAS for it won't go away, I'm aware of that now (1 year of GAS and running). I have a DBA Fuzzgun, but the FF is definitely a completely different sound. I'm not sure how well it works on bass and synths, or how well it retains sub frequencies. Beyond all that, every FF I've played is different. It might take a bit of trial and error to find the right one. Problem is there are only a couple at the Seattle Guitar Center, and that means online order/return till I love one rather than like one.

Zvex Mastotron: I really love the tonal versatility and retention of subs. More consistent, I could just buy any one and pretty much get what I'm looking for. Great for bass and synths, crazy versatile, but definitely less "weird" and random (a huge factor for me).

Anyway blah.gif

VOTE!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i voted mastotron because it is straight up.

i do miss the oscilations of fuzz factory so i don't know,its really a catch 22. both should be equally valued.

i think perfection could be established by having both along with a tube zipper

• Members

i voted mastotron because it is straight up.

i do miss the oscilations of fuzz factory so i don't know,its really a catch 22. both should be equally valued.

i think perfection could be established by having both along with a tube zipper

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Faldoe

View Post

I voted FF. Sick pedal. Probably my favorite fuzz.... You can get so many sounds out of it. I played a Mastotron briefly, it was cool but I wasn't amazed. Again, I only played it for a few minutes...

I guess the distinction I should add would be that I play several different instruments, synths and bass in particular. Playing out I play guitar and synths, but most pedals are devoted to the guitar end.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Faldoe

View Post

I voted FF. Sick pedal. Probably my favorite fuzz.... You can get so many sounds out of it. I played a Mastotron briefly, it was cool but I wasn't amazed. Again, I only played it for a few minutes...

I guess the distinction I should add would be that I play several different instruments, synths and bass in particular. Playing out I play guitar and synths, but most pedals are devoted to the guitar end.

• Members

I've only owned the Mastotron, and it was good, but I sold it. Decided it wasn't the fuzz for me. I'd like to try a FF, but I think I would come to the same conclusion, that it isn't for me. It is definitely pickier too about pedal order, and as you mentioned, they aren't all the same. I think in your case, I would go FF.

• Members

I've only owned the Mastotron, and it was good, but I sold it. Decided it wasn't the fuzz for me. I'd like to try a FF, but I think I would come to the same conclusion, that it isn't for me. It is definitely pickier too about pedal order, and as you mentioned, they aren't all the same. I think in your case, I would go FF.

• Members

Voted Mastotron for the massive subs. The randomness/whargarbl factor is the only thing that really interests me in the Fuzz Factory, but that can be had with lots of other weirdo pedals for much less than a handpainted FF. Masto seems like it would be great for stacking with those kinds of pedals.

• Members

Voted Mastotron for the massive subs. The randomness/whargarbl factor is the only thing that really interests me in the Fuzz Factory, but that can be had with lots of other weirdo pedals for much less than a handpainted FF. Masto seems like it would be great for stacking with those kinds of pedals.

Archived