So I Bought A Diamond Tremolo TRM-1

mikeoxlong

• Members

Awesome. Thanks mang
:thu:

I just watched the empress demo again... looks cool, though many of those extra rhythm modes can be achieved using the depth knob and it doesn't sound half as cool as this thing... this one is more unique 100% analog and can even be used as a clean boost, beauty pedal..

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love Camaros. My first car was a Camaro. But the one in yur Avatar is {censored}.

Thanks man. That is my car (first car as well). Got it when I was about to turn 16 - a v6 though so that was a bummer. I added the wheels and stripes and finially got around to dropping a cammed 350 with some longtubes in it a couple years ago. It is my baby and I will never get rid of it (hopefully anyways...)

Wow...post hijack...sorry about that, but I love me some car talk.

• Members

Such as?

I'd love to hear your thoughts - good and bad.

BAD:

1. the tap tempo is good but takes some time to get used to... especially with the different modes, it can be tricky tapping in a triplet and getting what you want... I still need to spend more time figuring this out

2.The only thing I really didn't like was the wave form toggle switch.... you toggle the switch to get the different wave forms... the led's do a great job by letting you know which wave form you are on, but when you unplug the pedal it reverts back to the first wave form.... not really a big deal but it's annoying when everytime you plug in your board you have to toggle to the trem you want instead of it being dialed in all the time.

GOOD:

Those are the only things that stop this pedal from being absolutely perfect.... the vintage shark fin and sine wave trems are like butter and sound pristine as you can imagine.... the level knob is comprised of diamonds ballsy clean boost... the rhythmic setting is interesting and is really cool coupled with offbeat strumming and delays... the random mode is one of a kind which can make for some crazy effects.... square wave sounds awesome and not too harsh... all very warm and analogy like we all love... the chop wave is probably my favourite and the most unique, it's a fierce and screaming wave that sounds like a kill switch or toggling between an off pickup.... thing sounds really really cool...

the interesting thing too is that different rhythmic combinations can be achieved by turning the depth knob up and down, different accents become present and give a whole different sound.

very versatile, very tweakable and overall a great pedal, best trem to date imo

• Members

That pedal looks great.. How are the clean sounds?

I read somewhere that in M mode you can use one of the switches as a temporal tremolo, meaning that it engadges the effects only while you're keeping the switch pressed.

Is that so? Did you tried it?

• Members

That pedal looks great.. How are the clean sounds?

I read somewhere that in M mode you can use one of the switches as a temporal tremolo, meaning that it engadges the effects only while you're keeping the switch pressed.

Is that so? Did you tried it?

Hi triviani, with regards to 'M' mode, the tap switch works just as you have described when using the Sine, Triangle or Square waves, engaging the trem only when the tap switch is held down. This allows you to do things like easily add trem to one chord of a progression, to the decay of a ringing chord or to a particular riff.

However, when the 'Chop' waveform is engaged, 'M' mode does something slightly different- the tap switch becomes a manual killswitch, allowing you to replicate the whole 'flipping the toggle on a Les Paul with one pickup turned all the way down' thing. The nice thing is, because you're doing this with your foot, it leaves your hands free to keep playing. It does take a little practice to get used to but can be a really cool effect.

• Members

Three ridiculously specific questions:

Firstly, which direction does the 'shark fin' wave go? /|/|/| or ||| ?

(I'm assuming it's the first; slow rise, quick drop)

And secondly, is there a slight boost with the depth rolled completely off? And with the Depth all the way on, is there any overall volume drop? I'm trying to find a trem that doesn't do this and the Carl Martin Surf Trem has been the only one that has an even volume across the range of the depth knob (even the Demeter Tremulator couldn't manage to do that!) but I'm after something that's more versatile.

• Members

Three ridiculously specific questions:

Firstly, which direction does the 'shark fin' wave go? /|/|/| or ||| ?

(I'm assuming it's the first; slow rise, quick drop)

And secondly, is there a slight boost with the depth rolled completely off? And with the Depth all the way on, is there any overall volume drop? I'm trying to find a trem that doesn't do this and the Carl Martin Surf Trem has been the only one that has an even volume across the range of the depth knob (even the Demeter Tremulator couldn't manage to do that!) but I'm after something that's more versatile.

I think the shark fin wave has the shark swimming to the right if ya know what I mean |, I'm not at home to double check but I think thats the way she goes.

Don't worry about a volume drop, the volume knob combats this fantastically... the volume control will vary between different wave patterns but if you are on the shark fin and you put the depth to 0 this thing can be used as a clean boost... The boost sounds very nice, similar if not the same as the one found in the j-drive mk3. lots of volume, you can even set this trem to be louder than the original signal with the trem fully engaged.

• Members

Hi triviani, with regards to 'M' mode, the tap switch works just as you have described when using the Sine, Triangle or Square waves, engaging the trem only when the tap switch is held down. This allows you to do things like easily add trem to one chord of a progression, to the decay of a ringing chord or to a particular riff.

However, when the 'Chop' waveform is engaged, 'M' mode does something slightly different- the tap switch becomes a manual killswitch, allowing you to replicate the whole 'flipping the toggle on a Les Paul with one pickup turned all the way down' thing. The nice thing is, because you're doing this with your foot, it leaves your hands free to keep playing. It does take a little practice to get used to but can be a really cool effect.

this is spot on, very cool feature

• Members

I think the shark fin wave has the shark swimming to the right if ya know what I mean |, I'm not at home to double check but I think thats the way she goes.

Don't worry about a volume drop, the volume knob combats this fantastically... the volume control will vary between different wave patterns but if you are on the shark fin and you put the depth to 0 this thing can be used as a clean boost... The boost sounds very nice, similar if not the same as the one found in the j-drive mk3. lots of volume, you can even set this trem to be louder than the original signal with the trem fully engaged.

'Doh! I totally forgot there was a separate volume control on this one. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. I might save up for one, but I do prefer having a trem with both 'directions' of sharkfin/sawtooth waves available to use. So close, yet so far!

• Members

'Doh! I totally forgot there was a separate volume control on this one.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. I might save up for one, but I do prefer having a trem with both 'directions' of sharkfin/sawtooth waves available to use. So close, yet so far!

sine wave gets close enough.... the other waves more than make up for it:thu:

Thanks for stopping in to comment Aimish. :cool:

Does the tap tempo require three taps to input triplet tempo, or do you just tap in a steady pulse and the pedal calculates the triplet subdivision?

Sounds like you guys have a potential hit on your hands - I'm definitely going to swing by the NAMM booth and check it out. :thu:

• Members

Thanks for stopping in to comment Aimish.
:cool:

Does the tap tempo require three taps to input triplet tempo, or do you just tap in a steady pulse and the pedal calculates the triplet subdivision?

Sounds like you guys have a potential hit on your hands - I'm definitely going to swing by the NAMM booth and check it out.

so is Amish the guy behind diamond? If so may I express my gratitude and respect ..... though he needs to respond to my email already :poke:

• Members

so is Amish the guy behind diamond? If so may I express my gratitude and respect ..... though he needs to respond to my email already :poke:

Hey mikeoxlong, sorry if I haven't responded to your email, we're digging out from under an avalanche of emails and dealer orders that arrived over the Christmas break.

I can't take credit for the Tremolo design, Michael Knappe is really the guy behind the design of all of our products. I provide input on feature set and product development, play test and suggest tweaks, etc.

• Members

Hey mikeoxlong, sorry if I haven't responded to your email, we're digging out from under an avalanche of emails and dealer orders that arrived over the Christmas break.

I can't take credit for the Tremolo design, Michael Knappe is really the guy behind the design of all of our products. I provide input on feature set and product development, play test and suggest tweaks, etc.

For sure that is totally understandable.... I have 3

questions if you don't mind :)

Is it possible to mod the TRM-1 so that the toggle switch remains on the setting you last had it at even after being unplugged?

and

Can the J-drive MK3 take 18 volts?

Once again, loving the pedals, my memory lane 2 will never ever leave my board:love:

• Members

Can the J-drive MK3 take 18 volts?

Definitely! Having tried it, there's not a huge difference in sound but give it a try, you may like it better at 18V.

Thanks for digging our pedals and choosing them from all the great stuff that's out there.

• Members

No, adding that functionality would require a programmable memory. Sorry!

Definitely! Having tried it, there's not a huge difference in sound but give it a try, you may like it better at 18V.

Thanks for digging our pedals and choosing them from all the great stuff that's out there.

thanks! Since you are here my memory lane is acting funny, When I plug in an expression pedal to the delay time expression spot it doesnt work and the pedal shorts out when I put my heal down???? The repeats section works (which is what I use it for), it is still under warranty but the place i got it from plans on fixing it themselves and I don't really trust them to do it quickly, I tour and gig a lot and really can't go without it very long.... have u heard of this? I figure I could solder it myself if I knew where the problem was... everything else works 100%

• Members

Sounds like you guys have a potential hit on your hands - I'm definitely going to swing by the NAMM booth and check it out.

We're extremely proud of this pedal. It sounds great, is easy to use but still offers lots of flexibility. Be sure to drop by the booth (Hall D, #3097), it will be good to see you!

• Members

thanks! Since you are here my memory lane is acting funny, When I plug in an expression pedal to the delay time expression spot it doesnt work and the pedal shorts out when I put my heal down???? The repeats section works (which is what I use it for), it is still under warranty but the place i got it from plans on fixing it themselves and I don't really trust them to do it quickly, I tour and gig a lot and really can't go without it very long.... have u heard of this? I figure I could solder it myself if I knew where the problem was... everything else works 100%

Hey mikeoxlong- that's a real easy one! I'm guessing you're using a volume pedal for your expression? Simply switch the plugs going into the input and output of the volume pedal. Unfortunately there no real standard for volume and expression pedal wiring and different manufacturers do it differently so once in a while we run into this.

Cheers,

• Members

Hey mikeoxlong- that's a real easy one! I'm guessing you're using a volume pedal for your expression? Simply switch the plugs going into the input and output of the volume pedal. Unfortunately there no real standard for volume and expression pedal wiring and different manufacturers do it differently so once in a while we run into this.

Cheers,

It's a yamaha expression pedal, not a volume, and it works perfectly in the feedback expression jack.? I will try that tho thanks again

• Members

It's a yamaha expression pedal, not a volume, and it works perfectly in the feedback expression jack.? I will try that tho thanks again

Oh, that is an odd one... Do you have a model number for the Yamaha so I can check it out online?

• Members

Oh, that is an odd one... Do you have a model number for the Yamaha so I can check it out online?

I want to say fc-7 but that looks like the volume pedal... it looks identical to it anyhow... I know it's an expression because I had to order it and there was a volume pedal that looked identical in stock..... I'll check when I get off work and let you know....

cheers

Archived