How Does A Person Go About Getting A Sponsorship?

mikeoxlong

• Members

Endorsements are business deals.

Ask yourself. What do I have that will equal or surpass what they have to offer?

If the two companies (you and the other) offer something that is equally beneficial to both. Then something can be worked out.

• Members
yeah, it was a massive break for them at the time. They weren't fans of MCR but when you are playing {censored}ty little london venues week in week out, you don't turn down an offer to tour the country playing to thousands. I have video footage of them playing Brixton Acadamy in front of 5000 people, it's nuts.

Which band is that? I might know them :)

• Members

Every sponsorship my band ever had was generated by our manager...they were all discount deals rather than freebies.

Most of the manufacturers want you to provide a tour schedule and links to websites/myspace pages so they can get an idea of what kind of exposure their gear will get from your use of it.

If you aren't playing crazy amounts of shows, I believe SamAsh still has the "Powered by SamAsh" thing going on. You have to play 4 shows a month and display a banner on stage. In return you get $150 a month to use on disposable items like strings, picks, drum heads, etc.

• Members

I guess that contacting companies doesn't hurt. I've never gone about any sponsored gear things, but I know that some bands have endorsements when they're barely known. Three Inches of Blood, on one of their first few tours through here, had deals with ESP (and I think, pre-Roadrunner days even). I think that they said that they had to give the guitars back, though....it was more like borrowing.

• Members

If you are looking for deals, best thing you can do is get a business license (like $20 depending on where you live), and then ask to stock/carry certian companies products. Then you get stuff at cost instead of artist pricing (which is usually more than dealer cost). Though some companies require you carry insane amount of stock, while others don't really care.

Or you can do like some have suggested and compile a decent demo, a bio, and a letter stating that you like their product and would like to endorse them on the road and through your online site and all that jazz.

• Members

Rob Chappers gets endorsmenets for being in a band and posting youtube shred videos, so maybe try and get a channel going demo'ing some new amp/guitar brands products taht gets people interested?

I think the main reason he got those is really because they basically hired him as a demo guy for their products, thus the videos of him at NAMM etc

• Members

If you aren't playing crazy amounts of shows, I believe SamAsh still has the "Powered by SamAsh" thing going on. You have to play 4 shows a month and display a banner on stage. In return you get $150 a month to use on disposable items like strings, picks, drum heads, etc.

lame, i would never do that

• Members

A good manager will be able to approach companies and get you deals with them. Unless you are huge, don't expect more than an artist discount from the larger companies (Mesa, Fender, Gibson, etc...), which is still very good. Keep in mind that they get approached by so many people asking for free stuff. They usually have a tier system of artist accommodation. Some companies (usually the small to medium sized companies) do take the chance and straight up give you stuff. You may have to sign a contract stating you will make yourself available to the company for promotional needs (i.e., pimping their product at NAMM, making sure to mention said product in interviews, etc....)

When I was touring a lot with a signed band, our management sucked, so I struck out on my own to get my deals. The trick for me was finding out WHO to talk to. With Soldano, I was local, had already bought my amp direct more or less, and had several conversations with Mike to the point where he told me anything I needed as far as service, loaners for TV, tubes, etc... they would stand behind me. With Gibson, I got the contact of the head of Artist Relations for the Pacific Northwest, and sent a simple email briefly explaining who I was, a list of band accomplishments, and what we had upcoming, tour wise and such. They replied back fairly quickly, wanting to have an in person meeting to get a feel for me, so I spent a few hours at one of their showcase locations talking with them and meeting the crew before they gave me the thumbs up.

Approach it not as asking for free stuff, but explaining what you can offer them in terms of brand exposure, and how you can work together for mutual benefit. I copy and pasted a simple email to various companies, changing names and highlighting info that would pertain to the interest of each specific company, and ended up getting favorable responses from Zvex, Lava Cable, Clayton Picks, Graph Tech (they hooked me up with free Tone Pros bridges with their saddles), and various clothing companies. The only time I was rejected was from Groove Tubes, who were really rude in their reply (gist of their response : "We don't just go giving discounts or free stuff to every garage band that asks for it. You need to prove to us that you can be around for 5 or 10 years or longer, like Joe Perry of AEROSMITH..." :facepalm: )

The only time my band was ever approached by a company without prior contact was Dean Markley . That relationship was easy to get started. We just got the rep drunk at a tour stop, and several cases of strings showed up a week later, haha.

• Members

My Chemical Romance are more legit than you, or 90% of this forum will ever be.

Sorry to burst your Indie Kid Bubble.

I will agree with this statement through the 3 Cheers for Sweet Revenge era. That record was AWESOME. Black Parade was terrible IMO.

but you know, different strokes for different folks.

• Members

I will agree with this statement through the 3 Cheers for Sweet Revenge era. That record was AWESOME. Black Parade was terrible IMO.

but you know, different strokes for different folks.

Correct.

"Bullets" was produced but Thursday's Singer and is a tight post-hardcore record.

Black Parade is by no means awful but it really far too flamboyant for my liking and perhaps many others.

They're easy to hate, but they're a good rock band, with good songsmanship. I'll be interested to hear what they do next. Here's to hoping they strip it down back to basics again.

• Members

Send them a professionally written and mature email or letter. Include links and references to what you've accomplished musically. Suck up to them on their gear. Doesn't hurt to know someone who's endorsed.

that or they contact you.

Which reminds me, the guitarist from lynyrd skynyrd is sending a guitar to my school. My jazz band and MTAP teacher's sister is married to him.

• Members

Include links and references to what you've accomplished musically

Doesn't hurt to know someone who's endorsed.

This.

I've been told specifically to drop a friend's name when contacting a sponsor.

However, I won't be doing this until I have accomplished Point A.

Archived