Your favourite Mic and why....

depend son what your micing up.

I prefer the I5 on some amps and some drums. where the 57 i like on V30's and more gainy situations. I feel as if the I5 has a flatter response than the 57, where the 57 is more middy and filtered.

The i5 has a bit of a "scoop" in the mids.

They both have a presence peak, but in different areas. Also, the bottom end is different - it feels much more substantial with the i5 than with the '57.

Shure_SM57_freqResp.gif

Audix i-5:

Audix_i5_freqResp.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just got the lowest model Sterling Audio large diaphram condensor it blows away anything else I have used, for less than the price of a hammer, oops, I mean SM57.

I really like the ST77, myself. Really nice sounding mic, especially for vocals.

I've also been really liking the blumline pair of cascade fathead IIs I've been using lately.

As far as dynamics I also like to mix an sm57 and an audix d3.

• Members
Wow - a 4038 making a unexpected appearance. Classic ribbon!
:cool:
Can you tell us more about the story behind how you and your dad got it and what you use it on Fred?

My dad is a bit hazy about it but in the mid sixties he used to record music on to a Ferrograph reel-to-reel tape machine (which he also gave me and has since been converted to an amp). He thinks he got the 4038 + 2 other STC mic's from his dad ( my grandad) who used to design large exhibitions. My dad suspects that my grandad may have "borrowed" them from an exhibition.

A couple of years ago I went to his house and there was a pile of stuff he was about to throw away. All this was in the pile + a load of other cool stuff. He was happy for me to have all this stuff that was stuck in the attic for decades.

I know it's awful, but I don't really use the 4038. I suggested to sell it and give him the money but he wouldn't let me. One day I'll start using it properly.

• Members

I'm not much of an authority on recording, but the few mics I have work fine for me. Sennheiser MD421, SM57, SM58,...

Also have a great sounding Audio-Technica large diagram condenser mic, forget the type name. But I only really like it as an 'extra' room mic, and for vocals.

• Members

• Members

I was just at my local music store and noticed they had an EV PL20 that has been there forever. Anyone have experience with these? Everything I've read so far about it says they are the same exact mic as the RE20. I know they'll cut me a deal, I think I'll snag it up.

• Members

I recorded bass with my Blue Ball mic two weeks ago. Had an SM57 positioned properly and my Ball just into the blue at at some distance. It was the first time I took it out for real use in years and if I had to measure it, it sounded at least double as good as the SM57. Not as boomy and loose around the low end and very detailed in the mids. Bummer they don't build them anymore...

Anyone else tried them, or the red and 8-ball variant of it?

Blue%20The%20Ball%20Dynamic%20Microphone

I was just at my local music store and noticed they had an EV PL20 that has been there forever. Anyone have experience with these? Everything I've read so far about it says they are the same exact mic as the RE20. I know they'll cut me a deal, I think I'll snag it up.

Yup - it's just a RE20 with a different name on it. Make sure it's working and check the condition of the interior foam. It breaks down after about 10 years, and can be a PITB to replace, although EV does sell a replacement kit. Once it does break down, the repair of the mic gets expensive - a couple hundred, minimum. Assuming the foam's in good shape and it sounds good, it's definitely a great mic and well worth your consideration if the price is reasonable.

• Members

STC/BBC (later Coles) 4038 becuase it looks pretty and my Dad gave it to me.

iphonephotos22_06_2010331.jpg

Also, Steve Albini endorsed them... Cool looking mics. I'd love to test one out.

My favorite has to me the first generation CAD Equitech E-100. Just a friggin' amazing condenser. Does vocals equally as well as bass drum and guitar and theramin. It is really a fantastic mic.

q8uoL.jpg

Archived