What can I do to attempt to sound legit with a Solid State amp?

Sirens35

• Members

I have a budget right now to afford 2 pedals.. I cant afford a tube amp for about another 5 months, and Im using my solid state Randall halfstack (sounds like mud compared to my bandmates' beautiful Marshall JCM900)

What can I do to "attempt" to sound legit with my Randall?

• Members

I get good sounds with solid state amps all the time. Just gotta tweak it.

yeah, I don't even think it's the amp... SS amps aren't usually known as 'sounding like mud' I suspect it's the guitar or more specifically the pickups that are making it sound muddy.

• Members

yeah, I don't even think it's the amp... SS amps aren't usually known as 'sounding like mud' I suspect it's the guitar or more specifically the pickups that are making it sound muddy.

I got a very metal guitar.. the Epiphone LP Studio with EMG 81/85s I think..I think that also has to do with it sounding so dark/muddy

• Members

I use a solid state amp and I've been complimented on my toans by guys here that don't know I'm using one.

Forget about what it is for a bit and concentrate on working with what you have. EQ it and see where you go from there.

Are you boosting your bass too much? If you are, you could be suffering from "flubby bass syndrome" which is easy enough to dial down.

• Members

If your playing is 'legit', then you will sound 'legit' regardless of whether you use a solid state randal or an all-tube JCM 800. If muddiness is your main problem, then try putting an EQ in your amp's effects loop (or in front if you don't have a loop).

• Members

I use a solid state amp and I've been complimented on my toans by guys here that don't know I'm using one.

Forget about what it is for a bit and concentrate on working with what you have.
EQ it and see where you go from there

Are you boosting your bass too much? If you are, you could be suffering from "flubby bass syndrome" which is easy enough to dial down.

this is the way my friend. SS amps are great because you can turn it on and it sounds the same every time. my boogie combo has great tones, but it's fickle. i miss knowing what my tone will be when i power up. but i love da boogie baby.

Archived