What order do you put your phaser?

petejt

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Phase before dirt... but flange... I'm diggin' it after dirt.

Phase was intended originally to give a sort of Leslie-ish effect, yes? Whereas flanging was a studio trick on the actual tape, which necessarily made it post-dirt. So to me, flange sounds more 'right' when it overtakes the signal (like studio tape flanging) but phaser does not sound 'right' when it's that pronounced.

-Ben

• Members

I just mean that when I hit the strings hard, it causes the signal to clip a bit in the Worm, that doesn't happen when the pedal is turned off. I still need to get a dedicated proper power plug for it, so that might be what it is.

Whenever I talk about the Worm, I always mention that it has headroom issues like the DMM. I use compression before it, which I always use anyway with clean tones. I think the Worm shines best with clean tones.

But if you run your dirt at really hot volumes, then you're better off putting dirt after the Worm. If you prefer phaser after dirt, then you need to not run your dirt at high volume, or find another phaser.

• Members
As for the "phaser before or after dirt" debate, I love phase shifting, so I want it both ways like Adam Franklin:

swervedriver_adam_1998.gif

I want it both ways with Adam Franklin too. :love:

....that set up there is a pretty damn good set up. I could be happy with that.

• Members

After delay in a loop is pretty awesome. Also usually after dirt; high-gain dirt after it will drown out the effect a bit too much for me.

I just won a Polyphase on ebay a couple days ago. Worm Killer?

Stereo Polyphase (not to be confused with the completely different sounding original PolyPhase) is a great box. I wouldn't say that the Stereo Polyphase can get the exact same voicing as the Worm.

• Members

I was just about to make a thread about this same topic. I though I was nuts having my phase 90 out front, before my OD. WHen I put it in the loop, it totally dominates the sound and I can't hear what I'm playing. Out front, after my wah, before my OD is how I roll.

This thread has given me some validation. Thanks!:thu:

• Members
Stereo Polyphase (not to be confused with the completely different sounding original PolyPhase) is a great box. I wouldn't say that the Stereo Polyphase can get the exact same voicing as the Worm.

Yeah, it's a Stereo Polyphase. I probably wouldn't get rid of the Worm anyway, it's my second one already. I've learned not to sell my EHX pedals, it just ends in regret...

• Members

@petejt: What guitars do you use with the Worm? I noticed that the Worm (at least my XO version) sounds heavenly with single coil strats (fairly low output), and to some degree Teles. The Worm's modulation doesn't clip, but shines through perfectly, even with dirt (I love setting the wah or phaser to the slowest speed and crank my fuzz/OD). I seriously think the Worm is meant for Strats...

With my humbucker guitars though, the Worm isn't as good. It's good with humbuckers, but not great, and I get some clipping too if it's not played clean. I found that I can get it sounding good with humbuckers when my dirt pedals are turned down low.

I have run two. One before dirt, one after dirt. Great fun.

At the moment it is:

Guitar>Compressor>Acoustic Simulator>Phaser>Synth-Wah>OverDrive>Distortion>Octave>Flange>Chorus>Delay>Tuner>Amp

Subject to change.

Yeah I like running two phasers too. My Phase 90 is first, before dirt, and then I have my EHX Worm after dirt. I love phasers! :love:

Archived