What order do you put your phaser?

petejt

• Members

I usually answer threads like these with "put it wherever you like".

But just out of curiosity, I'd like to know that if you have a phaser pedal, where is it in the signal chain?

I just got an Electro Harmonix Worm, and at the moment it's near the middle of my effects chain, currently the order is:-

Guitar->H2O Liquid Chorus/Echo -> Fish & Chips EQ -> Worm phaser -> Deluxe Electric Mistress Flanger -> POG -> Boss DD20 delay -> amp.

It tends to dominate the sound when on, and also clips a little bit. I don't mind since the phasing sounds really good, but I am thinking of switching things round a bit.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a Worm XO, and I have an MXR Phase 90. After playing around with their orders I discovered this is best:

The Phase 90 is first in my chain, before my dirt and everything else. Sounded nasty after dirt.

The Worm sounds best after dirt IMO. Before dirt, I thought it sounded too quiet and thick.

I do this:

guitar>mxr phase 90>dunlop hendrix fuzz face>dano CC distortion>ehx worm>behringer vm1 delay>amp

• Members

Hey Pete
:wave:

I've been really digging running mine before dirt lately. I like hearing the movement 'within' the dirt sound rather than going whoosh all around it. If that makes any sense.

Hey Ryan,

Well really the Worm is before any 'intentional' dirt, e.g. prior to the amp. It sounds pretty good.

I just mean that when I hit the strings hard, it causes the signal to clip a bit in the Worm, that doesn't happen when the pedal is turned off. I still need to get a dedicated proper power plug for it, so that might be what it is.

Yeah I definitely prefer "movement 'within' the dirt sound" rather than overall whooshy like you said- this is exactly why I prefer chorus before the amp rather than 80s-style in the effects loop.

Archived