If i wanted a Fendery sound but was on a budget, what would you suggest?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

C30 is not a fendery amp at all.

One of my favorite amps that i own is the under-loved peavey ranger. It's somewhat based on a twin... kind of. It has an overdrive channel that is pretty lame, but the clean channel sounds a lot like my fender twin.

The ranger was only made for a couple years, but when they do come up used they run around $300. That's pretty cheap for a US made ~100watt tube amp.

• Members

Don't count out the Traynor YCV40. I have the wine red edition which is a great amp. It sounds decently fenderish to me, but it's able to get a lot of really good useable tones, and they can be had for the cheapz. I got mine in great condition off the evil bay for 350 shipped.

• Members

Don't count out the Traynor YCV40. I have the wine red edition which is a great amp. It sounds decently fenderish to me, but it's able to get a lot of really good useable tones, and they can be had for the cheapz. I got mine in great condition off the evil bay for 350 shipped.

Damn, that's what I was gonna say. Is Canadian cheaper for you guys?

• Members

tech 21 tm60

I have a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 which I think is just the power section of the TM60 and it's a great amp. I bought it to put modellers through, which it does very well, but it also takes pedals rather well! As neutral as it gets. Not sure about being Fendery tho. Not glassy at all.

• Members

I have a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 which I think is just the power section of the TM60 and it's a great amp. I bought it to put modellers through, which it does very well, but it also takes pedals rather well! As neutral as it gets. Not sure about being Fendery tho. Not glassy at all.

the power engine is more like an extension cabinet with power. the tm60 is a voiced amplifier.

• Members

Doesn't quite fit your desired amp but look into the Superchamp XD

The superchamp XD is nice, especially for the price, but stock I'd say that it is a practice amp and not much more. It does do the fender sound well, but it doesn't have the clean headroom needed to keep up with a band and if I was recording I'd want a princeton reverb instead. I do love mine. On its own it's great, but side by side with a princeton the quality of the speaker and cab and the averageness of the reverb come through.

• Members

Question for everyone: if you had to choose between a delta blues/classic 30 and a HRD, which would you pick?

I'm in the same position as the OP and both have come up locally for decent prices ($350 for a 2*10 db and a "best offer" HRD - I'd guess that it would go for $450).

• Members

I currently play through a Peavey Blues Classic (basically Classic 50 /w 15" speaker) and while it does that clean Bassman-thing very well, I really miss the MusicMan RP65 I had two or so years ago. Could be a greener-grass-on-the-other-side thing, but from what I remember that thing had better cleans and an awesome Reverb, maybe the best I ever heard in a non-Fender amp.

It was a light and compact amp with plenty of headroom and it took my dirt pedals extremely well. Considering the prices they sell for in the UK, it's pretty much a no brainer.

{censored}, I want one again. :facepalm: If they only weren't so expensive in Germany. We pay roughly 60% more than you UK-folks

• Members

If you want a Fendery sound (whatever that means) get a Fender. There really isn't a way around it.

I own a MusicMan Sixty Five Reverb head. It is a phenomenal amp for clean to dirty tones, and it loves effects. I've owned a few black face Fenders, and the MM amps (at least the ones that I have played) will definitely get you the Fender sound. They were made by Leo Fender after all...

Archived