I've finally embraced Merriweather Post Pavilion

• Members

I didn't get "it" at first, and the Africanisms still remind me of the Animal Kingdom Parade, but I've gotten over that.

I'm now hearing the Beach Boys influence and all the dizzying shimmer of the keyboards. I like the lyrics, and the joyfulness of the melodies. I think something clicked while looking at the imagery in the "Brother Sport" video with the 2 children wreaking dayglo havoc with eggs. It made sense somehow.

Anyway, I'm a year late with this epiphany, but that's a bit typical of me with trendy stuff.

Also, I bought Veckatimest on vinyl this weekend. Wow! I'm digging this Brooklyn scene. I hope the new MGMT album lives up to their hype too.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Girls is a pretty cool track.

I find that anything that Animal Collective does takes me a while to get into. I didn't really like them until I heard Panda Bear's solo album. Part of it might be that they get so much hype that it's hard for the records to live up to my initial expectations.

• Members

My Girls is a pretty cool track.

I find that anything that Animal Collective does takes me a while to get into. I didn't really like them until I heard Panda Bear's solo album. Part of it might be that they get so much hype that it's hard for the records to live up to my initial expectations.

My feeling exactly.

Someone recommended "My Girls" to me last summer, and I thought it sounded so Disney, so I disregarded them. It's still kind of Disney sounding even now, but I just don't mind that as much. I like the hypnotic quality of it, in the same way I like MBV tracks like "Soon" and "To Here Knows When."

I haven't heard the Panda Bear album yet. What's a good song to look up?

• Members

I haven't heard the Panda Bear album yet. What's a good song to look up?

[YOUTUBE]bmJugAHigrk[/YOUTUBE]

I'm Not is my favourite. Personal Pitch is a strong album - better than Strawberry Jam.

• Members

I love Merriweather, the songs are all coherent (not usually the norm with these guys) and the production makes it sound really warm for something that is so digitally based. The Fall Be Kind ep is a great one to check out as well, takes it in a different direction.

You might want to check out some Yeasayer too...

• Members

Makes planetarium music seem "edgy".
:confused:

I don't get all the hatin' on this board. :) I thought people generally liked to listen to all sorts of different music. I just came out of a big Mclusky/Future of the Left phase, so now I've been listening to more ambient, softer stuff.

Short of that Crab-core {censored}, postal service-y emo, or boring metal, I'll listen to anything.

• Members

Pitchfork posted some live versions of their new album here:

The songs Brian Eno and Siberian Breaks are pretty jammin.

Cool! Thanks for the link. "Flash Delirium" also sounds pretty cool, very similar to the side2 stuff on Oracular Spectacular - sprawling and psychedelic.

Archived