I've finally embraced Merriweather Post Pavilion

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still think Animal Collective gets entirely too much lavish praise, but MPP is a pretty decent album.

But that's all because of Noah (Panda Bear). If he ever decides to move on, the band might as well call it a day.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's my favorite album of 2009 (that might go to Phoenix), and Veckamitest is more up my alley, really - much more guitar-based.

I've just been too critical of Animal Collective in my posts, so I'm taking some of it back.

• Members

Yeah, I'm not saying it's my favorite album of 2009 (that might go to Phoenix), and
Veckamitest
is more up my alley, really - much more guitar-based.

I've just been too critical of Animal Collective in my posts, so I'm taking some of it back.

Oh, for sure. That wasn't aimed at you specifically. I'm not so cynical that I think all people who praise AC are doing so to fit themselves into the scene. And, in AC's defense, they're essentially the progenitors of the 2000s psych pop indie movement. Make of that what you will.

All this should be tempered by the fact that Person Pitch is really one of my favorite albums ever. Panda Bear knocked it out of the park with that one.

• Members

MPP is phenomenal. Animal Collective is pretty brilliant and unique IMO, especially when you realize that their most recent sound is sort of a second phase of their work, considering their first few albums were largely acoustic. They were actually considered part of the whole "freak folk" movement if I'm not mistaken, especially after producing things like this -

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

"Sung Tongs" is also an incredible record and shows a lot of what they came from.

• Members

I like all of their records and EPs very much. I was a fan at the drop of Here Comes the Indian, so I had to let Sung Tongs set in for a while before I caught up to the childlike vocals and acoustic guitar stuff (Indian was more a traditional "noise" album in the vain of their friends Black Dice's work). Sung Tongs was hyped as the next big thing before it came out. I was surprised at how song-like it was! It's now in my top 10 albums of all time.

My old band was fortunate enough to open for them (and Gang Gang Dance) in North Carolina for a show that Black Dice could not play. It was an experience, even though only 100 people showed up and most of them walked out halfway through AC.

I really think that a lot of the AC hate comes from people taking their music way out of context. This is music from very modest people who are not Brooklyn scenesters (they are really from Maryland more than any other one place), and all of these new bands coming out are followers of AC's lead. If you listen to their music you'll realize that, even at their most manic and weird, their songs are very minimal, simple, graceful, and uplifting. I can understand if the raw aesthetics just don't appeal to you, but these guys are the genuine article. They've become more popular as their music has become streamlined and accessible. I guess a backlash is inevitable, but I just don't get people who won't give it a chance because they see it as (on one side of the debate) hipster douche music -- God, it's not! -- or (on the other side of the debate) sellout electronic Beach Boys.

• Members

I really think that a lot of the AC hate comes from people taking their music way out of context. This is music from very modest people who are
not
Brooklyn scenesters (they are really from Maryland more than any other one place), and all of these new bands coming out are
followers
of AC's lead. If you listen to their music you'll realize that, even at their most manic and weird, their songs are very minimal, simple, graceful, and uplifting. I can understand if the raw aesthetics just don't appeal to you, but these guys are the genuine article. They've become more popular as their music has become streamlined and accessible. I guess a backlash is inevitable, but I just don't get people who won't give it a chance because they see it as (on one side of the debate) hipster douche music -- God, it's not! -- or (on the other side of the debate) sellout electronic Beach Boys.

Very well put.

Archived