Guitar volume knobs-how do you use them?

chu2

• Members

Lately I realized that even if I'm playing clean, I still throw on an overdrive to beef up any solos I do, even though I could just turn the volume knob down a bit and crank it for the solo without using effects.

So I started playing around with the volume control more, and it really made me question the way I have my overdrives and distortions set, volume-wise. I ended up dropping the volume on my gain pedals quite a bit to almost unity with my clean amp setting.

Anyone else find that they don't use the volume control as much as they should/had this kind of revelation? :confused:

• Members

I recently got that volume pot mod where a capacitor keeps the treble from getting lost when you roll off. It's great! I used to always play on 10 because it sounded dead when turned volume down. But now I can use most of the volume knob range and it sounds good. A lot more possibilities now.

• Members

Depends on the rig, the guitar in question, and the type of music that I'm playing.

On my Teles, I'm constantly adjusting them, though.

I am NOT a fan of the school of thought that says "Put your volume on 10 for solos and high gain, roll it back for your cleans". I've found the clean channel always suffers, no matter the circumstance.

Hence my 3 overdrives and a separate boost pedal on my main board.

• Members

I'm using mine more than I used to. It took me a while to get past the idea that valve amps sound best when they're being pushed hard, and appreciate the warm, soft cleans you can get. But now I do, I often roll down the volume to increase the dynamic contrast between sections, or even just clean up really fuzzy sounds a little. Because of the compressing nature of most distortions/boosts, I often find the volume stays more or less the same, but the tone gets a bit smoother and that can be just the ticket. I find I'm more likely to play the volume/tone knobs live or when recording when I really get into the guitar playing.

Archived