Guitar volume knobs-how do you use them?

chu2

• Members

Must not be very many pro players here who do recording or work with a pro sound man. The only thing I use the volumes is to set my tone before a song begins. I use pedals for the rest. And even then I have the pedals set for even DB output so theres no jumps in volume.

The first thing you learn recording is if you tweak the volume during tracking you're going to have issues mixing because the recording levels change. Boosting the track volumes to fix it afterwards is going to affect tone and screw up dynamics. Its the sound engineers job to boost solos mixing so if your a knob twister you're only going to screw things up.

Playing live you got the same problems. Once you got your tone its the sound guys job to boost solos. If he isnt doing that he's not earning his pay. Tweaking your volume after a sound guy has the volume set will really piss off a sound guy too. You dont hear it on stage, but that littel volume bump can cause a major blare in volume for the audience.

What musicians try to do by jacking up their volume playing is to recreate what a guy in a studio is doing to highlight the different parts, or a sound guy does live.

Tweaking knobs is a really really bad habit you should break. Get you tone and Play. View any professionsl studio video or live concert, you'll rarely see musicians flucking with knobs. Even their effects are often run from the console or by a guitar mixer to free the player up from being glued to the floor. A guitarists head should be in the sky where it can elevate the audience.

Just my 3 cents earned from playing and recording pro for 43 years.

• Members

I recently got that volume pot mod where a capacitor keeps the treble from getting lost when you roll off. It's great! I used to always play on 10 because it sounded dead when turned volume down. But now I can use most of the volume knob range and it sounds good. A lot more possibilities now.

This. Treble retention mod FTW.

• Members

Must not be very many pro players here who do recording or work with a pro sound man. The only thing I use the volumes is to set my tone before a song begins. I use pedals for the rest. And even then I have the pedals set for even DB output so theres no jumps in volume.

The first thing you learn recording is if you tweak the volume during tracking you're going to have issues mixing because the recording levels change. Boosting the track volumes to fix it afterwards is going to affect tone and screw up dynamics. Its the sound engineers job to boost solos mixing so if your a knob twister you're only going to screw things up.

Playing live you got the same problems. Once you got your tone its the sound guys job to boost solos. If he isnt doing that he's not earning his pay. Tweaking your volume after a sound guy has the volume set will really piss off a sound guy too. You dont hear it on stage, but that littel volume bump can cause a major blare in volume for the audience.

What musicians try to do by jacking up their volume playing is to recreate what a guy in a studio is doing to highlight the different parts, or a sound guy does live.

Tweaking knobs is a really really bad habit you should break. Get you tone and Play. View any professionsl studio video or live concert, you'll rarely see musicians flucking with knobs. Even their effects are often run from the console or by a guitar mixer to free the player up from being glued to the floor. A guitarists head should be in the sky where it can elevate the audience.

I think the vast majority of people here are referring to the use of the volume knob when playing with overdrive or distortion. Lowering the volume knob on the guitar decreases gain as opposed to volume. I never use my volume knob unless I have some kind of gain going on.

• Members

It's the engineers job to record me.

How I play. Not the way he wants me to.

If I twist my knobs. Way it goes.

He better be good. Maybe a :poke:"PRO" even, Eh?

• Members

So the "pro" thing to do is never adjust your volume knob accordingly? Glad I don't make money doing this, 'cause I'm doing it wrong...

• Members

you are a Big Muff guy, right? I find that Big Muffs don't react to volume knob changes very well.

Yeah but I also play a metal muff(like a mesa in a pedal type thick/heavy death metal distortion) and I just hate guitar volume knobs,it takes away all the gain when gain and saturation is what makes my sound possible. It sounds like you have taken a knife and gutted your guitar, amp and everything in between IMO!

• Members

I can see the reasoning behind this, but I don't think it makes sense for a lot of styles of music. I want to be quiter while i'm playing a little figure behind a mostly drum and bass verse than I am when I'm doing the rock out solo at the end. The idea that guitars volume has to be consistant and it's up to the front of house engineer to control the guitarists dynamics doesn't make sense for me. The sound engineer doesn't know our songs.

As for recording, if I was just a hired hand I'd do whatever I was asked. But if I'm working on my bands own stuff, I will give a performance. If the mix is wrong because I wasn't appropriately adjusting my volume and dynamics, I'll go and do it again. if I want the distortion coming out of the chorus to be a little smoother than during the chorus, i'll adjust the volume on my guitar.

I could understand what you were saying if you were talking about adjusting the amps volume as you play, because that's a big shift in balance, but adjusting the guitar volume, as said, is much more of a tonal nuance a lot of the time.

I like the last bit about being up in the sky, it's very poetic. You've got your way and it's clearly worked well for you. But I don't think it's fair to insinuate that adjusting the volume/tone knobs as you play is unprofessional. It's your instrument and you can perform on it as you will.

• Members

I always use the volume controls on my guitar, no matter the gain level on the amp. I'll roll back for a gritty clean, roll up to push the amp a bit more, if I am on the high gain channel I'll roll back for a little bit more chime & less saturation & sizzle, then roll right up for full saturation and brutal crunchy sizzle, all sorts of stuff.

• Members

I can see the reasoning behind this, but I don't think it makes sense for a lot of styles of music. I want to be quiter while i'm playing a little figure behind a mostly drum and bass verse than I am when I'm doing the rock out solo at the end. The idea that guitars volume has to be consistant and it's up to the front of house engineer to control the guitarists dynamics doesn't make sense for me. The sound engineer doesn't know our songs.

As for recording, if I was just a hired hand I'd do whatever I was asked. But if I'm working on my bands own stuff, I will give a performance. If the mix is wrong because I wasn't appropriately adjusting my volume and dynamics, I'll go and do it again. if I want the distortion coming out of the chorus to be a little smoother than during the chorus, i'll adjust the volume on my guitar.

I could understand what you were saying if you were talking about adjusting the amps volume as you play, because that's a big shift in balance, but adjusting the guitar volume, as said, is much more of a tonal nuance a lot of the time.

I like the last bit about being up in the sky, it's very poetic. You've got your way and it's clearly worked well for you. But I don't think it's fair to insinuate that adjusting the volume/tone knobs as you play is unprofessional. It's your instrument and you can perform on it as you will.

this...

Alot of sound guys are idiots (especially in alot of churches) and most sound guys don't know the songs that are being played in most venues. Now if you're a legit band and tour with a sound guy then the story is vastly different but in most other cases I need to control my volume for song dynamics. It can be done. But I mostly leave my volume all the way up and adjust with my volume pedal.

Archived