Do you play out? (solo or band) Or, are you a bedroomer?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Although its a different topic, I love writing in a jam enviorment as opposed to just alone. I can do it all myself if I want, but it's so cool when a beat, a riff, or something else one person does, turns into a cohesive jam that sounds amazing. I live for those moments.

yes

• Members

bedrooming makes you care

playing out makes you not care

over-generalization? maybe. But I follow you. When I was in two gigging bands my gear was decent enough, but mostly just functional was the most important thing.

Now that I play out rarely, I have the Rig of Doom, since I can sit around and care about "tone" and "sounds" more than songs and repeatable performances.

That's why so many touring rock n rollers have pretty standard setups.

• Members

I'm a basement rocker. Would like to play out though, at some point. But at my age, kids, and traveling 2 weeks/month, it makes it hard.

So my tone when I play is fairly important to me, as that is all there is for now. But equally important is to have fun, and not get too hung up on pedals and such, which is easy to do. But tweaking my tone, however lame, is kinda fun to me. And meeting other lame people here is fun too.

But at somepoint, if my schedule allows, I would like to play with others. I play upright bass in various orchestras (classical music) and violin for many years, so I'm used to playing with others, reading music, etc.

• Members

over-generalization? maybe. But I follow you. When I was in two gigging bands my gear was decent enough, but mostly just
functional
was the most important thing.

Now that I play out rarely, I have the Rig of Doom, since I can sit around and care about "tone" and "sounds" more than songs and repeatable performances.

That's why so many touring rock n rollers have pretty standard setups.

It's about finding the middle ground between sound, reliability, and also availability. Taking a rare group of pedals, guitars, & amps on the road may yield an awesome tone, but, if one of the other is lost, stolen, or breaks down, good lucking finding a replacement.

That being said, I do care about my tone more now that in the past. I tweak at home & play a lot, but, when practice or gig time comes, I always keep in mind that my settings were for home use & I have to adjust to the new situation.

• Members
Well?

Curiosity makes me ask because, I see an awful lot of argument on subjective things like tone, playing, effects, amps, etc. here so, I'd like to know who found their knowledge by being out & about in live enviorments, and who mainly plays at home.

I love playing out as much as possible. Come see my band at 12th and Porter on Saturday, and I'll prove it to you. :lol:

• Members

Playing out with jazz groups. I'm lucky enough to draw from a small handful of twins. I play solo guitar as well, going from classical to jazz. I want to sound good because I'm often the only instrument, but a Twin is great for what I do so I usually don't have to worry about it.

• Members

Oh and the only time that I bought effects was when I wasn't studying music. Once I started to dig in I sold almost all my pedals and bought a piano, a bass guitar, and recording gear. Still have my little Moog delay and I probably won't ever get rid of it because it's good with everything, but my dollars have considerably shifted direction away from effects to musical instruments. Things are on hold for me until I move, but my next purchase will probably be a classical guitar or a bass clarinet.

• Members

I'm in four or five bands, mostly improv stuff and try to play out every other week or so. I find it good to get out and hear what stuff sounds like in different venues with different bands. It's amazing the difference a room makes.

• Members

I gig, and I write/rehearse. If it wasn't for da bedrooms sessions I wouldn't be where I am now.

One thing though, I'm really interested in effects. Not the minute details and rehashings of the exact same effect. Things can get pretty silly around here.

Archived