Do you play out? (solo or band) Or, are you a bedroomer?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Toured for about 5 years until recently. Now I'm a home recorder and wanker. :)

And the thing about playing out making you not care, that was true to me to a point, but I finally narrowed down what rig worked for me and stuck with it. Then I didnt have to care.

• Members

I love being able to play at church- I think I'd go crazy without having a weekly gig like that. I also play bass with a cover band- not really fulfilling, but it does give me some cash to pay for new toys. Similarly, I do some freelance work- I've been here for almost three years, so I'm back to the point where I do about 8-10 freelance gigs a year.

Finally, I had a band a couple of years ago (before I moved two hours away) that played out pretty extensively. We never could find a good replacement drummer, though, so about once a year we call him up and drag him up here for a show. We could probably replace him, but I can't stand the idea of rehearsing for months before gigging again. Takes too much time.

When it comes to writing, I generally write alone- I can be much more efficient that way. Then, once the bones are together, I can bring it back to the band to flesh it out. Doesn't always go where I want it, but it usually goes better than I intended.

• Members

mostly a session guy, but spent many years touring the US/canada ( & japan twice,, Summersonic fests are awesome!) ..

bedroom jamming is when Im setting up my board for a gig or session...or to learn some tunes or chart out stuff for clients & gigs.

had 2 of my touring bands go in the {censored}ter this year, so Im freelancing alot and searchin out some new projects. and also filling some time and my wallet with a few cover gigs (god I hate the NJ/NY cover scene tho... my soul's being torn out a little bit everytime)

• Members

I was gigging once every few weeks when I was 14. Then the gigs gradually decreased in number as local venues closed/singers went to university. Now I never play out because my band hasn't found a new singer. We jam when we're home from uni in the holidays, write awesome material and then can't do anything with it. It sucks too, because back when I was gigging the most I used a Zoom GFX-5, a Cry Baby 535Q and a Whammy through a Marshall MG100DFX. Suffice to say, my tone was absolutely horrendous. Now I have awesome tone and no one to hear it. :(

I miss gigging more than anything; I think some of my happiest (but also somewhat paradoxically my most nervous) moments have been on stage.

• Members

I'm in Columbus. Are any of you in any bands here?

Also, I'm in a couple cover outfits for $$$, an original band for fun and haven't written any music lately. Usually rehearsing 3 nights a week and giggin two-ish.

Sometimes I rock out in my bedroom but not the way this thread implies.

Archived