Do you play out? (solo or band) Or, are you a bedroomer?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I barely play electic guitar at home. I might record a riff or something but otherwise I play exclusively classical at home. For band rehearsals I either plug straight in (when playing bass) or go RAT>MicroPOG (guitar). I use my Sunn in all of my bands. I try to play out at least once a month but usually manage more due to being in three gigging bands.

• Members

I'm a bedroom and live player. I usually rehearse once a week with the band and play a show every six weeks or so. Sometimes I'll even go a couple of weeks without touching my guitar. Usually when I'm in the bedroom/studio I'm writing which is fun, but there's nothing as satisfying as hearing a band crank out one of your tunes. At least for me.

• Members

Got my start playing on the beach, but yeah I've played out and value the experience. These days I'm more of a home player, but expect to do the occasional backyard party and product demo.

• Members

True, that feeling when you really 'click' musically and are all on the same page on a riff or idea and it's just developing beautifully and organically is the best feeling.

and this sir is what I call jamming.... if you are playing with people who can't do this, u need to find a new band imo... that's what it's all about for me, when people can hang on a certain vibe for a long enough period of time, only to improve on it, explore it or develop it into something beautiful, that's the feeling that keeps me playing music every day of my life.

• Members

I've never gigged, don't know that I ever will....I have life obligations that probably prevent me from pursuing it but I'd like to someday. My "band" consists of three close friends with similar music tastes who get together 2-3 times a month as life allows to drink and smoke too much, work on some covers, just plain jam and rock the {censored} out. It's a hobby...an outlet.

• Members

jamming and improving is the greatest thing IMO. it can sometimes be a very personal experience among the players. it might not sound amazing to someone watching it happen, but when you are in it it's just the best. I can not play with people who can't improvise. It's a major part of how I learned how to play guitar. It cuts down all the bull{censored}. Most of the shredders you see can't improv, their mindset of playing guitar is to write something slow and then work it up to the proper speed. when you improv there is no practice till you can do it fast, you just have to be able to do. you learn how to work to your strengths. Like me, I'm not a fast player, even when I practiced that kind of thing a lot, it didn't click. I don't know, my brain isn't wired that way. But I have a decent understanding of how to make one or two notes count. And that, IMO, is way harder.

• Members

I play out. It's what it's all about: being in the zone, with a band, performing for someone. Even just in a hobby band in small pubs and open mics (which is me).

That said, making a glorious musical racket in a rehearsal room is also "what it's all about" :)

The fascinating thing is that playing out is when tone matters _least_.

Plug your guitar into someone else's backline, dial up something half passable, and all that matters is that you can play.

My search for tone is all about the "wanky" satisfaction of sounding nice in my rehearsal room.

GaJ

• Members

I played out and toured for years. (Also assistant engineer'd in some decent Manhattan studios).

In those days I played a Rat into Marshall and didn't give a damn about tone or gear. Just wanted to :rawk:

Now I'm a bedroom player and I'm really concerned about tone and gear :lol:.

• Members

jamming and improving is the greatest thing IMO. it can sometimes be a very personal experience among the players. it might not sound amazing to someone watching it happen, but when you are in it it's just the best. I can not play with people who can't improvise. It's a major part of how I learned how to play guitar. It cuts down all the bull{censored}. Most of the shredders you see can't improv, their mindset of playing guitar is to write something slow and then work it up to the proper speed. when you improv there is no practice till you can do it fast, you just have to be able to do. you learn how to work to your strengths. Like me, I'm not a fast player, even when I practiced that kind of thing a lot, it didn't click. I don't know, my brain isn't wired that way. But I have a decent understanding of how to make one or two notes count. And that, IMO, is way harder.

i wish we could hang out.

• Members

I enjoy practicing solo about as much as playing shows solo. I think I enjoy practicing solo more than band...but I think I have more fun playing shows in the band than solo.

that was like a math problem.

Archived