KOT: HCFX opinions regarding the Bugera V22

ck3

• Members

The only complaint is that the gain has a little pre-amp sizzle with the stock tubes on the gain channel, but only with the volume really low.

How much do you have to crank the V22 to eliminate the sizzle? Is this issue as prominent in the amp's lower-wattage mode?

Also, what do HCFX V22 users think of its bright and normal inputs? Do they offer enough tonal variety to warrant the purchase of an AB/Y box for additional switching?

• Members

I pulled the trigger on a V22 earlier today. It should be arriving sometime next week, and I plan to post a mini review in this thread. I'm hoping the UPS ground gorillas will actually handle a package with care for once. :facepalm:

• Members

The V22 is interesting in that it's not a complete clone of another amp. Their other amps have been clones with little changes like different tube specs, digital reverb, etc. The 5150 clone is notable in that it can accept EL34's. Obviously it has some sort of adjustable bias, whereas the Peavey requires a ~$100 mod to do the same.

People have made various claims as to what it's based on but no one has really nailed it down.

• Members

How much do you have to crank the V22 to eliminate the sizzle? Is this issue as prominent in the amp's lower-wattage mode?

Also, what do HCFX V22 users think of its bright and normal inputs? Do they offer enough tonal variety to warrant the purchase of an AB/Y box for additional switching?

It doesn't have to be terribly loud to eliminate the sizzle. Most of my playing is done after 7pm in a house full of 4 sleeping kids so I play it extremely low volume on triode mode. Once it gets warmer out I'll take it to the garage and crank it again.

People who own them say a preamp tube change eliminates the sizzle altogether. I plan on putting some JJ's in when I get around to it. I honestly got this amp because I got into some financial trouble and had to sell my amps, but now that the financial trouble isn't a factor I don't really want anything else. I like it that much.

There is a very noticeable difference between the bright and normal inputs. One thing I love about the amp is you can get so many different sounds out of it

• Members

My V22 arrived via UPS earlier today and was surprisingly well-packed (and unscathed). The faux-boutique cosmetics are a bit cheesy IMO, but certainly not the most crucial feature. I really liked the clean channel and mid boost, but couldn't seem to tame the dirty channel's sizzle. This is the first tube amplifier that I've owned in quite a while, and I've never used a master volume amp, so I'm not certain if there was tube rattle or not. I was unable to properly balance levels or fully tame noise when using my GSP1101 via the 4CM, and did not have an opportunity to experiment with any pedals.

I was hoping that my V22 would be one of the rare, problem-free units, but soon realized that I should have considered other options. The infamous "footswitch problem" began about two and a half hours after I first turned on the amp. The date code is 1 0 01, so I'm guessing that this V22 was manufactured earlier this year. It seems that Bugera QC is still subpar and that they continue to use cheapo parts with incorrect heat tolerances. I'm probably going to return my V22 and request a refund. The closest Behringer service center is over 80 miles from my present location, and I'd rather not deal with the hassle and shipping expenses of warranty service. Until Bugera(/Behringer) invests an extra nickel in source materials for each V22, I would suggest that prospective buyers avoid this model.

• Members

I'm really interested in Bugera as a company.

In 2002, Behringer completed its own factory, Behringer City, in Zhongshan of China's Guangdong province after it consolidated more than ten separate production locations into one vertically integrated plant. Comprising eight buildings that produces electronics, speakers, guitars and digital pianos and also hosts an onsite health clinic. This strategy was different than that taken by other musical instrument companies who used third party manufacturers. Choosing to run a self-contained plant allowed Behringer a greater level of quality control. The 1.2 million square-foot manufacturing complex in Zhongshan ships more than 2.5 million Behringer products per year to markets around the globe. The plant turns out over 50,000 mixers per month with a failure rate that is less than 0.1%. There is a waiting list of those wishing to be employed at Behringer City.

Pretty interesting.

Behringer_city.jpg

I personally would never risk more than $100 for anything made by this company. I have personally seen a bugera die after a few hours of use. While I've found their PA equipment to be rather tough, I'd wait a few years for their amp factories to iron out the kinks.

• Members

I decided to give the V22 another whirl before repacking it for return shipping. Some TGP members have been able to solve the heat-related channel switching issue with a clip-on fan, so I figured the V22 might be salvageable. I was having second thoughts about sending it back to AMS until another problem occurred. In pentode mode with the overdrive channel engaged and volume past 4, the amp began intermittently crackling and cutting out. I had the same issue in triode mode with the volume a little under 6. I'm not certain if this was the result of "tube rattle" or not, but I'm definitely returning this cheaply constructed piece of junk. Again, I recommend that all prospective buyers avoid this Bugera model.

• 3 months later...
I have heard something about a Bugera amp that is a clone of a Matchless or something....anyone hear that?

They certainly have copped the Matchless cosmetics. Behringer seems to have a tendency to copy cosmetics (if not circuitry) from time to time. :facepalm:

But I did try one (V22) a couple months ago, and I have to admit, the thing sounded really good! I can't personally speak for the long term reliability (except to say every Behringer product I've ever owned except for one has died on me within two years :facepalm: ), but I've generally heard good things in that regard about this amp overall.

At the price, it's probably worth trying one out for yourself - like I said; it sounded really good to me.

• Members
There was a old dude playing some oldies blues wankery I was at and he sounded good for what it was. I figure since you trust TGP and TGP = blues wankery, i might help you
:idk:

Back when I was giving the V22 a trial run, it was capable of more than "dad rock" tones ... especially with some sort of boost to goose gain. If QC has improved, I would consider purchasing another V22 without hesitation ... though I have doubts that Bugera(/Behringer) has changed any aspect of production. :facepalm:

Archived