The Greatest Album Segues

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The Who ~ Quadrophenia

The_Who_Quadrophenia_CD.jpg

Oh hell yeah. That whole album is like that, and what I like is that there's recurring themes in the record, where it's the same melody, but transposed.....so it lends itself a bit to "haven't I heard that before?" and then on subsequent listens, one realizes that the songs or themes sort of reprise themselves in different manners that aren't just a remix of a single or whatever.....they're changed up so that they're mellower and more cinematic.

That album doesn't get the singles recognition that an album like "My Generation" or "Who's Next?" gets, but damned if that's not probably their best album. It's challenging, tough, inspired and mind bending. You don't hear too many albums like that these days.

• Members

Not to spam too much, but my next release is a 39 minute album, utilizing 242 tracks and a whole bunch of smaller songs. I like the idea that people have to determine where parts stop and start, because alot of the songs were similar in vibe and overall feel, where one song would end off in something like E minor and then the next song was predominently an E minor song or something like that. You get all these weird and cool harmonics when things segue into each other.....sometimes it's atonal, but in this really really cool way where you have things that are off the beat and key but they somehow make sense. There's two other parts to it that are about 35 minutes long a piece, and when it's released, the ensuing parts are only going to be available for a certain time period and that's it.

One thing that I noticed when crossfading is that sometimes things can be really loose and work, but other times, you need to rein it in and have it cued up on time and tempo. Some songs i'd changed the pitch slightly to match the next part's beat and/ or key and whatnot. It definetely takes a while to get it right where it doesn't sound like a haphazard mess. :)

• Members
Not to spam too much, but my next release is a 39 minute album, utilizing 242 tracks and a whole bunch of smaller songs. I like the idea that people have to determine where parts stop and start, because alot of the songs were similar in vibe and overall feel, where one song would end off in something like E minor and then the next song was predominently an E minor song or something like that. You get all these weird and cool harmonics when things segue into each other.....sometimes it's atonal, but in this really really cool way where you have things that are off the beat and key but they somehow make sense. There's two other parts to it that are about 35 minutes long a piece, and when it's released, the ensuing parts are only going to be available for a certain time period and that's it.

One thing that I noticed when crossfading is that sometimes things can be really loose and work, but other times, you need to rein it in and have it cued up on time and tempo. Some songs i'd changed the pitch slightly to match the next part's beat and/ or key and whatnot. It definetely takes a while to get it right where it doesn't sound like a haphazard mess.
:)

Sounds cool!

• Members

One of the greatest ones in recent memory that I can think of is Sloan's "Never Hear The End Of It". 30 songs, 76 minutes, and while that could be on the long side for most bands, Chris/ Andrew/ Pat/ Jay's songs are all pretty much some of the best that they've done. If you dig powerpop, I don't see what's not to love.....there's a whole big 70's worship vibe on that record, and all the songs fade into each other. I {censored}ing LOVE Sloan. I have that release on both double vinyl and cd......the cd obviously benefits from the cd format in that it's continuously spliced together to sound like a big gigantic song. I like how the vinyl creates a 4 sided album that changes a bit per side, but the cd runs with the one song sort of theme.

• Members

Cool. I need to check those out. Heard of them, but haven't listened yet.

You are in for a treat. Both play very passionate music that is simple and outstanding.

Albums in particular:

Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever Ago (this is my album of 2007. Just amazing.)

Neutral Milk Hotel: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (the most earnest album I have ever heard. The songs are very passionate and alive.)

I sound cheesy I know, but those albums are extraordinary.

• Members
this one's great, but probably not fit the blokes round here. it was recorded in one day, everyone playing together in the studio. tim's voice is thrashed by the last track. great album.

24qnuh1.jpg

+1

Heres mine. String Outs Twisted By Design. Epic.

TBD.jpg

Archived