Tell me about your rickenbackers

• Members

I've owned two, a mapleglo 360/6 which was nice, and now own a 360/12v64 a la George Harrison.

Its pretty rad, the latter is a bit older so the gloss on the neck has worn away, a good thing. Its a bit of a bastard to play, so I took the second E,A,D strings off, now it plays a lot easier. The 660/12 is a bit easier to play apparently, as it has a wider nut.

Thats what she said.,

• Members

I have a 620. There are a lot of reasons why more people don't play them. The necks are like baseball bats, the bridges are antiquated and problematic, intonation is a biatch. Mine has very little treble compared to other "hot" single coil guitars. I don't play it much, if at all. Here is a pic of mine.

IMG_9048-1.jpg

• Members

I have a 620. There are a lot of reasons why more people don't play them. The necks are like baseball bats, the bridges are antiquated and problematic, intonation is a biatch. Mine has very little treble compared to other "hot" single coil guitars. I don't play it much, if at all. Here is a pic of mine.

IMG_9048-1.jpg

I actually love fat necks and vintage radius. Thin flat necks hurt my hands real bad. I also don't want one as an everyday player, but I feel like they have a unique sound that I would like to have at my disposal. I mean if I didn't have a strat, tele style, les paul jr etc...already then I don't think I would be interested in a Ric. It's kind of like wanting a two seat sports car for Sunday driving.

• Members

I am a bedroom musician who gets more out of recording his own songs for himself than anything else.

I have a 330. I love it. Out of all my guitars, it is the one I can't stop looking at. I bought it used.

In my experience, which is limited as mentioned above, I find my 330 to be a one trick pony. I don't have a chunky neck. The neck on my 330 is rather slim and I totally understand the majority of posts in the HC effects forum about rics being rhythm guitars. My neck is narrow and I'm 6'2", I got decent sized hands.

My go to easy to play guitar is a 67 reissue strat. I also prefer most of the sounds I get out of my 67 strat. However, my 330 has the jangle. If you are looking for the ric sound, rics have it. Like a les paul with humbuckers sounds like a les paul and a strat with single coils sounds like a strat, a ric sounds like a ric. If you want and have a use for that sound, then go for it. If you have ric gas because they look cool or you think you might use one, pass. Just my two cents.:thu:

4JangleGuitars4.jpg

1991 Jetglo 610. The neck isn't the thinnest profile, but it is fairly slim from side to side.

I have the stock R tailpiece on it, but while I like the "look" of that, I think the old vintage style non-vibrato tailpiece is easier to restring. The R equipped models are a bit of a PITB in that regard.

The 610 is different than the 620 in a few ways. First of all, the 620 has the stereo / dual output jacks and "Ric-o-sound". It also has a bound neck and body. The 610 has slight contouring to the edge of the body that the bound 620 lacks. The only other significant difference is the "shark tooth" neck inlays on the 620 vs the 610's dot inlays. Unlike the 620VB above, mine doesn't have the vibrato... but it was an option on both models. Similarly, both models are "neck through" and solid maple bodies.

The hi-gain pickups are pretty beefy sounding and can give some pretty thick raunch if used with a dirt box or cranked amp. They have more midrange meat to them than the decidedly brighter (and lower output) vintage "toaster top" Ric pickups. They can still jangle too if desired... but the extra gain is there if you need to go beyond the traditional vintage Beatles / Byrds sonic thing.

It's a really nice guitar IMO. Nothing fancy, but a good solid, well crafted USA built ax. IIRC, the 610 has been out of production since the mid 1990s.

• Members

Its pretty rad, the latter is a bit older so the gloss on the neck has worn away, a good thing. Its a bit of a bastard to play, so I took the second E,A,D strings off, now it plays a lot easier. The 660/12 is a bit easier to play apparently, as it has a wider nut.

The 660 and 660/12 both measure 1 3/4" at the nut. Nice and wide. I had a 360 in the past and still wish Rickenbacker would do a 360 with a 335 neck (ie. sensible nut width, nice scale length, no goop all over the fretboard). My fireburst 360 looked beautiful but was a pig to play.

• Members

My 620, a gift from my dad, don't think i'll ever part with it.

picture2xvo.png

picture3h.png

my 'go-to' guitar is my fender jag, though this guitar is great for clean spanky parts. Feels great to play.

This could be a winner. I really don't play lead so I'm fine with the rhythm thing and I'm definitely looking for one just for the jangle. Of course I'm a lefty so finding one will be a challenge.

• Members

This could be a winner. I really don't play lead so I'm fine with the rhythm thing and I'm definitely looking for one just for the jangle. Of course I'm a lefty so finding one will be a challenge.

my god the things i would do for a lefty 620.

• Members

I don't think you'll find jangle in a 620. I believe the jangle is more associated with their semi-hollow/12-string models. I feel like the 620 was made for the Les Paul market. I know it's sometimes tough to find a ric dealer around, but I highly recommend you go and trying one out AND plug it in before you drop that kind of cash. Most people either love them or hate them.

• Members

Here's my 1976 480, a recent CL score. There is a wide tonal disparity between the neck and bridge pickups. The bridge pickup is extremely thin compared to the very dark sounding neck pickup, due in part to an extra capacitor between the volume pot and selector switch on the bridge pickup, and the fact that even with the neck pickup raised completely, there is still a huge gap between it and the strings.

IMG_1610.jpg

Archived