HCFX - Post your rig (late spring edition)

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Me too. These amps always get thrown under the bus as being metalhead-only amps... and while they're certainly great for that, they've got pretty underrated cleans and more than passable low/medium-gain potential too. I had my tele going through it earlier and got a pretty damn nice drive tones out of the clean channel w/ the gain up a bit.

And my 6L6's landed today... I think I'm really gonna enjoy having the option to switch back and forth between the El84's and 6L6's when I want a different vibe.

• Members

I've always wanted to try a Mark series after hearing Trey Anastasion (Phish) and Jim Lewin (Great American Taxi - Vince Herman (Leftover Salmon's singer's band)) use one. Not very metal at all hah. Jim L. uses a Tele through his and Trey uses his hollowbody Lanquedoc.

• Members

Awesome rig shot Crxsh! I love the Single Recs and ElectraDynes. :thu"

Thanks, buddy! The Single Rec is nice because 50 watts is pretty manageable. Before I bought this one, I thought I had an older 2-channel Dual Rec locked down for a great price.... but it didn't work out. :( So this was the 2nd choice, but I'm just as happy. I forgot how loud the 50 watters are. :lol:

• Members
Me too. These amps always get thrown under the bus as being metalhead-only amps... and while they're certainly great for that, they've got pretty underrated cleans and more than passable low/medium-gain potential too. I had my tele going through it earlier and got a pretty damn nice drive tones out of the clean channel w/ the gain up a bit.

And my 6L6's landed today... I think I'm really gonna enjoy having the option to switch back and forth between the El84's and 6L6's when I want a different vibe.

I agree with you. Mesa amps can have really nice clean tones. I :love: my Roadster's clean tones on the "Tweed" setting. It's really not far from Fender cleans, if not as great IMO. Plus it takes pedals very well.

I just received some new 6L6s too(SED Winged "C") and some new preamp tubes to replace the stock ones. Those are supposed to really improve the amp's tones, can't wait to hear this! :)

• Members
I just received some new 6L6s too(SED Winged "C") and some new preamp tubes to replace the stock ones. Those are supposed to really improve the amp's tones, can't wait to hear this!
:)

Those SED's are really nice tubes in a Mesa. I put some of those in the Tremoverb I had.... just awesome.

I was fortunate enough to get the guy who sold me this one to include both a set of JJ's EL34's and some TAD 6L6's, so that's really cool.

So far, my initial impression

• Members

I've always wanted to try a Mark series after hearing Trey Anastasion (Phish) and Jim Lewin (Great American Taxi - Vince Herman (Leftover Salmon's singer's band)) use one. Not very metal at all hah. Jim L. uses a Tele through his and Trey uses his hollowbody Lanquedoc.

Mark amps are seriously under rated. They can do all out metal, but are also pretty sweet for country/blues/jazz stuff.

My old guitar teacher had a Mark I reissue, good lord, the tone. He's also one of the best players I've ever seen though, he can make anything sound good.

Archived