HCFX - Post your rig (late spring edition)

• Members

So much damn unequivocal wonderment. I really want an Ampeg, SuperFuzz clone, and a big-box Rat. By the way, do you know what Greg Sage used pedal-wise?

Thanks! Regarding Sage, it's REALLY, REALLY hard to know for sure because the guy is so damn secretive. His original plan with the Wipers was to be completely anonymous so that people would get hooked into the music itself instead of the personalities and gear of the musicians.

Anyway, I've researched this a lot, and it *seems* like he probably used some kind of Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face with silicon (not germanium) transistors. (I have a Univox SuperFuzz clone on my board [it's the gray box on top] but this gives me a Mudhoney tone, not a Wipers tone.) I'm planning to build a Fuzz Face clone myself and may go nuts with mods so I can switch between Si and Ge trannies, add a voltage sag circuit, and so on. If you're interested, I can post some PDF files that show how to make these mods.

Anyway, he probably used an Ampeg Gemini I on the "Over the Edge" album, but his main recording and performing amp was the vaunted (and heavy and LOUD) Ampeg VT-22. And not sure if you can call it a pedal, but he also liked the EchoPlex tape unit (not sure which model). Don't forget that he LOVED reverb which he got directly from the amp. Ampegs have some of the most lush reverb on the planet, so if you're trying to cop his tone you need an SG Classic w/ P-90's and a mid 60's or early 70's Ampeg. :thu:

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its great pedal, great for making your tone fatter and adding sustain.

Good call man. I have to one too and I set it up the same way. I don't push the gain far at all. Basically just fattens things up and adds sustain.

• Members

Man, I'm half tempted to start a "Post Photos of Your IKEA Furniture!" thread!
:facepalm:

I would win

Couch: Check

Curtains x(most rooms in the house): Check

Desks X3: Check

Bed Side Table: Check

Tv Table: Check

Picture Board: Check

Candles: Check

Etc, etc, etc.

• Members

I have to go to a show now, so all my gear is loaded up, but sometime tonight or tomorrow, I'll try to get a picture of my rig. I've substantially downsized, so I should be able to fit everything in one shot now, actually.

Telemaster -> Wilson Ten Spot II -> Klon Centaur-> Paul C. Timmy (symmetrical mode with the most clipping) -> Dr. Scientist The Cleanness -> Korg Pitchblack -> Dr. Scientist Sunny Day Delay -> Dr. Scientist Miniberator -> GigRig Humdinger -> Vox AC4 (Celestion Gold) -> Star Nova (running into an Avatar 2x12 with G12h30 and Vintage 30).

• Members

I have to go to a show now, so all my gear is loaded up, but sometime tonight or tomorrow, I'll try to get a picture of my rig. I've substantially downsized, so I should be able to fit everything in one shot now, actually.

Telemaster -> Wilson Ten Spot II -> Klon Centaur-> Paul C. Timmy (symmetrical mode with the most clipping) -> Dr. Scientist The Cleanness -> Korg Pitchblack -> Dr. Scientist Sunny Day Delay -> Dr. Scientist Miniberator -> GigRig Humdinger -> Vox AC4 (Celestion Gold) -> Star Nova (running into an Avatar 2x12 with G12h30 and Vintage 30).

I call BS. Too much awesome for one person to own. I demand n99dz of your female lead singer as penance for your sin.

• Members

The only guitars I liked through my old Maz were semi-hollows. Everything else seemed way too bright.

It could be a bright rig, but I much prefer it that way. It's much easier to roll off a little treble than it is to add sparkle and chime to a dark, dull rig. My tele and strat sound fantastic through my Maz, it just takes use of the tone knob on the guitar and the right eq settings on the amp. This is how I had it set for some home practice today (obviously the Volume and Master would be set much differently when playing with the band, cranking the amp really adds to the fatness):

IMG_0420.jpg

Then again, I'm guessing we play completely different styles of music, with different tones in mind. I see you play a Les Paul through a Bogner, which is a great rig, but really not what I'm into.

Archived