Anybody using a buffer pedal on their board?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I wish claytonjohn18 would get his ass in here and drop some buffer knowledge... :poke:

yes please.

and i know saturn, thanks for the help in clearing this up.
how would you go about making one? what parts would you need and such?
i'm handy enough with a soldering iron :o

• Members
yes please.

and i know saturn, thanks for the help in clearing this up.

how would you go about making one? what parts would you need and such?

i'm handy enough with a soldering iron
:o

Oh, I was just kidding dude. I think he was in the same boat you were trying to learn more about them and eventually chalked the whole thing up to marketing and salesmanship. See my sig.

• Members

I knew nothing about buffers until I bought an Eventide ModFactor. The ModFactor worked perfectly with all of my amps, except for my former Mesa. The ModFactor interacted with the Mesa in a way that gave me a bright and brittle sound. The ModFactor's manual addressed this and said it had to do with the way the various Ohm levels from the the amp and all my pedals were interacting. Putting a buffer first in the chain solves this problem. I use the Radial BigShot PB1 buffer bc it allows you to increase or decrease the drag on your pickups; which is how you compensate for tone loss that occurs through the use of multiple pedals and cables or through changes in Ohm levels. Their website actually explains the ordeal very well.

As far as the whole tru-bypass FX pedal argument goes... I still use tru-bypass FX pedals because when the pedal is off, I want it completely disconnected from my signal chain. The buffer in an FX pedal is completely different from the buffer used in a pedal such as the BigShot.

• 8 months later...
  • Members
^were you trying to post this in the Dude '89 thread bobby?
:lol:
the DC-2 was discontinued in that year
:lol:

hey - i'm just curious if the buffer solved your problems? Did you try the MXR, if so? i'm having the same problem (20ft from the guitar to pedalboard, and then through 15 pedals, then 6 ft to the amp) and i am considering buffers at the start and end of the board, as my tone loss is horrible.

any advice?

• Members

Old thread is indeed old.

I will say that I used a little buffer made by member SoulSonic and it's great. Cost me fifty bucks, and does it's job.

I a/b/c'd it a few times when I first got it. Compared the clean tones of a single 6 foot cable, the cleans of two 25 foot cables and my board (7 true bypass pedals), and then the cleans form the two 25 footers, and the board w/ the buffer. Between the board/buffer and lone 6 foot cable, I could hear no difference. The board and long cables without the buffer was definitely a little flat. Sounded like I backed off the volume and tone slightly on the guitar.

DSCN0984.jpg

• Members

'Don't believe you are gonna need a buffer at the front and back of your pedalboard. I believe for the best results you need to place the buffer near the start of your pedal chain.

I am using a Toadworks Big Banana. $100. Does the job.

However, it does seem to screw with some of my effects. For example, if placed before my Hartman Flanger, I hear clock noises when the pedal is activated.

• Members

wow - informative, new responses to old thread are informative.

i'll try something today at the beginning of the chain (i think the local shop has a wampler in stock). if not, i'll try a TB loop. very cool. thanks!

• Members

Yeah, I forgot to add the bit about how you should always place them first in the chain.

Mine messes with my effects not at all. It's nearest the Malekko Trem and Phase, and those seem unaffected by it. Just nice, full tones that sound like a single short cable.

Also, I have the 616, and the buffer in it is OK, but not as good as the Soulsonic one.

• Members
I've got a little mini buffer from This1smyne velcro'd under my board. I plug into that at the front of my signal chain.

I think it does help a little. Enough to justify spending much on? Not at all. But I paid $20 or something like that and it runs forever on a battery, so it's all good.

This1smyne2.jpg

Like this? I've got mine attached with the double stick industrial str foam tape. It aint coming off.

This1nsmyne is the one to get, unless you could use a boost - I'd really recommend the newer orange one by MI Audio, if that's the case. Both about equal in quality.

Archived