Anybody using a buffer pedal on their board?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I'm thinking about adding the Wampler buffer just for {censored}s and giggles. Most all of my peds are true bybass but I'd like to make sure there is no tone suckage going on.

It seems a little pricey for such an easy build. If you don't want to make one, I'm sure T1M, a forumite, or even loop-master could make you one on the cheaps.

• Members

What does your pedal chain look like?

I am building the board at present. I haven't assigned an order or which will go through the effect loop and which will go direct.

The components so far are -

Joe Meek Floor Q

Voodoo Labs Chorus

Voodoo Labs Tremolo

Wampler Triple Wreck

Wampler Under Dog

Eventide Timefactor

Boss DD-7

Wampler Buffer

EB volume pedal

EB 25K volume/expression pedal for Timefactor

I play a CS Tele through a Dr Z MAZ 38 w/2-10's. These two are a match made in heaven with incredible tone like a ringing bell. No tone suckage will be allowed.:)

• Members

I've got a little mini buffer from This1smyne velcro'd under my board. I plug into that at the front of my signal chain.

I think it does help a little. Enough to justify spending much on? Not at all. But I paid $20 or something like that and it runs forever on a battery, so it's all good.

• Members

I have a pair of buffers i made from Beavis's website, they work really well and weren't that hard to put together..

As for placement, you really just have to play with it in your chain. I just pulled one out last night and put it right in front of everything, it works really well. I'd recommend using a TB loop to hear what the buffer is actually doing, that way you can click the loop on or off and see if you have the same tone with all your effects turned off in the loop or have them all bypassed.

In the past, i've placed these buffers in the front of the chain and after or just one in the middle. Like i said, it all depends on what effects your using and how many of them etc.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0264-1.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Members

can someone pls explain how said buffers work?

how the hell can it 'improve' your tone and make it sound unaffected by the lengths of cable and what not?? :confused:

does it just add some high end to your sound? :lol:

tl:dr

Buffers, how do they work? :lol:

• Members

ok, but pls explain why said buffer is 1) not built into the amp

and 2) how the hell does it keep the high end in tact when its placed at the end of the fx chain??? :confused: if the high end is already 'lost' where does it get it back from? sounds like magic...or magnets :rolleyes:

and 3) how does it work??? teh electronics behind it. how does it eliminate high end loss of having lengthy cables?

• Members

Its a high impedance/Low impedance thing. Lower impedance signals travel better through circuits etc.

ok, but pls explain why said buffer is 1) not built into the amp

and 2) how the hell does it keep the high end in tact when its placed at the end of the fx chain???
:confused:
if the high end is already 'lost' where does it get it back from? sounds like magic...or magnets
:rolleyes:
and 3) how does it work??? teh electronics behind it. how does it eliminate high end loss of having lengthy cables?

• Members

I have 3 buffers on my board. One at the start of my chain (Crowther Hotcake) and a couple at the end (Malekko Chicklet -> Akai Headrush). It definitely makes a difference in clarity.

-from TGP archives

also

put simply, a buffer makes your pickup signal powered, or "active", at which point it will not really be affected by long cable runs, volume pedals, or other stuff in the chain.

Your signal us only as good as your LAST buffer. Buffers work downhill and essentially stop at the next buffer. I've seen posts where guys put the buffer last in the chain and thought that the entire signal chain behind it was buffered. Guess again. in that situation the only thing thats buffered is the cable to the amp.

and aparently fuzzes dont liek buffers...you guys with buffers find that??

Archived