Tell me about: Laney amps

ambient

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't got a VC30 but I've played through plenty. Melx used to have one - the 1x12 i think.

At 30 watts, they haven't got a lot of clean headroom, but then neither have AC30s.

I'm a big Laney fan though. Got a GH100L en route as we speak.

yeah, I used to have the 2x10 with the 1x12 extension cab, I was never totally happy with the sound of it, always seemed a bit gutless for alt.rock. I blew the output transformer and spilt a whole cup of coffee in it, and it never seemed loud enough to me. So it never made me happy. :(

I have a Laney LV300H (120w SS/hybrid thing) with a 4x12 now and never been happier! It's a {censored}ing brilliant sounding amp for so little money. ... very happy. :)

and Phil, congrats on the GH100L :)

• Members

Nice I was hoping you'd chime. You've seemed to make them sound good.

I'm about to watch that clip (still buffering
:facepalm:
) .

I can't see the VC50 on their site, must be discontinued? Any idea if it's in the same vein as the VC30? seems like its got a lot more junk on the control panel.

I think the VC50 was discontinued around 2001, unfortunately. I quizzed Lyndon about this a couple of years ago, suggesting that it could have been a small classic for the company, but I'm buggered if I can remember the reason he gave me for ceasing production. As far as I know though, the 30 was just a less powered 1 x 12 version. The VC50 is quite heavy, heavier than a Twin, but its clean channel is unrivaled in my experience (although I'm yet to put a HIWATT through the ringer).

There is a light though and that would be the Lionheart Series. The 5LT is mind bogglingly great sounding to me and has all of the right features - greenback, tubes, Class A, parallel effects loop, killer clean channel, glorious looks - all of that. I'm hanging out for a 20W version so I can take it on stage and have a go.

Cheers, B.

Guest Guest

Shameless plug: I'm selling a Laney TT50 1x12 for cheap if you want. I can tell you a bit about it if you PM me.

• Members

Shameless plug: I'm selling a Laney TT50 1x12 for cheap if you want. I can tell you a bit about it if you PM me.

I won't be shipping any amps from the USA to Australia, Japan or anywhere else. But thanks anyway.

Go ahead and tell me a bit about those amps though if you wouldn't mind?

• Members

I almost bought a Lionheart 20w head a while ago (got a Vox night train instead). It was a really nice-sounding amp, although the clean was spongy rather than squeaky clean. Which I liked a lot.

Steve

Yea the 20w Lionheart is looking pretty darn sexy. Does anyone know if they have enough grunt to jam with a rock band un-mic'd?

Also considering the Vox night train and a 2x12" or something. How's that working for ya?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

hmmmmmm I'm looking into the VC-30 2x10 and this thread has helped. I'm using a Les Paul, not sure if it would be too dark. I'm also eying a Ampeg Gemini I but I want something with fair headroom and good cleans, not too dark, since I'm using an LP.

• Members

hmmmmmm I'm looking into the VC-30 2x10 and this thread has helped. I'm using a Les Paul, not sure if it would be too dark. I'm also eying a Ampeg Gemini I but I want something with fair headroom and good cleans, not too dark, since I'm using an LP.

I wouldn't worry; they're pretty bright amps.

• Members

I think everything Laney makes is worth checking out, personally.

I think this is an accurate statement. I have a AOR 30 that I got for almost nothing a couple years ago, and the shop that I frequent is a Laney dealer, so I've tried a whole bunch of their new stuff, and I've dug all of it. I still prefer Ampeg stuff for myself, but I think that Laney would be next after that.

• Members

I've owned LC15's/30's and VC15/30's - enjoyed them a lot, but if I were to get another (keep going through stages of selling gear and getting some back), it'd be a nice new VC15. Great little amps.

For your price category and potential usage capabilities, I'd say the LC30, VC50 or Lionheart 20. If you can afford it, definitely the Lionheart 20!

• Members

I've still got a Pro-Linebacker PL100 twin from 1985 - built like a tank. Thought about selling it a few times, but every time I check it before advertising, it reminds me of just how good it sounds. Dirty channel is horrible SS distortion when cranked, but clean it's sweet

Archived