Tell me about: Laney amps

ambient

• Members

I'm thinking about amps for when I move to Japan, these came up in another thread the other day.

Who's got some experiences? I think burger uses one for some demos right?

I'm looking specifically at a VC-30...I get the impression it's their version of an AC30?

Basically I'm looking for a good combo, not too big but grunty enough to jam with that will take pedals well. If it's got some good crunch too I'd be pretty happy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The VC30 is a great amp, but I'd personally opt for the 2x12 version over the 1x12 or 2x10. It'll just be bigger sounding, with a more full low end.

Nice and cheap for what they are.

That's what I'm looking for, a nice amp at a lowish price point. I can crxsh it out later on once I settle down a bit if it aint perfect.

Do you have one yourself? I hear the stock speakers are average and some guys have issues with the output tranny?

• Members

There are 50/100's , don't doubt an ol time rocker on this, just make sure it's got life left in it, now if the electrolytics, are varing then cure them and, cuase the world a very sharing welcoming...

Sounds very cool...I'm looking for a combo right now though, getting away from the ol'stack/rack type thang. 50watts would be my absolute max, preferably less.

That said, I'll def keep my eyes peeled and give one a crack if I get the chance.

• Members

I haven't got a VC30 but I've played through plenty. Melx used to have one - the 1x12 i think.

At 30 watts, they haven't got a lot of clean headroom, but then neither have AC30s.

I'm a big Laney fan though. Got a GH100L en route as we speak.

From the demos on their site, they also don't seem to have a ton of gain. I don't care i it stays squeaky clean but do they stay cleanish up very loud?

Laneys don't seem to be very 'chic' right now which is good cause the prices stay a bit lower, what else of theirs is worth checking out?

• Members

There is a 30 watt AOR combo that goes for cheap on ebay. Sounds great, but it's an ugly brute.

very much a different sound to the VC30 though, so it depends what you're looking for in an amp.

I've always been into more gainy amps, I wanna go the other way for now. Use some pedals to get ugly with a clean(er) amp.

• Members

Well the clean channel itself doesn't have a gain control. So it's squeaky clean until the power tubes start to distort.

I think everything Laney makes is worth checking out, personally. Also check out the LC30 and LC50. Different flavour amps to the VC30. All great.

• Members

Well the clean channel itself doesn't have a gain control. So it's squeaky clean until the power tubes start to distort.

I think everything Laney makes is worth checking out, personally. Also check out the LC30 and LC50. Different flavour amps to the VC30. All great.

That's actually pretty cool.

Will look at the LC ones too

• Members

I say check both the LC30 and LC50 out because they have different power sections, which has a big impact on tone. pretty sure the LC30 is EL84 and the LC50 is EL34.

myth: confirmed.

good point.

• Members

I have a vc30. I like it quite a bit. The drive channel is nothing to get excited about but it's perfectly usable. It takes pedals and fuzz well.

What I was hoping for is a pretty good clean and maybe a drive channel that pretty much takes the clean and gives it a bit more guts and grit.

Is it anything like that?

Care to take a stab at describing the sound?

• Members

I had a vc30 2x10 for about 1.5 years. I sold it and bought a twin reverb. Towards the end I really started to hate it. Not a bad amp though, just not what I was looking for.

I'd strongly recommend buying a 5w lionheart combo over it. Much better gain and speaker etc and its around the same price as a VC30

• Members

I had a vc30 2x10 for about 1.5 years. I sold it and bought a twin reverb. Towards the end I really started to hate it. Not a bad amp though, just not what I was looking for.

I'd strongly recommend buying a 5w lionheart combo over it. Much better gain and speaker etc and its around the same price as a VC30

I don't think 5w is gonna be enough for me. Also the gain is kinda an extra as I'm really after something with a decent clean(ish) sound.

I want to start playing around with pedals for a while, in the past I've been all about amp gain and I wanna try a different approach.

• Members

I don't think 5w is gonna be enough for me. Also the gain is kinda an extra as I'm really after something with a decent clean(ish) sound.

I want to start playing around with pedals for a while, in the past I've been all about amp gain and I wanna try a different approach.

The clean is very very very compressed. Typical EL84 vox-ish sound but darker. You do have a bright switch which is pretty useless. I don't know, I didn't notice at first but it felt so tiny. Btw its more of a AC15 tone than a AC30 tone (not tube rect etc).

• Members

The clean is very very very compressed. Typical EL84 vox-ish sound but darker. You do have a bright switch which is pretty useless. I don't know, I didn't notice at first but it felt so tiny. Btw its more of a AC15 tone than a AC30 tone (not tube rect etc).

did you like it?

• Members

did you like it?

At first I liked it compared to other amps I tried in that price range. But looking back now, its very medicore at best. I love the lionheart though.

But then again, I'm more of a twin reverb person and not a fan out that ac15 sound.

• Members

I run a VC50 which is a 2x12 with EL34's. It shipped with H&H's and 6L6's. They were unceremoniously removed rather quickly and replaced with some nice old greenbacks and Svetlanas.

The clean channel is the basis for around 150 of my clips. It even handles the 7 string just fine (see below). The clean channel has no master and takes a LOT to break up. In fact no Fender that I've tried has had the same headroom, including Twins.

The Lionheart is a killer too. Class A, very loud, not as much headroom though. A woodier, throatier sound. Great stuff. Can't recommend them highly enough and I've never wanted for another amp (much).

[YOUTUBE]ffGaRvY10kg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Nice I was hoping you'd chime. You've seemed to make them sound good.

I'm about to watch that clip (still buffering :facepalm: ) .

I can't see the VC50 on their site, must be discontinued? Any idea if it's in the same vein as the VC30? seems like its got a lot more junk on the control panel.

Archived