What do you like the least about the synth you like the most?

ClavAnother

• Members

I don't like how the Access Virus has all the controls clustered on the left side - I know I know, I realize this is intentional for two reasons - they use the same ic board for the key & the module and the extra space is good for other desktop modules, but I'd like to see more controls and have it spread out more. I could get the Polar, I suppose, that might make up for it. Otherwise, the TI is my favorite. - J.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't like how the Access Virus has all the controls clustered on the left side - I know I know, I realize this is intentional for two reasons - they use the same ic board for the key & the module and the extra space is good for other desktop modules, but I'd like to see more controls and have it spread out more. I could get the Polar, I suppose, that might make up for it. Otherwise, the TI is my favorite. - J.

I'm fine with that, because it seems like they don't have to modify the desktop at all to fit it into the keyboard. It looks like you could almost just drop it right in.

I do think they should have used the right side of the board for more controls though. Maybe a bank of assignable sliders and knobs, or a joystick or ribbon or something.

It does give you a nice space where you can put the unit of your choice though. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Kurzweil K series - Crappy, slow, monophonic LFOs. They should go at least ten thousand times faster then they do. The fact that Kurzweil never really added any new DSP blocks (except maybe one or two wierd ones) for the whole line of K synths up till now is pretty bogus too. It also get's extremely enthusiastic about things that don't really warrant it, and pisses all over the place when it get's excited, and agrees with everything I say in this really tedious way, and steals all my trademark catch phrases, and smells like crucified luggage, and has a way of making me feel like the worlds biggest Dracula when I criticize it by the sad sack tone of voice it always adopts, and it drinks my blood and steals my breath when I sleep then blames it on pilgrims and new horizons, and it groans cynically whenever I talk about bee man. One day I'm going to ask it to come outside to see if it thinks that wierd thing in the sky is a UFO or not, then as it turns around to tell me it's just the moon I'll hit it with a snow shovel and bury it in Ireland, then I'll buy a tuxedo and party.

• Members

In the "you get what you pays for" category and while not my overall favorite but as my favorite grab and go synth...

The ultra lightweight Korg X50: no aftertouch, hinky keybed, and the power plug that is a disaster waiting to happen.

(Wait, that's three things. Sorry, I hate them all but still enjoy the instrument for it's utility.)

• Members

Patch storage of Oberheim OB-SX

It sounds so good it is a crime that it doesn't store patches.

I don't think that would be technically impossible to do, although nobody's ever done it...

An idea would be to have Encore Electronics build a midi interface for it in which patches could be ported in or out via system exclusive (which is a standard feature of all Encore midi interfaces). Those patches would be compatible with the original OBX. This would basically turn the OB-SX into a fully variable programmable synth, although the "varying" and "programming" would have to be done on an OBX. It would be sort of like a Yamaha DX-7 to Yamaha TX-7 type relationship, in the sense that you would aquire patches developed on the "mother keyboard" (the OBX) and port them into the "child keyboard" (the OB-SX)...

I think that the only reason Oberheim didn't implement patch overwriting and storage (via cassette in those days) on the OB-SX was because it would have cut into the sales of their more expensive models...

• Members

MS2000B

portamento has the exact same rate no matter what pitch you are going to. It takes just as long to go from low F to high C as it does to from high B to high C.

That's crazy. Can anyone here tell me how that is supposed to be musically useful, please?

That's how it works on the TB-303. 303 sounds were really popular when the MS-2000 came out - maybe that's why they chose that design. It does sound good for techno riffs, IMO.

I like synths where you can choose between the two modes, though...

• Members

Poly Evolver - if you turn a knob quickly, it doesn't really change the parameter. That, and the volume, distortion, output hack, and feedback knobs (all the good ones) are on the far right, while the mod wheel is on the left.

So if you're playing live, trying to add some distortion or "tuned feedback" while you are soloing, you are desperately reaching and cranking those knobs between notes, trying not to drop a beat, and your sound isn't getting nasty like it should.

• Members

S90ES- less than stellar B3 sounds and the worst leslie sim ever

Electro2- less than stellar acoustic piano sounds

Nord Lead 2- expression control pedal input can control just about any parameter except expression, which forces you to use an inline volume pedal.

• Members

SH-5-Bandpass filter isn't voltage controlled and happens to be one of the best sounding filters ever. I would prefer the VCF to be 4 pole and for the square wave to be fatter.

Octave Cat-A ring mod would be great.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Nord Electro 2

OK, from page 36 of the manual: Change pedal polarity between Open and Closed for Sustain Pedal and Rotor Speed Pedal...

Now, from page 9 in the manual: Control/Expression pedals from Yamaha have different characteristics and are not suitable for use with the Electro 2

So...you're telling me that you can use software to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow for sustain, but you just can't figure it out for the Expression Pedal???

The Yamaha pedal is arguably the only pedal on the market for use in this application.

:facepalm:

l_d95242e13b2340cea7e7cea58362d7db.jpg

So yes you can DIY, but I'm saying; Clavia! You are so close and yet so far in so many ways.

Archived