What do you like the least about the synth you like the most?

ClavAnother

• Members

True, but you got the octave shift button and plenty o' keys...do you really need to play the uppermost keys?

Well, I had the 61 and I've played the 73...I would have bought both so that I could put the 73 on the bottom and the 61 on top - that way I could play all the Hammond parts (yes I need both manuals) and/or still be able to have a pair of any of the instruments at hand.

Since I play the real-life versions of almost everything the electro was made to simulate (not the ac grand), it is important to me not to have to be f*cking with octave switching on top of managing a handful of instruments on a pair of keyboards.

And yes there is a time and a place to have the entire keyboard at my disposal...maybe I am just being a lazy bitch, but since I like the Electros I am bothered that they are so close, and yet so far.

I am just not in a place where I can gig with my rig anymore. I could almost pull it off with the nords and a Leslie.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I had the 61 and I've played the 73...I would have bought both so that I could put the 73 on the bottom and the 61 on top - that way I could play all the Hammond parts (yes I
need
both manuals) and/or still be able to have a pair of any of the instruments at hand.

Since I play the real-life versions of almost everything the electro was made to simulate (not the ac grand), it is important to me not to have to be f*cking with octave switching on top of managing a handful of instruments on a pair of keyboards.

And yes there is a time and a place to have the entire keyboard at my disposal...maybe I am just being a lazy bitch, but since I like the Electros I am bothered that they are so close, and yet so far.

I am just not in a place where I can gig with my rig anymore. I could almost pull it off with the nords and a Leslie.

I play many of the originals too and I can make it for gigs when portability is high priority using the Electro 61...simply save your sound with the octave switched. When I need a broader range, I use my S90 as the 88-note weighted controller for Electro sounds (like CP80 and Rhodes sounds).

Sounds like you may like the Stage 76 or 88 better?

• Members

Triton Pro - the fact that it is still pretty limited and has not been expanded.
I'm likely moving up to an M3 this winter, and I'll always feel like I was never able to give the Triton a proper shakedown. More RAM, and more sound sets, the MOSS board...It's missing it all... :cry::facepalm:

• Members

Nord Electro - Leslie button is on wrong side (WHY?? clavia??)
ARP Prosoloist - it is actually made from cardboard (no kidding!!)
Rhodes - there are little metal things on the harp and the tines next to it will always vibrate against it after a while...makes the piano go "zzzing!"
CP70 - the bass keys seem to be connected to my proverbial behind
K-Station - no sustain pedal jack (uhmm??)
Mackie VLZPro: in "rude solo" you hear the LED clicking in the audio signal
TC M300 - no on/off switch

• Members

Rhodes - there are little metal things on the harp and the tines next to it will always vibrate against it after a while...makes the piano go "zzzing!"

Are you talking about the harp cross bars? thin flat metal support bars that connect the harp to the pickup rail?

I have had success putting a bit of matchbook in between the base of the tonebar (where the screws are) and the support bar just to sort of isolate them.

• Members

RTFM - you CAN control the stereo pan.

this is a rack mount, btw, so maybe you're referring to CV input or some other functionality exclusive to the keyboard version? that'd be just fine, except they use the same manual AND OS for the rack version. (e.g. i have menu options for the touch screen, wtf?). even properly assigned, there is no discernible effect on pan.

sound: great

hardware interface: great

menu interface: bad

manual: meh.

• Members
Roland Jupiter 8 - lack of ocarina sample.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

PEK: the fact that you can't use the sequencer without gating the notes. You can route the sequencer to all sorts of nifty destinations, but you can't play a pad if you do. I keep trying to use that damned sequencer, and every time I try I get pissed off.

• Members

this is a rack mount, btw, so maybe you're referring to CV input or some other functionality exclusive to the keyboard version? that'd be just fine, except they use the same manual AND OS for the rack version. (e.g. i have menu options for the touch screen, wtf?). even properly assigned, there is no discernible effect on pan.

No it is not exclusive to the keyboard version and it is not a CV input.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

MS2000B

portamento has the exact same rate no matter what pitch you are going to. It takes just as long to go from low F to high C as it does to from high B to high C.

That's crazy. Can anyone here tell me how that is supposed to be musically useful, please?

• Members

Fantom X = USB 1.0

V-Synth = it's multitimbral ... but I can't seem to crack that nut ... (edit: same as Jup-6; you can have two different sounds playing but not layered ...)

Jupiter-6 ... can split the keyboard (with two sounds or arps) but can't layer (that's what Ju-60 is for ... ) and the arps sync to the same rate ...

Electribes ... Velocity on pads would have been great ...

• Members

Yamaha S90ES - Weighs a freakin' ton and any hard case available for it weighs an additional ton...

Roland V-Combo - Should have had separate outputs for organ section...

Roland X7 - If it had waterfall keys, drawbars, and included Roland's clonewheel engine, I wouldn't need the V-Combo...

• Members

- A6 - so far...the naff display. cut that corner tight, they did :freak:

- Supernova2 - lousy saws. just plain dull, overly-digital mush.down low they sound OK but above middle C it's very discouraging. Sometimes good for mellow CS-type leads and 'JUMP' :cop: ...but that's about it! :mad:
Unless you're running the arp and filtering the crap outta them i stick with PWM on this board.

- V-Synth - upper & lower ranges of LFOs are so aliased it's embarassing :facepalm:

- Little Phatty - software-generated Sample&Hold and Noise Modulation on an analog mono :facepalm:.......good thing you can get the real deal and much more in a CP-251 :love:

• Members

The Korg DSS-1 - the fact that no one soft-synth'ed it yet!

Where do I start? The weight, the size, 256k sample memory, floppy drive and all those disks!!!! I wish it didnt sound so damn good so I can get rid of it already. It's like an albatross around my neck.

• Members

Virus TI: Inaccurate timing and quantization when using the Virus Control plug-in. :facepalm:

Seems to be OK when you only use MIDI cables and the 1/4" outputs but the downside is losing the nice editor/librarian. Still waiting for Access to make a stand-alone Virus Control via MIDI. :poke:

Archived