Warren Ellis Signature Tenor guitar from Eastwood

RadioSilence

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I was thinking the exact opposite unless you were being sarcastic in which case we are on the same page.
:wave:;)

No sarcasm. Sometimes rock and roll needs a kick in the butt... with all the gagas, biebers, american idols and countless bands jumping the garage bandwagon, it seems pretty cool to have "the birthday party" showing them how it's done.

Not everything can be muse or radiohead you know...

• Members

standard string gauges are .036 .024 .016 .010 and 23" scale so yeah, that sounds right.

alternative tunings:

Octave mandolin tuning: GDAE

"Guitar" tuning: DGBE

other possible tunings:

"Guitar" tuning, transposed up a fourth

(uke tuning, but G is 1 octave lower): GCEA

Slide: CGCG, or DADA

• 5 months later...
  • Members

What a cool guitar - I like this one much better then the tiny electric mandolins I've seen him with. After listening to Grinderman and watching a bunch of live videos of them, I re-strung my main guitar with only four strings (in the middle four string positions) tuned to D-A-D-G. The idea of using only 4 strings completely changes the way you think about playing, both limiting your choices, and forcing you to play more "vertically".

I'm also thinking that Warren likes the 4-strings since he's a violinist.

• Members

What a cool guitar - I like this one much better then the tiny electric mandolins I've seen him with. After listening to Grinderman and watching a bunch of live videos of them, I re-strung my main guitar with only four strings (in the middle four string positions) tuned to D-A-D-G.
The idea of using only 4 strings completely changes the way you think about playing, both limiting your choices, and forcing you to play more "vertically".

I'm also thinking that Warren likes the 4-strings since he's a violinist.

i started as a bass player then learned guitar a few years later. this was in the late 90s and i still can't get my head around the B and top E strings being a semitone out of whack with the first four strings :D

why can't the whole thing be tuned in fourths? it would make things so much easier.

or 5ths, like violins, etc. (is New Standard Tuning in 5ths? - i had a play about with NST once but can't really remember much about it)

• Members

No sarcasm. Sometimes rock and roll needs a kick in the butt... with all the gagas, biebers, american idols and countless bands jumping the garage bandwagon, it seems pretty cool to have "the birthday party" showing them how it's done.

Not everything can be muse or radiohead you know

:lol:

Grinderman is really cool. Not music I'd have ever imagined that I would like, but they are cool. Your post is spot on. We need more ugly ass dudes kicking ass in rock music right now. Well, besides christianatl of course. Kidding.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

i started as a bass player then learned guitar a few years later. this was in the late 90s and i still can't get my head around the B and top E strings being a semitone out of whack with the first four strings
:D
why can't the whole thing be tuned in fourths? it would make things so much easier.

or 5ths, like violins, etc. (is New Standard Tuning in 5ths? - i had a play about with NST once but can't really remember much about it)

NST - the "Frippian" tuning is really difficult to learn, and you really need a whole new set of strings, very heavy on the bottom, very light at the top. But I like forcing myself into unfamiliar territory like this every so often. I also did a whole album in C,G,C,G,C,D just to try something totally different.

Here's a great website that has a fretboard diagram generator for weird tunings, etc. Go to the "Fretboard Printer" where you can plug in any tuning and 4-6 strings. Very cool. http://www.studybass.com/

• Members

heh, I just got one of these Eastwoods yesterday, I didn't even know how to play it at first but after a couple of minutes of trial and error I was playing some funny but great licks, so I just took it home

looks great, sounds eally good and perfect for those atonal Sonic Youth riffs. I don't know if Eastwood is still making this, but if you find one, give it a try, it's refreshing

Archived