How to rehouse a dano Cool Cat Drive?

Thomas Rojo

• Members

http://supervelcroboy.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/how-to-rehouse-the-cool-cat.pdf

so far this is the best info ive gotten, i just dont know where to buy the stuff. I have a soldering iron, solder, and the pedal but the other stuff i wouldnt know where to get. Like the jacks, it mentions i need those but doesnt the pedal have jacks already that i can just reuse? And the 3pdt switch ive been searching on amazon but find no luck. This will be my first time doing any mod or changes to a pedal so is this something that i can be able to accomplish?

• Members

I tried and failed miserably, in the future I would contact JHS:

100_7554-filtered.jpg

If you get a blank enclosure and a drill I think you wouldn't need any other parts. If you open the thing up there's enough slack in all the parts that you could mount the assembly as-is in another enclosure.

• Members

I was gonna do my tremolo, but once I'd opened it up, it put me off a bit. I wasn't sure about shileded wires, or moving the knobs from the back side of the pedal to the top.

I didn't want to end up breaking a part that couldn't be fixed :(

Would love to re-house both my trem and transparent OD - although the OD has the hidden switch behind the battery compartment, so this would also need access

• Members

I rehoused my transparent drive. I didn't strictly need to, but ended up replacing the jacks, switch, pots and LED. I know it's messy looking, but it works great and is so much easier to use now that the knobs are separated and on top.

DSCN9283c.jpg

It now has four orange blade style knobs.

DSCN9286c.jpg

• Members

Thanks Robo! I really didn't care for the stacked tone knobs or the overall placement of the knobs. Just too difficult to adjust on the fly on stage.

I also use their trem, but since it's set it and forget it for me (one song), I have no plans to rehouse it.

Mine is the original version. I haven't played the revised one, but the videos on youtube make it sound close enough that either one would work in a live setting IMHO.

• Members

Which version of the CTO is better/preffered and why?

I read a few reviews and watched some video reviews before deciding, and went for V2.

the geramandude?? video review on youtube was good, played the V1 off against a Timmy and says he couldn't belive the similarities.

Then I think there's a vid review comparing V1 and V2, and V2 sounded better.

I love it, great pedal

• Members

Thanks Robo! I really didn't care for the stacked tone knobs or the overall placement of the knobs. Just too difficult to adjust on the fly on stage.

I also use their trem, but since it's set it and forget it for me (one song), I have no plans to rehouse it.

yah, the TOD is pretty much a set and forget for me, and having the knobs behind and out of the way of my feet is great so I don't knock my forgotten settings out. :lol:

• Members

Rehousing the Chicken Salad was probably one of the worst ideas i ever had. So glad it worked the first time.. Never again though, such a pita :mad:

the cool cat pedals are much easier to re-house than the "food" series IMO.

the switch, jacks and wires can be re-used.

go for it, a cheap way to get into pedal modding/building

• Members

so far this is the best info ive gotten, i just dont know where to buy the stuff. I have a soldering iron, solder, and the pedal but the other stuff i wouldnt know where to get. Like the jacks, it mentions i need those but doesnt the pedal have jacks already that i can just reuse? And the 3pdt switch ive been searching on amazon but find no luck. This will be my first time doing any mod or changes to a pedal so is this something that i can be able to accomplish?

How do you keep your Dano Drive set? How does it work with your Bir Muff Tone Wicker? I've got the Drive and a MXR Classic OD, and I had the level relatively low on both but the gain all the way up. They sounded good individually but like crap when I stacked them. I started messing around with the level and drive controls on each, moving all knobs to around 12:00 and they stack a little better now, though it's still pretty noisy. I've with found the Classic OD, there essentially isn't alot of difference in the amount of gain between 12:00 and full out, whereas the Drive there is a significant amount of difference in gain between 12:00 and full out. I never had the gain past 3:00 on the Drive anyways, it got a little buzzy full out.

I want to add a silicon fuzz or big muff tone wicker, but I'm not sure which one. I'm going to have to go to the store and mess around with them.

• Members

I just got the V.1 TOD and was messing around with boosting my Big Muff w/wicker last night for the first time. I haven't played around with the combo enough just yet but I did find a setting that sounds really good. I set the TOD's gain at three o'clock and the bass and treble around twelve. I have it in front of the BMP w/wicker, tone stack bypassed and the sustain at two o'clock. Try something like that out. BTW I was playing through an 18 watt amp AXL Medway special. I haven't tried this through the AC30 yet. I might have to try to re-house this thing if I decide to keep it because the footprint is taking up a little too much room on the board.

• Members

I've never had a real timmy, but paul C himself confirms it's identical.

can you post a link ^. have you listened to the GMD demo on youtube? the V1 sounds different from V2, and neither sound like the Timmy. they're close but I can hear a difference, the Timmy is more open sounding, or "transparent".

Archived