Jazzmaster owners...

arcaneaether

• Members

I need some help making a decision.

I have a MIJ Jazzmaster - amazing guitar but as you may have heard, the pickups are not great.

I've recently been in contact with a pickup maker (Catswhisker pickups) and I'm thinking it's a good option to go for as I've had some glowing reviews from people.

The question is, he makes normal Jazzmaster pickups (I assume to vintage-ish spec), and also makes P90 Jazzmaster pickups (fitting in normal Jazzmaster pickup covers). Which should I go for? I like lots of body to the sound, plenty of clang but not too twangy. I'm thinking the P90 but have no experience with the classic JM sound - is it that good that I should go for it? Youtube demos aren't that representative of their sound, and I've heard lots of praise for "the classic Jazzmaster sound".

Thanks.

TL;DR - vintage spec or P90 pickups for a Jazzmaster?

• Members

Some people don't think the bridge pickup on the Jazzmaster is great so you might want to try a vintage style neck and a P90 bridge PU. It would give the guitar a unique sound but you could still just use the neck pickup if you want a more authentic Jazzmaster sound. Best of both worlds?

• Members

I have a Novak p90 bridge and a Novak regular JM pickup in the neck. The p90 still sounds a lot like a regular Jazzmaster pickup, it doesn't sound like a full on Gibson P90. My guitar tech didn't even know it wasn't a traditional Jazzmaster pickup but he did comment on how nice it sounded.

I told Curtis Novak I was going for a Weezer Blue Album type of sound and I can come pretty close but it's still a Jazzmaster sound.

• Members

Some people don't think the bridge pickup on the Jazzmaster is great so you might want to try a vintage style neck and a P90 bridge PU. It would give the guitar a unique sound but you could still just use the neck pickup if you want a more authentic Jazzmaster sound. Best of both worlds?

I don't particularly like the bridge pickup, I have SDs in mine and it's very sensitive and extremely treble-y. But I'm cool with that since it sounds epic with both pickups on.

I heard that the pickups on the new classic player series are wound kinda like the p90.

• Members

Dammit so many differing opinions. I'm wrestling with the same issue myself and can't decide which pickup to choose. I personally want something mellow with not too much output since I have other guitars with humbuckers for when I need more juice.

I love the cleans that Sonic Youth have had on their last 2 albums. Think vintage is the way to go for that?

• Members

Vintage spec. Seems like there's a lot of hate for Jazzmaster bridge pups.

Maybe that's cause they're brighter than a god damn supernova. :rolleyes:

But that's what the tone knob's for, right? :lol:

Honestly, I dig the pickups in my MIM, but def post a demo when you get the vintage ones like you should. I wanna see what I'm missin' out on.

• Members

i use SD quarter pounders... love them, and mostly use both pups at the same time or neck....

i use the same in my Jagmaster. SJM-3 jazzmaster pickups.. they sound great! reeaally beefy :thu:

nearly all the video's in my sig have this guitar in.. check out the lovely cleans! :wave:

• Members

Your freeze video is very good. That's what i want that pedal for...

cheers! :)

i changed the knob on it so i can adjust the level with my toes, but otherwise it's a great little pedal for adding drones or punching in on certain notes.

• Members

Cheers everyone.

I've been thinking of two options...

1) slightly cheaper option - the neck in my Jazzy isn't actually that bad at all, it's just the horrific bridge pickup that brings the whole guitar down. Probably get the P90 one for the bridge (or I could ask for a slight overwind)

2) get a vintage-spec for the neck, and an overwound vintage-spec for the bridge.

Hmm. Choices, choices...

Archived