CrystalLake

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I only see two reasons to get married.

1. You believe in god or gods

2. Insurance.

Other than that, marriage is an outdated practice that needs to go away.

Been with my partner going on 6 years, moved in after dating for two weeks.

When it's right, it's right. Old enough not to fool around with bull{censored}.

there are actually a lot of legal reasons to get married, many of them having to do with kids. If you read up on some of the arguments for same sex marriage, you begin to realize how significant some of these laws are. Things like what happens to your kids if you die, property ownership (and tax treatment thereof), etc. I recently took a course on wills and estates and was kind of dumbfounded by all the things that had never occurred to me that get automatically triggered by marriage.

As for the original question, my wife and I lived together for about a year before we got married.

• Members

there are actually a lot of legal reasons to get married, many of them having to do with kids. If you read up on some of the arguments for same sex marriage, you begin to realize how significant some of these laws are. Things like what happens to your kids if you die, property ownership (and tax treatment thereof), etc. I recently took a course on wills and estates and was kind of dumbfounded by all the things that had never occurred to me that get automatically triggered by marriage.

As for the original question, my wife and I lived together for about a year before we got married.

It's called a will. Write one. I have two friends that have been together forever and they adopted two boys. If something happens to one of them their partner is in control. No questions.

I am all for same sex marriage. Why the {censored} not? Cause youre afraid of the gays and the "sanctity" of some business / religious tradition?

• Members

Yep. It takes a bundle of legal agreements (like a will, a power of attorney, specific structure for property deeds, etc.) to approximate the financial and legal benefits of marriage. And even then, you can't get all the way there. The only way to qualify for social security survivor benefits, for example, is to be married.

• Members

Yep. It takes a bundle of legal agreements (like a will, a power of attorney, specific structure for property deeds, etc.) to approximate the financial and legal benefits of marriage. And even then, you can't get all the way there. The only way to qualify for social security survivor benefits, for example, is to be married.

Married people need all those things as well you know.

• Members

I'm traditional: we started living together after we got married. She's Japanese, so there was no other way we could live together, as the Japanese do not condone living together before marriage (which was fine by me). Previously, I had never lived with a woman or girlfriend, so it was a bit bumpy for us the first year as we tried to figure out who does what, etc. 3 kids and 10 happy years so far.

• Members

We were engaged within 2 months of dating. She moved in with me about 4 months after our engagement, and then married about 10 months after our engagement. It all happened fast. That can happen when you don't find the right person until you are 35, and then WHAM!, they suddenly appear.

I was 38 and she was 20 when we met. For years and years my mantra was, "I will never marry," and all it took was one look at her and all of that went out the window. "I will never have kids" was another delusion I had.

• Members
I'm traditional: we started living together after we got married. She's Japanese, so there was no other way we could live together, as the Japanese do not condone living together before marriage (which was fine by me). Previously, I had never lived with a woman or girlfriend, so it was a bit bumpy for us the first year as we tried to figure out who does what, etc. 3 kids and 10 happy years so far.

My Japanese fiancee and I have been living together for the past 3.5-4 years.

But that's been in Australia and New Zealand. We're moving to Japan in 4 weeks and will be living with her family though we're already married in the eyes of Japanese law, we just haven't had our wedding yet. :)

• Members

2. Insurance.

yeah, i've seen that argument before. it makes perfect sense if all you think about is yourself. but, i think it's nice for kids to see that their parents are actually committed to always being together, and being a solid family unit for them. you don't have to have legal documentation to be those things, but if you're in love with your partner enough to commit to them fully and you aren't a {censored} , then you might as well.

• Members

2. Insurance.

Add visas to the list. Oh and maybe love?

Archived