Effectology Vol. 19 "How to turn you guitar into a Moog synthesizer"

baranger1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the great comments everybody and thanks for taking the time to watch the video!
We as electric guitarist have so much to say.
Its big fun to push the boundaries of what our instrument can do and what people think it can do.
Electric guitar has NO limits!
Bill

• Members
Sounds great as always! I'm guessing you'll need a 1/4"->XLR cord to plug your guitar to the V256?

Yeah, 1/4" to XLR male for the input, and another XLR female to 1/4" for the output if you want to go into some more pedals (yes). Some of the settings also require a volume boost when going in, which can be dirt, compressor or clean boost. It's a really great box, and autotune is just the beginning of what it's capable of. The drone and robovox settings are really cool, great for ambient sitar-like stuff.

• Members
Seriously. I never had much interest in the microsynth until I started watching these videos and now I think I
need
one. Bill, your videos never cease to amaze but please stop using the microsynth in your videos.
;):lol:

They're amazing. I used them all over albums for "filler sounds" and it sounds way more organic than even some analog synths. I used to always have one and toured with it, but needed quick money, so.....

• Members

Yeah, 1/4" to XLR male for the input, and another XLR female to 1/4" for the output if you want to go into some more pedals (yes). Some of the settings also require a volume boost when going in, which can be dirt, compressor or clean boost. It's a really great box, and autotune is just the beginning of what it's capable of. The drone and robovox settings are really cool, great for ambient sitar-like stuff.

why are there instrument tele jacks on the v256 ?

both in and out

• Members

A 1/4 inch jacks on the V256 is for guitar or another instrument.
This allows the microphone input to modulate the guitar signal using the vocoder section of the unit.
To access the pitch correction/gliss and drone effects you need to plug your guitar into the mic XLR jack.
I do this using 1/4 to XLR adapters which you can find on eBay.You can also wire your own connectors which is even a better idea, but the adapters work fine.

why are there instrument tele jacks on the v256 ?

both in and out

• Members

sommy
The Micro Synth does not have oscillators.
The voice section is basically a flip flop octave divider-clean guitar- octave fuzz and straight fuzz.
Basically its starting with a bright full frequency square wave then filtering down using the filter section to create other wave sounds. That is exactly how the older subtractive synthesizers did it.
The lucky man sound was a Big Muff Square wave filtered down using the tone control. Filtering down the square wave rounds off the square edges and produces something more like a sine wave.
The Big Muff is not an exact square wave but real close.
The picture below is a almost square wave and a sine wave.
You can see rounding off the hard edges of the square wave takes away the bright harmonics and slowly shapes it into a more mellow sine wave.
bigmuffwave.jpg

Great video as always, but I'm confused -- I always thought that the Microsynth DID have an oscillator for the square wave sound. Is it just a fuzz? Shows what I know.

• Members

Chaos Yes exactly!
The microphone merely modulates or superimposes what your voice is saying into of whatever notes or chords pitches you play.
I guess for lack of better words it molds your words or speech onto whatever you play.

You are right about doing the drone things with a guitar plugged into the microphone input. That is very cool!

Actually, it's the other way around...the guitar input tunes the signal going into the microphone jack.
:cop:

• Members
sommy

The Micro Synth does not have oscillators.

The voice section is basically a flip flop octave divider-clean guitar- octave fuzz and straight fuzz.

Basically its starting with a bright full frequency square wave then filtering down using the filter section to create other wave sounds. That is exactly how the older subtractive synthesizers did it.

The lucky man sound was a Big Muff Square wave filtered down using the tone control. Filtering down the square wave rounds off the square edges and produces something more like a sine wave.

The Big Muff is not an exact square wave but real close.

The picture below is a almost square wave and a sine wave.

You can see rounding off the hard edges of the square wave takes away the bright harmonics and slowly shapes it into a more mellow sine wave.

bigmuffwave.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Members
Actually, it's the other way around...the guitar input tunes the signal going into the microphone jack.
:cop:

The guitar (carrier signal) is modulated by the formant frequencies of your voice (the vocoder portion), which are isolated from the microphone input by a series of bandpass filters.

Archived