Any lead vocalists here?

Meriphew

• Members

Just curious as to how many of you are the lead singer for your group/project, as well as playing guitar. What sort of mic/fx are you using on your voice for live shows and rehearsals?

I use a Shure Beta 58 > Radial JS3 mic splitter (Jensen transformers) which splits the signal. Output A is dry, Output B > TC Helicon Voicetone Create pedal. This gives the soundman the option of blending a wet/dry signal.

• Members

I've done it before awhile ago... there was maybe reverb... I hate singing.

Anyway, there was one project I did where we were using lots of effects on vocals (but I wasn't singing). I put together a setup with the mic going into a Presonus BlueTube->DeltaLab Effectron->Digitech S100->mixing board. The Effectron is really cool on vocals and the Digitech handled whatever else. It was like Electronic/Industrial sort of music. Didn't really use any distortion per se, but we'd run levels on the processors intentionally hot so that they'd distort at some points.

• Members

I am, I didn't even really mean to be, I was just the one who had the balls to go up and sing. I'm not the best by far, but I try. Anyways, I've always used a Shure SM58 or an AS-400, usually with just a bit of echo from the PA, but I have experimented with using an RE-20 which was fun. Next band I really want to run the vocals into some kind of vocal effects pedal, just for a bit of reverby/tape echo type sound and maybe some ADT type sounds. Not heavy, just enough to notice/beef up the vocals a bit because I have kind of a thin voice.

• Members

I don't play live, but if I did I have a Shure Beta 58A on hand. I also have another Beta 58a, a 57, and an Audix i5. However the house usually has several mics so I don't think it's necessary to bring your own.

In the studio on the other hand, it's either a M-Audio Sputnik or a Shure SM7B depending on the song.

• Members

For the last 6-7 months or so I've been doing vocals and synthesizers for a band. Haven't played my guitar in ages, and haven't been around here for a while. Money's been kinda tight so HCFX ain't gonna get me with it's god damn GAS!

But I always use my trusty Sennheiser e840 for live use. I just go straight to desk where I add some amount of plate reverb.

We've been gigging like crazy and the e840 has never let me down. Sounds so crisp and clear. Chose it over both SM58 and Beta58 much to my surprise.

• Members

I'm the lead singer in my band playing guitar...at practice we don't use any effects cos the room has a bit of echo.

Live i guess i like a little reverb...no real effects because we do 3, 4 and 5 part harmonies live, so that is a good enough effect in itself. If we want to blend back, we just back off the mic's a bit to get a more blended, back of the room sound.

• Members

I messed around with that purple digitech vocal multi-fx for a while... nice to have the gate / compressor... but it didn't have deep enough editing to my tastes... good for at-home use but I'd never imagine taking it out live.

To be honest I'd love a compact VST rig to run through just for vocals... do something through Logic, but I'd be too afraid of computer glitches and such...

I figure I'll probably shop around for a good vocal rack processor when I start playing live so I have good control of my vox before they go to the board. I've had enough bad second-hand experiences with sound guys and friend's bands' vocals to rather have them just deal with levels than stuff like compression and such.

I've heard sound guys tend to grumble-grumble at people who bring their own dynamic processing and such, but I figure if you're polite, know your {censored}, and are patient with them, it's better than completely leaving your vocal quality in their hands.

We'll see what's really what later this year when I start playing live again for the first time since 2002 when I was just "whatever" when it came to sound quality during a gig.

I've been an on again, off again vocalist with various bands over the years. I have used a variety of different microphones. For live use, usually an AKG D1000E, SM57 / 58, or Audix i5. In the studio, I use either a 251 or a Stephen Paul modified AKG C-414EB.

Live effects are usually just verb and maybe a bit of delay. In the studio, I may toss a bit of dual pitch shift (5 cents sharp on one side, 5 cents flat on the other) to thicken it up a bit... other stuff too as the mood / song dictates - distortion, flange, tremolo - it's all fair game.

• Members

Beta 58A with just a little reverb. I'd love to throw together a vocal board but wouldn't really have any idea how to do it. I think I've seen a shot of Cedric Bixler-Zavala's board where it went something like Mic > DI > pedals > DI . . . :idk:

• Members

I don't play live, but if I did I have a Shure Beta 58A on hand. I also have another Beta 58a, a 57, and an Audix i5. However the house usually has several mics so
I don't think it's necessary to bring your own.

It's not that the club doesn't have mics dude. It's that they are potentially covered in disease. I got sick as {censored} on tour last year b/c of this very thing. Nevar again.

• Members

It's not that the club doesn't have mics dude. It's that they are potentially covered in disease. I got sick as {censored} on tour last year b/c of this very thing. Nevar again.

There was a show on TV where they opened up a telephone handset, and showed how nasty it was inside. I'm sure a club's house mic would be even more filthy.

• Members

i lack my own mic and effects, so i just use whatever the venue has. i never specifically request any effects, though there are a couple songs that i want a distortion on, so i just use a second mic and run it through my friend's ibanez smash box.

i've thought about getting a mic of my own but i have absolutely no idea how to go about choosing one. for those of you that have your own mic, how did you decide on that?

Archived