Relicing

orange worker

• Members

I wonder how he stripped the poly off of it. I've seen worse jobs, and I like a good relic if done right, but this seems like an attempt to make a quick profit, and given this models heritage, is really reaching.

• Members

You want a relic guitar? Play your guitar more.

my jazz bass is 12 years old, i've played it regularly in bands and for recording, i've lent it to other bands; it's travelled to paris and toured poland. it's been looked after but never mollycoddled; it's just a MIM fender, not a custom shop one-off.

it has a grand total of two small dings and a tiny buckle scratch on the back. there is no wood showing anywhere.

the super-thick polyurethane finish has done a superb job at protecting it. the only problem is i want it to look like it's been played :D

• Members

my jazz bass is 12 years old, i've played it regularly in bands and for recording, i've lent it to other bands; it's travelled to paris and toured poland. it's been looked after but never mollycoddled; it's just a MIM fender, not a custom shop one-off.

it has a grand total of two small dings and a tiny buckle scratch on the back. there is no wood showing anywhere.

the super-thick polyurethane finish has done a superb job at protecting it. the only problem is i
want
it to look like it's been played
:D

Well that's a bass I think a guitar gets beat up a little easier for some reason.

• Members

the super-thick polyurethane finish has done a superb job at protecting it. the only problem is i
want
it to look like it's been played
:D

Yeah, unless you buy a thin coat nitro finished guitar, and/or unless you beat your guitar to {censored} and don't look after it, most modern guitars with a thick poly finish won't ever look very worn. For better or worse, this is just a very durable finish. I prefer an older finish, nitro, worn in some, just feels better, and I do think it's better at letting the wood breath. May be bull{censored}, but there is a reason older guitars have a great sound, the wood is aged, and not having a poly finish let's them age naturally.

Now with this guitar, i have no idea how he stripped off the poly, yet still allowed the original color to show throw, unless he stripped the whole thing, and then redid it, but I don't think so. Older guitars also had the luxury of having really nice quality wood that is in harder to get these days, especially for mass produced $450 guitars.

• Members

Well that's a bass I think a guitar gets beat up a little easier for some reason.

maybe, depends how you play it i guess.

i think it really depends on the finish though. my ) and that's only left my house 2 or three times. i think they were using a much thicker lacquer on 90s fenders than they do on new squiers.

• Members

relicing is a lie
for those who wear ties
and work in suits
but like to pretend they're a hoot
a rough and ready rocker
cooked up by betty crocker
they wouldn't have a chance to play for a day
let alone the decades of fray
that most of these relics attempt to display
even tho they end up looking passe
Get some real wear and tear