New Loopers @ NAMM thread!

letsgocoyote

• Members

Plus,
unless you drummervis a human metronome or playing to a click
, you're bound to get off time with the loop you created if you're playing live.

So is all this excitement from bedroom players? Soundscapists? Help me understand?

the part I bolded is so true.

But, I'm a soundscapist, and I love my Boss RC-2. :thu: Actually, I hope the introduction of new loopers drives the price down on the old models.

• Members
Can someone honestly tell me what's the big deal? How many different loopers do you need? They all pretty much do the same thing.
:idk:

Plus, unless you drummervis a human metronome or playing to a click, you're bound to get off time with the loop you created if you're playing live.

So is all this excitement from bedroom players? Soundscapists? Help me understand?

Loopers appeal to more than just guitarists and rock musicians you know. In different genres of music, loop trimming and other advanced features suddenly become important. So is ease of use if you need to do 5 different things to your loop in under 2 seconds.

• Members
G3-xlarge.jpg

Great! I'm already to pull the trigger on a Zoom G2nu and something better comes along.

Anyone know what the street price and Looper capabilities of this fine looking pedal are?
Or if it'll run on batteries? (a quick web search for 'Zoom G3' turned up nothing)

• 11 months later...
  • Members
Can someone honestly tell me what's the big deal? How many different loopers do you need? They all pretty much do the same thing.
:idk:

Plus, unless you drummervis a human metronome or playing to a click, you're bound to get off time with the loop you created if you're playing live.

Lots of bands use click tracks for syncing loops/samples etc. There are ways and means.

Not every loop has to be rhythmic.

Short loops, that don't run on for ages, aren't so hard to get in sync.

Looping lets solo artists produce their own backing tracks on the fly, effectively, which is an amazing live tool.

It lets people make kinds of live music that are otherwise impossible.

Plus it's the best practice tool ever because it makes you listen back to what you just played, bringing out errors you won't notice at the time and making you perfect what you're playing. Most decent loopers also double as metronomes and can remember your recorded rhythm parts so you can practice soloing over them, etc. Plus some have usb so if you come up with a cool idea you can jot it down in the looper and save it for later in no more time than it takes to play the thing.

In short, a looper is an instrument that can be used in a huge variety of ways in almost any style of music but it isn't for everyone. Straight up 3 piece rock n rollers can keep walking. But as a practice tool, frankly, anyone who doesn't have one is a crazy fool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The whole thing about falling out of time with the drummer is why the trigger once/play once feature is very crucial to me. My band and I can keep pretty good time throughout our songs, so if I can loop a quick phrase and make sure that it at least starts on the beat, it'll usually come out pretty decent. The DelayLab really has me intrigued. I currently use an Akai E2, but in this other band I play in I simply use a Boss ME-50 into a DL4. I love the features of the DL4 EXCEPT that you can only loop for 15 seconds and when you switch modes than switch back on a delay, you have to reset all the knobs and settings to how they were. This looks like it could solve all of that. But a question on the presets: so, just to clarify, does it have the ability to save 30 presets, or are there 30 preset patches that you can edit, then re-save?

Out-of-sync loops? Loops with different lengths which are ratios (2:1, 4:1)? Seems pretty cool to me.

Yeah, I saw the Pigtronix Infinity demo first-hand, and even as a non-looper kind of guy, it impressed the heck out of me. One of the coolest new pedals of the show IMHO.

The Infinity stuff starts about 40 seconds into the video:

Archived