Anyone use an EHX Knockout Attack Equalizer?

companyman

• Members

I don't have mine any more but it worked and I quite liked it.

clean blend? I don't know if I would look at it that way though... there's not really any dirt or boosting going on... it's more like filtering.

• Members

I don't have mine any more but it worked and I quite liked it.

clean blend? I don't know if I would look at it that way though... there's not really any dirt or boosting going on... it's more like filtering.

yeah I get the filtering thing, so it is a low pass and high pass filter with a dry signal blend control, correct? So you can control how much of the manipulated signal you can allow to be heard, correct? Also, does it boost or cut the overall volume/gain at all?

• Members

yeah I get the filtering thing, so it is a low pass and high pass filter with a dry signal blend control, correct? So you can control how much of the manipulated signal you can allow to be heard, correct? Also, does it boost or cut the overall volume/gain at all?

..... from what I recall there's no boosting or cutting in overall gain...

put it this way .... it's like sweeping through a parametric set to a specific range rather than cut/boost on a graphic.

• Members

I think it's more like a thing that seperates your guitar very sharply into two bands and then lets you control how much of each you use, with a clean through for godknowswhy.

in practice I think you need the dry there or it would just make your guitar sound too different, the filters seem to really affect the upper mids and lower mids more than anything, so what you get is your guitar sound with the upper and lower midrange shifted somewhere else.

You have to try it really, I never examined the technical side I just turned the knobs until I liked what it was doing to the sound!!

• Members

sounds like it would be pretty cool for sculpting dirty tones.

I used to use it for the opposite as my dirty sound was fat, punchy and middley how I like it, but for my cleans I always wanted a more scoopy airy tone, so I used to use the knockout for that... but I'm sure it could do the reverse too.

• Members

I use Mike Matthew Dirt Road Special amps, which have a control called Bite. I read somewhere that the Bite knob circuit was later adapted into the original Knockout pedal. So I can tell you that the Bite knob is a sort of upper-mids eq boost. I turn it down when using single coils in the bridge position, and I turn the Bite knob up when using humbuckers.

vintage-1975-electro-harmonix-attack-equ180159402174-1.jpg

• Members

very cool! The upper mids are what I am looking to get a handle on. My Firebird has quite a searing bite to it, especially with my Gibson Goldtone GA-15, which is a bright EL84 amp with a Vintage 30 10" speaker. I typically run the amp tone almost all the way down, or almost all the way down, and the guitar tone around 3-4....still pretty bright and biting. Hoping that something like the Attack EQ might be a cheap remedy.

• Members

I thought it sounded terrible when used with dirt pedals, it was pretty nice through a clean amp on it's own though
:idk:

Funny considering the EHX web site describes it as something that can help sculpt your distortion. "Use after distortion to bring out the heavy weight punch of the metal masters."

Guess not. Does sound interesting in the clean demos.

Archived