Any Opinions about the Pigtronix Attack Sustain....

companyman

• Members

Has anyone used the ADSR's cv with something like the Freqbox? I am really interested in incorporating it along with: a Freqbox, LPF, Tracer City, Gristleizer Vca (mainly), Ring Mod, Geiger Counter and Cp251, I need more control over the dynamics of the waveform. After that I should have a great guitar synth setup. Sausagefoot, do you use yours that way?

• Members

Has anyone used the ADSR's cv with something like the Freqbox? I am really interested in incorporating it along with: a Freqbox, LPF, Tracer City, Gristleizer Vca (mainly), Ring Mod, Geiger Counter and Cp251, I need more control over the dynamics of the waveform. After that I should have a great guitar synth setup. Sausagefoot, do you use yours that way?

Hmmm... I will tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out :)

• Members

I just picked up the Attack Sustain today. I have to say I am really impressed with the many subtle Tremolo sounds that are available. The key seems to be the blend knob. The compression can be very squashed sounding if the blend is above 10:00, which is where the slowgear type sounds are available (if you use the harmonics control with the slowgear stuff, it is Frippertronics city! I am loving it. I find for a transparent compression the high boost switch should be on, at least with my rig, and the blend set to about 9:00, very sweet and articulate. As far as the compression sound quality, I think the Black Finger sounds a bit better, but not that much better. The added functions of the Attack Sustain are a gigantic, fun bonus. The synthy sounds are really unique, especially with the GERM4 starved voltage, Fuzzface sounds.

One question for you Attack Sustain users, the release LED on my unit lights up even when the pedal is in bypass, is this normal?
It makes me think it might not be true bypass.....

Yeah, it's normal. Mine did that.

• Members

is the trigger input the cv input that you are referring to? I have never used a pedal with a cv control, it is to synch the ASDR with other devices, yes?

Not sure because I haven't ever used one but it should be. The cv control to me is absolutely tops with pedals, it allows for so much and with more pedals being built again that have it you can continuously breathe new life into old fx. 'Syncs it' would be a good way to look at it (at least in this case), I want to apply whatever ADSR I set on the Pigtronix to the oscillator of the Freqbox, giving me more control over the dynamics.

• Members

Thanks please do, how it works with the oscillator is going to determine rather or not I get it, I don't see why it wouldn't do exactly what I want though. I just want it to act like any other ADSR in a modular synth. Once you have an oscillator, filter, lfo, vca, adsr, mixer and noise (added s&h is even better) you essentially have a basic modular synth, which is what I am working on right now.

Not sure because I haven't ever used one but it should be. The cv control to me is absolutely tops with pedals, it allows for so much and with more pedals being built again that have it you can continuously breathe new life into old fx. 'Syncs it' would be a good way to look at it (at least in this case), I want to apply whatever ADSR I set on the Pigtronix to the oscillator of the Freqbox, giving me more control over the dynamics.

well in the instruction book it says you can hook up a drum machine or whatever into the trigger input to play in synch. I am assuming that means if you are playing to a click track you can send the signal in there, I'm not sure if the signal that is sent to the trigger input is audible through the Attack Sustain or not though. As far as a CV control, I've never used one....so it is a mystery to me, perhaps an expert will chime in here and inform .

• Members

well in the instruction book it says you can hook up a drum machine or whatever into the trigger input to play in synch. I am assuming that means if you are playing to a click track you can send the signal in there, I'm not sure if the signal that is sent to the trigger input is audible through the Attack Sustain or not though. As far as a CV control, I've never used one....so it is a mystery to me, perhaps an expert will chime in here and inform .

I just want to use cv to enable the ADSR to further shape the oscillator.

No, it just triggers the AS's envelope, it isn't audible. :wave:

• Members

No, it just triggers the AS's envelope, it isn't audible.
:wave:

cool, thanks Phil...I'll have to try that. I have noticed with the tremolo sounds, that there seems to be some ramping up and down when the attack and/or the decay functions are kicked on, very cool and expressive and pick attack dependent. I can't wait to try this pedal with the band....the sustain is unbelievable on this thing.

also, buffer before, or after the Attack Sustain?

• Members

Dam, you guys, I got over my Pigtronix gas ages ago, now I find myself looking for an affordable attack/Sustain again...:mad:

I guess if the price is right I could justify buying one that could also replace my EQD tremelo:idea:

• Members

do it, although I don't see them going for cheap on ebay, I think because Howard Davis designed them, and they are discontinued, they seem to be semi-desirable (despite the fact that the Philosopher King has more features). I stumbled on this one used at a Music-Go-Round. I sold a Black Finger and a beat up SM-57 to buy it. They seem to hover around $189 used on Ebay.

• Members

I have a buffer after it... I run it first in the chain. YMMV.

well, I have pretty low output pickups, and sometimes the triggering is inconsistent, so I thought putting my CAE Bradshaw boost before the Attack Sustain might smooth out the intermittent triggering.

• Members

So I tried out the Attack Sustain at band practice tonight and it sounded great! as a straight up compressor it was amazing how I could get incredibly long clean sustain with really transparent attack. The key was to set the volume at about 1:00 and the blend to about 7:00. It actually made me use less dirt, because the clean sounds were sitting really well in the mix, very present and thick. My Goldtone GA-15 really seems to mesh with it. I didn't delve into the tremolo sounds that much but the two settings that I did use sounded great. This pedal is a keeper!

• Members

damnit, this may be my first pigtronix pedal...seems to be what i want and sounds great.

the guyatone mighty micro slowgear is cool too

I used a SV-2 for years, great little pedal, I sold it, along with a bunch of other pedals in a purge a few months back. The Attack Sustain is in a whole different league!

Archived