Any Opinions about the Pigtronix Attack Sustain....

companyman

• Members

I sold mine and got a Philosopher's King when they came out, but they're both incredible pedals. I use/used them mostly for the tremolo/slow gear/attack/release sounds since I've got another compressor (Retro-Sonic) on my board for straight-ahead compression. If you want to just use it for compression, it's a helluva compressor, but it can do so much more cool stuff. All the Pigtronix stuff is killer.

• Members

I don't use it for compression or tremolo FX, since I have those FX in dedicated pedals.

I use it for Attack Decay/Slow Gear/Tape Reverse/volume swell FX only. For those purposes, it's the best thing I've tried. I like the volume swell on the HOG, but the HOG digitizes the signal. The Attack Sustain is all analog and fat sounding.

• Members

I don't use it for compression or tremolo FX, since I have those FX in dedicated pedals.

I use it for Attack Decay/Slow Gear/Tape Reverse/volume swell FX only. For those purposes, it's the best thing I've tried. I like the volume swell on the HOG, but the HOG digitizes the signal. The Attack Sustain is all analog and fat sounding.

I am thinking about a trade, Attack Sustain for my Black Finger + a little cash...am I crazy for considering it? I love the Black Fingers compression and touch sensitivity, but the compression sounds pretty darn good on the Pigtronix, and the Trem/slowgear sounds are really tempting! :confused:

• Members

I am thinking about a trade, Attack Sustain for my Black Finger + a little cash...am I crazy for considering it? I love the Black Fingers compression and touch sensitivity, but the compression sounds pretty darn good on the Pigtronix, and the Trem/slowgear sounds are really tempting!
:confused:

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because if I could only own 1 pedal, it would be the BlackFinger. It is fundamental to me and for the tone I want from my guitars/amps.

I've never done a side-by-side comparison of the compression between the 2 pedals, but I reckon that we're talking about apples and oranges here.

• Members

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because if I could only own 1 pedal, it would be the BlackFinger. It is fundamental to me and for the tone I want from my guitars/amps.

I've never done a side-by-side comparison of the compression between the 2 pedals, but I reckon that we're talking about apples and oranges here.

yeah, I love the Black Finger as well...but I am really interested in the other functions, in addition to the compressor. I have little money these days, and am looking to maximize the effects options of the pedals that I hold onto....for instance the SMMH is staying because of the staggering number of sounds and functions in it. I am looking at it like this, Black Finger does one thing amazingly well...the Attack Sustain does at least three things equally well......hmmmmm.

• Members

I hated mine when I had it. The compression sounds good, and the Slow Gear settings sounded good, but the dirt sounded really thin in my setup. I know its one of those pedals that you have to really dive into but I just couldn't find a setting that justified taking up all of that real estate on my board.

Pretty much This.

It's a good pedal, but I mainly use it as described above. I do occasionally use the compressor on it, but rarely the dirt or as a tremolo. I have other things that I prefer to use for those tasks.

The only way to get one now is used... they have been discontinued, and were replaced in the Pigtronix lineup by the Philosopher King.

http://www.pigtronix.com/products08/philosopherking.html

• Members

well I am trying to downsize, the number of pedals I need to 4 and a tuner, the AS would be like 3 effects in one, and I really love tremolo, and slowgear. The Black Finger is the best comp I have tried (although the Hartman comp was close, and much smaller) , it is a feel thing more than anything I think. I'm not gonna start on a tube comp crystal lattice tangent, but I do think it adds a tube rectifier sag thing to my GA-15 that has a soildstate rectifier, I dig the sounds too but mostly the feel. I tried the Attack Sustain in a crappy store rig before in the past, and thought it was pretty great sounding for comp alone....the blend is very tweakable...I barely touched its other attributes, but did find a cool random trem sound.

• Members

so another question about the Attack Sustain, are there volume drops/jumps when you are using the compression as an always on kind of compressor, and you kick on the attack and decay functions for swells or tremolo effects? Or is there a unity gain between them?

so another question about the Attack Sustain, are there volume drops/jumps when you are using the compression as an always on kind of compressor, and you kick on the attack and decay functions for swells or tremolo effects? Or is there a unity gain between them?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question... you can set it for unity gain, or adjust the volume however you want it...

• Members

well I am trying to downsize, the number of pedals I need to 4 and a tuner, the AS would be like
3 effects in one
, and I really love tremolo, and slowgear. The Black Finger is the best comp I have tried (although the Hartman comp was close, and much smaller) , it is a feel thing more than anything I think. I'm not gonna start on a tube comp crystal lattice tangent, but I do think it adds a tube rectifier sag thing to my GA-15 that has a soildstate rectifier, I dig the sounds too but mostly the feel. I tried the Attack Sustain in a crappy store rig before in the past, and thought it was pretty great sounding for comp alone....the blend is very tweakable...I barely touched its other attributes, but did find a cool random trem sound.

I thought this too, but your rate will be the same for all three. So it's really limited if you're gonna use it that way.

• Members

Haven't really tried the Philosopher King yet, so IDK...
:idk:

I'm not sure I fully understand the question... you can set it for unity gain, or adjust the volume however you want it...

ok, say I have the compression set up to play with it on all of the time, at unity gain when the comp is turned off. If I kick on either the attack or decay switches for tremolo or slow gear sounds, will there be volume drops in those sounds? Or will they be at unity? Sorry, kind of hard do describe what I mean. In the PGS demo at the beginning, it seems like Andy plays the chord stuff, then switches in the slowgear sound, and it is at the same volume, just wondering if this is true for tremolo and all the settings?

• Members

I thought this too, but your rate will be the same for all three. So it's really limited if you're gonna use it that way.

yeah...I realize the rate is universal for it. I think I could live with that, probably wouldn't use slowgear and tremolo in the same songs.

ok, say I have the compression set up to play with it on all of the time, at unity gain when the comp is turned off. If I kick on either the attack or decay switches for tremolo or slow gear sounds, will there be volume drops in those sounds? Or will they be at unity? Sorry, kind of hard do describe what I mean. In the PGS demo at the beginning, it seems like Andy plays the chord stuff, then switches in the slowgear sound, and it is at the same volume, just wondering if this is true for tremolo and all the settings?

You do have a Sensitivity control for dealing with the attack dependent stuff... that allows you to adjust it for your style of playing. It's an envelope pedal, so it functions off the levels coming into it in terms of triggering the envelope aspects of it. Having said that, outside of the (to be expected) volume drop at the start of the note as it swells up, the max note level seems to be unity to me.

• Members

cool! Thanks for the input Phil, it has been very helpful! I think I am going to pick up the Attack Sustain tomorrow.

According to Pigtronix the Philosopher King is just an Attack Sustain and a Philosopher's Tone wrapped into one pedal, i.e. a more fully featured version of either pedal. I own a Philosopher King if you have any questions about it. I don't have an Attack Sustain though, as last year's NAMM had happened by the time they announced the PK. I just held out for it instead.

• Members

According to Pigtronix the Philosopher King is just an Attack Sustain and a Philosopher's Tone wrapped into one pedal, i.e. a more fully featured version of either pedal. I own a Philosopher King if you'd have any questions about it. I don't have an Attack Sustain though, as last year's NAMM had happened by the time they announced the PK. I just held out for it instead.

cool, thanks.

Do you put the Philosopher King first in the chain? Use the harmonics/grit as low gain etc.?

• Members

The PK has cv i/o? If so this is actually really close to what I have been looking for. Moog Freg Box, Moog Lpf/Robot Factory Ms-20 filter, Moog Ring Mod (even better if you could get s&h along with noise), Gristleizer vca, PK asdr, Geiger Counter for wavetables (and/or bitcrushing) and possibly a couple of other fx would make for a very tweakable guitar synth setup. In a way much like an actual modular synth. I have been working towards that for awhile and I really need to look into this more. Sausagefoot, how are you using the Pk's cv? Along with your Freq Box or...?

BTW, if you had a Goatkeeper as well it could function like a pseudo sequencer (vca I know).

• Members

I just picked up the Attack Sustain today. I have to say I am really impressed with the many subtle Tremolo sounds that are available. The key seems to be the blend knob. The compression can be very squashed sounding if the blend is above 10:00, which is where the slowgear type sounds are available (if you use the harmonics control with the slowgear stuff, it is Frippertronics city! I am loving it. I find for a transparent compression the high boost switch should be on, at least with my rig, and the blend set to about 9:00, very sweet and articulate. As far as the compression sound quality, I think the Black Finger sounds a bit better, but not that much better. The added functions of the Attack Sustain are a gigantic, fun bonus. The synthy sounds are really unique, especially with the GERM4 starved voltage, Fuzzface sounds.

One question for you Attack Sustain users, the release LED on my unit lights up even when the pedal is in bypass, is this normal? It makes me think it might not be true bypass.....

Archived