High wattage tube amps

RoboPimp

• Members

Sometimes I want more than 30/40 watt amps. When I get to jamming with the guys and everyone gets loud, I just feel like I'd be a lot punchier, along with being louder, if I had 50-100 watts. I like to keep my amps in that sweet spot but that sweet spot goes to {censored} when the band is louder than that range and I have to turn up past it (which is also fun, but in a different way)... I figured extra wattage would give me more dynamic room or whatever.

What say yee?

• Members

Those old Boogies have a feel all their own. Deep, even for an open back. I feel the same way though, last few months have been spent using 5 -12 watt amps. My Rivera just sits there with this pissed off girlfriend look on its face.

Matt

• Members

Sometimes I want more than 30/40 watt amps. When I get to jamming with the guys and everyone gets loud, I just feel like I'd be a lot punchier, along with being louder, if I had 50-100 watts. I like to keep my amps in that sweet spot but that sweet spot goes to {censored} when the band is louder than that range and I have to turn up past it (which is also fun, but in a different way)... I figured extra wattage would give me more dynamic room or whatever.

What say yee?

that particular boogie has a thing called "simulclass"

It runs 4 power tubes, 2 6L6GC in "class A/B" 2 EL34 tubes in "class A"

it's basically like having a 15 watt class A amp and a 60 watt class A/B amp running together

you get the compression, warmth and touch of grit of a "little amp" running all out and the solid power of a big amp to give it loads of volume/headroom... so no getting stomped on at jams... this amp cuts like a laser.

what say yee? I say yay...

• Members

that particular boogie has a thing called "simulclass"

It runs 4 power tubes, 2 6L6GC in "class A/B" 2 EL34 tubes in "class A"

it's basically like having a 15 watt class A amp and a 60 watt class A/B amp running together

you get the compression, warmth and touch of grit of a "little amp" running all out and the solid power of a big amp to give it loads of volume/headroom... so no getting stomped on at jams... this amp cuts like a laser.

what say yee? I say yay...

Nice, thanks for 'splainin... That sounds kinda perfect when you put it that way... I wonder if that's why I see so many jam groups (Phish, Strange Arrangement, Great American Taxi) using Mesa's... They are always those 1x12 combos and they are always keeping up just fine and sound awesome.

• Members

I recently got a 160w 2x12 combo... a very vintage Peavey Mace. It sounded kinda ass, but then I modded the hell out of and adjusted the bias way hotter and it sounds great now. And it's like the loudest thing ever and it helps my car keep traction in the snow when it's in the trunk.

• Members

160 watts, now we're talkin!!

my boogie triple recto is 150 and damn it feels good man

I must say it did feel good to open that amp up on saturday night and play just a little too loud at the gig.

well, way too loud probably... we did a cover of war pigs :lol:

• Members

oh the amp is a mark IIB

it's not the "holy grail" C+ but it's damn fine sounding, sits really well in a live mix and mics up really well.

I dunno if the hardwood/wicker have anything to do with it but it does have a very dense, solid, cutting sound.

the ability to mix different power tubes is cool, I've used 6L6s, EL34s and KT66s in there, next I think I am gunna try 6V6s.

• Members

Nice! I love Boogie amps. Got one on my short list.

I used to own a Peavey Heritage VTX - solid state pre and 4 6L6s for power. Man, was it loud! It weighed about 80 lbs, and I just got tired of lugging it around. I'm using a Epiphone Valve Jr cab and head now.

Archived