High wattage tube amps

RoboPimp

• Members
that particular boogie has a thing called "simulclass"

It runs 4 power tubes, 2 6L6GC in "class A/B" 2 EL34 tubes in "class A"

it's basically like having a 15 watt class A amp and a 60 watt class A/B amp running together

you get the compression, warmth and touch of grit of a "little amp" running all out and the solid power of a big amp to give it loads of volume/headroom... so no getting stomped on at jams... this amp cuts like a laser.

what say yee? I say yay...

The funny thing about 15W of boogie is that the fixed, cold bias still makes it difficult to get the power tubes to distort at tolerable volume levels. :lol: I do LOVE the pick attack and sensitivity of boogie triode, class-A.

Just magical. :love:

• Members

I much prefer high wattage amps. Got me a new 100 watt head coming in the mail tomorrow :)

I know that low wattage amps are fun and useful for certain things, but they just don't work for me. Even if my amp never goes up to 10, I like the clarity and bottom end that all the headroom gives you. To get 15 or 30 watts up to the same kind of volumes I play at, it's gonna be mushy and loose sounding, and that may work for some styles, but it doesn't work for mine.

Archived