Help with Od/Dist pedal choices (replacing dod 250)

JMR

• Members

So, I got an old DOD 250 for Christmas. It's much too midsy for my Peavey Classic 30. It's just too, too much mids. Also, It doesn't have quite enough gain. Not much bass, either. A tone knob would've really helped with this pedal. My amp has plenty of mids on tap.

So, i'm looking around for some alternatives. I play a mix of genres, mostly post-rock and math rock stuff, and also some hardcore punk.

As far as tone goes: I like clarity and bass response. I want it to sound big, open and clear. A good range of gain would be nice. Not looking for something super high gain or fuzzy, My Big Muff with tone wicker has the covered. My favorite amps I ever heard/played tend to be Sunn, Ampeg, and older marshalls (nothing past the 800). I also like Vox ac30s. Peavey Classics and VTMs are also nice.

http://last.fm/user/jamreu - this is the music I'm into.

Guitar: Fender Toronado w/ Surf 90 neck and Mean 90 bridge

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 w/ Celestion Greenback

I've been looking at a couple of different pedals (most of which I haven't had the chance to play):

Way Huge Electronics Angry Troll (the fat sandwich also seemed rather cool)

ZVex Vextron Series Distortron

Visual Sound V2 Open Road Overdrive

I'm open to other options, too, of course.

I don't have a whole lot of disposable income.

• Members

Eesh, this thread is a who's who of lackluster drive pedals if I've ever seen one.

Had a 250, had an MXR Dist+... lost the 250 and gave the MXR away. I just hate the break up of the MXR especially. So.... I dunno, unpleasant. Palm mutes sound like ass.

Man, just get some modded tube screamer. The boo-teek-ish tube screamers always have reduced mids and better bass response. Usually they also have more volume and gain. You'd be hard pressed to go wrong.

They might not get you into hardcore punk territory, unless you're talking like DK/Subhumans type old school punk tone. They excel at that.

If you can't pick one out and wanna stay cheap, get a Bad Monkey. The independent treb/bass controls are a feature that you will surely use, and find works better than a single tone knob. Good luck on your search. Some guys have been buying/selling/buying/selling overdrives for the better half of a century.

• Members

Also, It doesn't have quite enough gain. Not much bass, either. - I like clarity and bass response. I want it to sound big, open and clear. A good range of gain would be nice. Not looking for something super high gain or fuzzy- .

You might consider the MI Audio Boost n Buff as well .

• Members

however, lightning bolt and husker du are two of my absolute favorites.

And Bob Moulds's sound is pure Distortion Plus. Spot, the engineer/producer for a lot of the albums, reports that Bob plugged right into the MXR, then some spatial spread from an Eventide processor and right to tape.

• Members

Hmmm. A grey DOD 250 would've been perfect based on what you're describing. After 10 years, the Solid Gold Superdrive kicked my 250 off my board; SD is based on the 250 (and D+) but it's more transparent. Has plenty of low end. I've really been trying to figure out how to describe what it does; it always sounds like my amp, but, well, it's an overderive. Anyhow, has plenty of gain and you can get it from PGS and return it if you don't like it. Your description of your ideal pedal is the same as mine.

Also, I'm not a fan of Mould's guitar sound (although I have a ton of respect for him) but we just toured the UK and everyone there compared us to the Du. :p I also noticed since Bob saw my band open for Magnetic Morning he's been playing G&Ls. Coincidence? I'm sure he was just too shy to come up and tell me how much he liked my tone. (What he could hear of it, anyway.) :p

A Skreddy Screwdriver might be a good choice, but I prefer the Superdrive as it's more open sounding.

If you like old Marshalls and want to cut (or at least control) mids, you could try ordering a a Blackout Effectors Mantra direct and ask for the low gain mod. SUPER open, natural sounding pedal, but it definitely has a(n old) Marshall vibe so I wouldn't call it transparent, although it SEEMS transparent. -E

• Members

Seems like we have similar taste in music, but for me pretty much any decent overdrive/distortion would work for that kind of style.

If I were you, and if you can afford it, I'd consider either looking for a 2-ch amp that has decent on-board dist/od (although I also love the classic 30), or maybe get two dirt pedals. I don't know too much pedals that can cover all the ground you want them to.

Dumb question probably, but have you ever tried a rat? Might not be for you if the dod 250 isn't what you want anymore, but maybe still worth a try if you're on a small budget. The ones you mensioned are all kickass pedlulz impo, but there's countless other options. I personally like the Wampler dirt pedals a lot (and the superplex in particular), and I guess the immensly popular Crunch Box and OCD are also worth mensioning...Though they're not what I'd call "transparant and open sounding". That discription sorta fits more with the Catalinbread DLS, but I can't recommend it myself, didn't like mine at all.

The Blackstar dirt pedals also get a lot of love around here, but I haven't tried one myself yet.

Archived