Is the lack of firewire in the new MacBooks a serious problem in DAW recording?

KJI

• Members

So, I was really looking forward to the new MacBooks and as been stated before, it lacks firewire. :mad:

I currently own a PreSonus FireBox, and I was thinking about moving up to an Apogee Duet interface. Also, I've been told that having the recording drive on FW was important for good DAW performance. So... does this mean the new MacBooks are not useable for a serious DAW station, or can I move everything over to USB?

I've been trying to snatch up a last-stock MacBook Pros, and it seems that Apple Korea has taken back all the left-overs in the distribution chain... :mad: Plus, with the bad economy in these parts (and the bad exchange rate for the Korea Won) :mad:, the new MacBooks are priced as the old MacBook Pros, while the new MacBook Pros are about $1000s more expensive than they were. :mad::mad:

So, before I thought I might get a MacBook Pro, but now I can only afford a MacBook, which is fine in terms of the overall performance I need (atmospheric scientist student), but why did they have to leave out FW? :facepalm:

Am I over-reacting here? Could I run a modest Logic studio from the new MacBooks without FW?

• Members

There's always PCMCIA

unless they removed that too...

MacBooks never had PCMCIA. There really is no way to get firewire into one of the new MacBooks.

Am I over-reacting here? Could I run a modest Logic studio from the new MacBooks without FW?

I'm running Logic Express on a PowerBook with no problems. I use FW for a backup disk but could easily do without it.

Problem is: MacBooks (not the PRO) were NOT precisely the best option for professional audio. There were many problems with the graphics in the MacBooks that did not exist on the PRO models.

So to make a bigger difference between the applications, they simply removed the FireWire from the smaller models. It makes sense, so if you want a REAL Mac for music, go for the PRO.

On the other hand, there are several USB 2.0 audio interfaces out there. They allow LESS simultaneous channels -blame USB 2.0 architecture- but still, you can record up to 8 at once.

• Members

You know what though, from a tech standpoint having no firewire on the Macbook seriously impacts how quickly we can do our jobs with data backup and transfers. I'm sorry, but Apple states that there's "really no need for target disk mode anymore with Boot Camp as a way of backup". Are they serious?

I think it definitely sucks that they would remove a feature that they had previously, mostly because it hasn't affected the price, and that people like myself have been getting away with running a home studio off a low-grade laptop (which worked perfectly fine) until now. I wonder if this will drive people to buy PC laptops that have firewire built in and are much cheaper.

Apple did this completely out of marketing. They are almost forcing the "pro" users into a MacBook Pro even though a lot of them saw through the bull{censored} and were able to function just as good on a standard Macbook. I guess we can't get away with it anymore, huh. Hope all you current MacBook users have Applecare so you can squeeze every last bit out of that soon-to-be relic.

• Members

I'm surprised Apple dumped firewire so soon (before USB 3.0 was fully embraced by the industry), but many of us knew this was coming. I mean, firewire drives take up less than 5% of the external HD shelf space at Fry's Electronics.

At the end of the day, MacBooks are a consumer computer, and Apple isn't the type of company to pay close attention to audio professionals when it comes to their consumer products.

Betcha Apogee has been aware of this for some time and is working on a USB 3.0 version of their Duet and Ensemble.

• Members

I use both Mac and Windows and have never seen any point in debating which is the best platform. This issue does highlight one of the big disadvantages of going with Macs - with regards to your computer hardware you will always be at the mercy of one company's whims, and that company really doesn't give a crap about pro audio users. Apple loves to strand its customers and force them to buy their latest OS/gizmo regardless of whether it's the best solution or not. Examples of this are the new computers that Apple constantly releases that won't even run the previous OS and the impossibility of buying an older operating system. Of course getting a decent laptop for Windows pro audio is also pretty much a clusterf*ck these days, but at least there are multiple options.

• Members

This just really proves that technology has a max-3 year lifespan until you *need* to upgrade.

The problem is my Duet is less than 6 months old and I planned to get a Macbook and use them togetehr when on the move. I'm not getting a Macbook Pro, the price difference is too big for the small difference there is.

The solution would be to get a PC laptop, but Apogee stubbornly refuses to provide Windows drivers for the Duet, even though they have Win drivers for their other products (maybe part of the deal with Apple).

• Members

This just really proves that technology has a max-3 year lifespan until you *need* to upgrade.

True, unless you don't care about upgrading. As long as one admits to themselves that what they have is fine and resale value means nothing, they can keep their current rig for a long time.

I had a G3/333 with SCSI drives, an ADB mouse and keyboard, and serial MIDI interface well into 2004. The sad part is it was way more stable than my rig now. Made a lot more music back then too. :(

• Members

So, I guess the consensus is that the MacBooks (NOT the Pros) are (were) not really designed for pro audio, although it's definitely "usable" for modest DAW usage. I could go with a simple USB interface as long as the quality isn't too bad (or, maybe just go with a SonicCell as my interface and be done with it...).

Audacity's comments regarding Apogee has me thinking... Look at their Duet. You can definitely think of MacBook users (not necessarily Pro users) using the simple 2in-2out interface. Do you think Apogee had known that the best-selling consumer Mac laptops (the users of which were perhaps Duet's largest market) were going to lose FW and completely alienate Duet's market? Similar thinking for Ensemble, although perhaps less than Duet. Hmmm

Doug G. : Are you doing audio tracks on your internal drive? Or are you mostly MIDI-based (and less stimulus on the HD)?

• Members

Problem is: MacBooks (not the PRO) were NOT precisely the best option for professional audio. There were many problems with the graphics in the MacBooks that did not exist on the PRO models.

That's strange, I've been using my MacBook for pro-audio for 2 years without a hitch. And not a single graphic problem. In fact, it was far more dependable and powerful than my previous 17" Powerbook used for the same purpose.

Am I doing something wrong? :poke:

I think they were IDEAL for pro-audio applications, that is, until they dropped Firewire.. Small, fast, robust design, and relatively cheap.

• Members

.. Look at their Duet. You can definitely think of MacBook users (not necessarily Pro users) using the simple 2in-2out interface. Do you think Apogee had known that the best-selling consumer Mac laptops (the users of which were perhaps Duet's largest market) were going to lose FW and completely alienate Duet's market?

I forgot to mention, the only people Apple likes to screw over more than their pro audio user base is pro audio manufacturers and software developers.

• Members

So, I was really looking forward to the new MacBooks and as been stated before, it lacks firewire.
:mad:

I currently own a PreSonus FireBox, and I was thinking about moving up to an Apogee Duet interface. Also, I've been told that having the recording drive on FW was important for good DAW performance. So... does this mean the new MacBooks are not useable for a serious DAW station, or can I move everything over to USB?

My bandmate has been recording with a USB audio interface (Mbox2) with no issues. Based on the impression I am getting from your posts, your recording needs look simple and could be satisfied by USB. You did not mention how many simulatenous tracks you will be working with and that sort of stuff.

Aside from the lack of Firewire and inferior screen technology, the Macbook's performance is actually quite close to that of the Macbook Pros, based on the reviews I've read. The Pro will pull away from the regular Macbook when Snow Leopard is released (google "snow leopard parallel"), but that's in the future.

• Members

Been using a 15" G4-1Ghz Powerbook for 7 years now and it's still going. It's also more stable and reliable than my Dual 2Ghz Powermac tower.

• Members

Audacity's comments regarding Apogee has me thinking... Look at their Duet. You can definitely think of MacBook users (not necessarily Pro users) using the simple 2in-2out interface. Do you think Apogee had known that the best-selling consumer Mac laptops (the users of which were perhaps Duet's largest market) were going to lose FW and completely alienate Duet's market?

I mailed them and asked for Win drivers and the answer was to buy a Macbook Pro. :mad:

So much for them caring about the situation or maybe they are used to the pro segment of the audio industry and Duet is too low end for them (the Duet was meant to be sold by Apple originally but somewhere along the line it was decided to keep it an Apogee product).

• Members

So much for them caring about the situation or maybe they are used to the pro segment of the audio industry and Duet is too low end for them (the Duet was meant to be sold by Apple originally but somewhere along the line it was decided to keep it an Apogee product).

I'm willing to bet the Duet is their cash cow. Apogee sells a ton of them.

The story I've heard is that the Ensemble/Maestro system was originally designed by an OEM company who sold the design to Apple. Apple really liked it but gave it to Apogee for them to put better converters and clocking into it.

I've also heard that certain elements of Vista completely preclude the Maestro software (critical for the whole Duet/Ensemble/Symphony rigs to work). Guess it was built completely around Core Audio

Archived