En Gee Dee - fender content

zygoat

• Members

Any chance you can make a clip of your TTE overdriving your amp? I'm seriously looking into buying one for myself soon but can't find anywhere to try one out extensively.

I believe at 4:17 that is what's going on

And Crunk that's an awesome guitar. I'm always super impressed by your playing when you post videos.

Do not change a thing about the way that guitar looks - it's classy; just like your playing. :phil:

PS Playability's important though... and if you feel there's too much lacquer on the fingerboard, some gentle sanding with some 0000 steel wool can cure that for you. Are you sure it's lacquer and not poly? Is it a USA / MIM or MIJ model?

yeah, the position 3 is kinda useless for me. sounds pretty neat with fuzz but i would rather use position 2 with the tone at 50-25%. this one is a custom shop '59 NOS relic...

Aaah... then it is lacquer on the neck. The steel wool comment applies. Just go easy with it and do it a bit at a time until you're happy with the "feel". Go parallel to the frets, and not up and down the neck for best results. :wave:

I am considering some brass saddles. This one has these kind of saddles and I'm not a huge fan of them.

SqStd-toploader-vintage-bridge1.jpg

Ten or twelve bucks from RS Guitarworks will get you a set of these:

SANY0004.jpg

I have the same saddles on my Duo Sonic too. I LOVE 'em! They drastically improve the intonation, and they take some of the "shrill" off the tone and give it more warmth and sustain. HIGHLY recommended.

• Members

thanks.

phil, those saddles are rad. i had the callahams on a warmoth i built, but they were pretty expensive and i didn't think they were worth the coin. i must admit the intonation is currently not as good as i'd like. those look like a good choice.

• Members

Any chance you can make a clip of your TTE overdriving your amp? I'm seriously looking into buying one for myself soon but can't find anywhere to try one out extensively.

It's a cool sound; not that anyone cares or brought it up, but I'm pretty sure that a lot of Jimmy Page's crunchtone that wasn't a Tonebender was from his Echoplex's preamp getting driven. A lot of people disregard that he had an Echoplex in his setup, the preamp most likely saturated. Just speculation; his tone on this performance being one of my faves:

[video=youtube;Jc-EdW1amwg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc-EdW1amwg

anyway, /tangent. nice Esquire dude. lookin forward to the clip, cuz i've never had the privelege of playing an esq., and your clips are always very good.

thanks.

phil, those saddles are rad. i had the callahams on a warmoth i built, but they were pretty expensive and i didn't think they were worth the coin. i must admit the intonation is currently not as good as i'd like. those look like a good choice.

The Callahams are close to $40 for just the saddles, and as far as I can tell, they appear to be the exact same thing. :idk: As I said, I have two sets - one on my Duo Sonic (a top loader, like your Tele) and one on my Tele, which as you can see from the earlier pic, is through the body. I got one at RS Guitarworks (the ones on the Tele; $10.95), and the other at WD Music (the ones on the Duo Sonic; $10.00), and both sets look identical. I would have purchased both sets from WD, but after I got the first set, they ran out of stock, and are still out of stock. Anyway, both sets worked fine with the stock Fender "length" screws, and include the height adjustment screws. They came with length screws and springs too.

Here are the links:

http://store.rsguitarworks.net/nBRSRSCOMPTL.html

http://www.wdmusic.com/compensated_tele_bridge_saddle_set_brass.html

And here's a pic of the bridge of the Duo Sonic II:

IMG_1071.jpg

Did you make it out of parts?

I think it may be time for a partscaster thread (or again).

Excuse the interuption CoC. :o

I bought a thrashed '75 Musicmaster on Ebay.

MusicmasterAllOrg.jpg

I took it to my buddy Dennis at Fender, who happens to be a CS Master Builder. He routed it out for the bridge pickup and switches for me - standard Duo Sonic routing. I also got a couple of Abigail Ybarra hand wound pickups for it while I was there. I did the seafoam green refinish work (nitro lacquer). It's hard to photograph the "real" color of it...

Onthegrass.jpg

onthegrassii.jpg

Like I said, I'm extremely happy with how it turned out, and it really "works" well for me, and fits my hands great.

There's a full thread about it... with lots of "in process" pics - around here someplace...

Archived