En Gee Dee - fender content

zygoat

• Members

word, so i recently got an ES339 and while it sounded really nice, the gibson necks are something i don't think i'll ever get used to. fenders feel so much better. so enter this esquire on the trade and it's back on like donkey kong.

i was thinking about ordering a stacked humbucker for this thing but the stock pickup is really good. super bright but nice enough. old school 7.25" radius, i'm a big fan of vintage style necks!! it has a lot of lacquer on it (fingerboard) so it does feel kind of sticky but i'm sure that will either go away or i'll get used to it. overall i'm happy. i'm gonna put a black pickguard on it.

here's pics and a clip

DSC01325.jpg

DSC01329.jpg

[video=youtube;aef9_5sqUCE]

• Members

Awesome guitar. I'm not to familiar with the Esquires other than just seeing pics of them. Tell me more about it. Are they current production models or is it older? Also, what does the toggle switch do since there is only one pickup?

• Members

Awesome guitar. I'm not to familiar with the Esquires other than just seeing pics of them. Tell me more about it. Are they current production models or is it older? Also, what does the toggle switch do since there is only one pickup?

Current production, MIM. Position 1, which would be the bridge pickup on a normal tele, is the bridge pickup with the tone control bypassed for a hotter signal. Position 2, normally both both pickups, is the bridge pickup with the tone control in the circuit, like a normal tele position 1. Position 3 is again the bridge pickup with a capacitor to give it more bass heavy sound, some have described it as a cocked wah type sound.

• Members

Oh ok, cool. I wouldn't mind one of these. Those bridges feel weird to me though, where it's raised around the edges. i guess it wouldn't take much to get used to it though. I love one pickup guitars and could definitely get by with no problems with one of these.

• Members

I love running my tele into the Rambler with the amp trem and a bit of verb! Have you ever tried brass saddles? I like brass slides the most (I never played slide until I tried a brass one and it really worked well with my style/sound) which gave me the idea about brass saddles, I would leave at least the E-A as is but try brass on the rest. It is relatively cheap and IME gives a smoother, hollow-like sound that is really nice.

Archived