OT: The geekiest thing you've done in the past week

ambient

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No I mean how could you possibly argue FOR that

Not to hijack the thread, but the jist of the argument for it is that in the US, before the Supreme Court's decision in Graham v. Florida (which in 2010 declared it unconstitutional to sentence any non-homicide juvenile offender to life without parole) 37 states, along with the District of Columbia and Federal government had statutes authorizing this sentence. Even though only 123 juveniles were serving this sentence as of the date of that case, it was still proof that there is arguably a national consensus in favor of this sentencing practice (the people elect their state legislators who in turn enact these laws, if the citizens are displeased with the laws they will elect new representatives, etc . . .). Lastly, there are a handful of cases where a juvenile commits so horrific a crime that he is arguably "sufficiently depraved" to justify this sentence.

It's not a perfect argument, feel free to pick it apart, call me an idiot, etc . . . The professor said we had to argue both sides in the paper, and I did.

• Members

Not to hijack the thread, but the jist of the argument for it is that in the US, before the Supreme Court's decision in
Graham v. Florida
(which in 2010 declared it unconstitutional to sentence any non-homicide juvenile offender to life without parole) 37 states, along with the District of Columbia and Federal government had statutes authorizing this sentence. Even though only 123 juveniles were serving this sentence as of the date of that case, it was still proof that there is arguably a national consensus in favor of this sentencing practice (the people elect their state legislators who in turn enact these laws, if the citizens are displeased with the laws they will elect new representatives, etc . . .). Lastly, there are a handful of cases where a juvenile commits so horrific a crime that he is arguably "sufficiently depraved" to justify this sentence.

It's not a perfect argument, feel free to pick it apart, call me an idiot, etc . . . The professor said we had to argue both sides in the paper, and I did.

Hey, it's academic, he probably did it to see how you'd go about it. And it sounds like you've done so in a perfectly sensible way. I'm just horrified that there is a consensus for that.

• Members

Hey, it's academic, he probably did it to see how you'd go about it. And it sounds like you've done so in a perfectly sensible way. I'm just horrified that there is a consensus for that.

I see merit in both sides of the argument. I have a problem with the general proposition of locking up a kid for the rest of his life when he didn't commit murder; however, the dissent in Graham (arguing for allowing this sentence in very rare instances) recounted the facts of a case in Oklahoma where a 16 year old kid got a ride home from a party with a 17 year old girl, and along the way they stopped for some reason and he put her head in a headlock and slashed her throat, raped her, stabbed her 20 more times, beat her, then finished by beating her face into rocks on the side of the road where they stopped. Somehow, the poor girl survived. That kid {censored}ing deserves to be in prison the rest of his life. He was 16; still technically immature and arguably not fully culpable, but I doubt he'd ever contribute to society the rest of his days.

So, I tend to agree more with the dissent because the majority in Graham announced a categorical rule making it unconstitutional to sentence any juvenile to life without parole. I think the system was fine before, where it was used extremely rarely, but in cases like the one in Oklahoma it's available for a truly horrific kid. Just my $0.02.

• Members

Organized components, only a couple thousand more to go
:facepalm:

IMGP3151.jpg

We're not so different, you and I.

IMG_0748.jpg

Those bags in that box aren't individual parts ordered from mouser and digikey, they are groupings of parts.. like one called LED's, and another called weird parts that I don't know what they are haha

IMG_0749.jpg

Dear Organization,

Please come back to me.

Love,

Matthew

• Members

He's well known for his "not sure if serious" attention to detail in what he considers 'good tone', with things like carrying around 20 fuzz faces and picking the best one on the day, and specifying the kind of screws he wants in his amp heads.

Archived